Sound while going into reverse gear *THUD*

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I think have sometimes it sound as if i hit something while reverse (thud thing) but i thought it was my brakes...

BTW Alex when u come back KK ?? hehehe since more cheaper parts in KL thought wanna kirim these and something else :)

Was there since year 1989 and fully moving back my hometown now since 2 years ago. No more kayu balak lar....LOL

kaiserrand;683399 said:
Bro Alex,
Everything ok now already?

Hi Bro i just went to BA Tmn Maluri yesterday and get my parts, so still waiting my mechanic after he finish cerebrate his Depavali on friday only manage to fix it.
Sure will update the out come to confirm whether is the RUBBER MOUNTING Rear was the culprit or not.
Btw i will change the 2 pcs of the RUBBER MOUNTING Front too. Cheers...

Alex5522;683405 said:
Hi Bro i just went to BA Tmn Maluri yesterday and get my parts, so still waiting my mechanic after he finish cerebrate his Depavali on friday only manage to fix it.
Sure will update the out come to confirm whether is the RUBBER MOUNTING Rear was the culprit or not.
Btw i will change the 2 pcs of the RUBBER MOUNTING Front too. Cheers...

Hi bro ALEX5522 ,what's the result any good news. did the sound gone like the wind or came with wind .all the best .

boys toy auto;683983 said:
Hi bro ALEX5522 ,what's the result any good news. did the sound gone like the wind or came with wind .all the best .

Bro,
Yes the culprit of the "THUD" sound when engage gear to R was the 3 bushing which mentioned by bro kaiserrand.
After i replace the bushing at this afternoon from my regular workshop the sound gone and my UDM come back to normal now. Will post some picture of the bushing replacement here later. Thanks again to bro kaiserrand of his this valuable posting.

Hi Alex,

Mind to share to total damage?

Mine not yet produce any sound so far, but saw some small crack on rear rubber mounting.

As promised here was some picture during the 3 pieces of bushing replacement.

The Rear axle Rubber Mounting rear 33 17 6 751 808 -1pcs and Rubber Mounting front 33 17 6 770 788 -2pc
ABCD0015.jpg

Rubber Mounting rear 33 17 6 751 808
ABCD0016.jpg

Rubber Mounting front 33 17 6 770 788
ABCD0017.jpg

Damage Rubber Mounting rear
ABCD0018.jpg

Damage Rubber Mounting front
ABCD0019.jpg

Some grease on Rubber Mounting rear before fixing
ABCD0001.jpg

Rubber Mounting rear sitting on position
ABCD0002.jpg

Rubber Mounting front sitting on position
ABCD0003.jpg

The "THOD" sound was gone when engage to Reverse Gear and my car come back to normal now.
(Sorry for my lousy photos which snap from my nokia)

JasonYew;684024 said:
Hi Alex,

Mind to share to total damage?

Mine not yet produce any sound so far, but saw some small crack on rear rubber mounting.

The Rubber Mounting rear 33 17 6 751 808 -1pcs =RM67
The Rubber Mounting front 33 17 6 770 788 -2pc =RM66
Labour charge = RM regular mechanic was my good friend, so he charge me very cheap.

Btw bro don't mine to share what is your millage now ? Mine was just passed 180k km and the live span of the rubber mounting was the time to kaput i guess.

Mine is 106k km, but the crack not so severe.
Wait till it giving me sound and give way only change.

Yours can last until 180k km, not bad.

Hey thx for the pic... this will help me identify the effected mountings... no actual sound after i recall but its no loss to know :)

kaiserrand;670819 said:
Just to share, after replacing all 3 rear axle bushes and rear axle oil, the THUD sound is GONE! So if you're in a similar situation, jack up the car and take a look at the rear axle bushing. Most likely they're the culprits.

Bro did your 3 rear axle bushes koyak affect your Rear axle support/wheel suspension Ball joint item no 2 and the prt no 33 32 6 775 551 as diagram below?
MTIwMjlfcA==.png

I have the same sound occasionally but only when car is park on slight up-slope. Guess my bushings are also on the way out.

Alex5522;685022 said:
Bro did your 3 rear axle bushes koyak affect your Rear axle support/wheel suspension Ball joint item no 2 and the prt no 33 32 6 775 551 as diagram below?
MTIwMjlfcA==.png

Not that I know of. I didn't check la but I read that if the rear trailing arm got problem (the item no 2 is rear trailing arm ball joint) then you will feel like you are unable to steer the car properly. My car has no such issue.

It has nothing to do with drive shaft. And the common failure point of the rear trailing arms are its bushings (item no 4 and no 3, but usually no 4 la).

kaiserrand;685068 said:
Not that I know of. I didn't check la but I read that if the rear trailing arm got problem (the item no 2 is rear trailing arm ball joint) then you will feel like you are unable to steer the car properly. My car has no such issue.

It has nothing to do with drive shaft. And the common failure point of the rear trailing arms are its bushings (item no 4 and no 3, but usually no 4 la).

Bro i just change the ball joint(item no 2 for both side LR) today. I'm not really sure but i suspect it was affect by the 3 koyak bushing. The ball joint was koyak too and the symptom was my car got egit..egit sound coming from the back when come across the uneven road and crossing the bump. After check by my mechanic and it was cost by this ball joint. Now after changing the ball joint my car no more egit..egit sound any more when come across the uneven road and crossing the bump.

IanDaddy;685044 said:
I have the same sound occasionally but only when car is park on slight up-slope. Guess my bushings are also on the way out.

Hi bro
You can do test with this way- Just engage your gear to R position with brake apply and don't release your brake and hear any Thud sound(knocking/kicking sound). You can do test this step with few time to confirm it.

Alex5522;685325 said:
Hi bro
You can do test with this way- Just engage your gear to R position with brake apply and don't release your brake and hear any Thud sound(knocking/kicking sound). You can do test this step with few time to confirm it.

Hi bro, wow good job at last the egit-egit sound gone all the best have a quite drive.

Alex5522;685320 said:
Bro i just change the ball joint(item no 2 for both side LR) today. I'm not really sure but i suspect it was affect by the 3 koyak bushing. The ball joint was koyak too and the symptom was my car got egit..egit sound coming from the back when come across the uneven road and crossing the bump. After check by my mechanic and it was cost by this ball joint. Now after changing the ball joint my car no more egit..egit sound any more when come across the uneven road and crossing the bump.

Thanks for sharing this bro :)

Thank goodness my car does not have this issue (yet! I hope never will la...).

OT a bit: My car last time has a very faint kreonk sound from the back whenever I take corner slowly. This is very evident when I go in and out my apartment's multi storey car park. Did some online research on the sound on Youtube. Found out that it was the rear sway bar link that was cracked - also at the bushings. Changed them and sound gone.

Somehow e46 always have issues with their rubber bushings.....

Top Bottom