Sound while going into reverse gear *THUD*

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
kaiserrand;671224 said:
Dude, I think you should leave that mechanic la.

When I first got the car and took it to the mech, I ask him "this one GB problem ah boss? Die laaaa". His reply "No la. A lot of e46 after 100k mileage got this problem. Bushing problem"

He jacked the car up and showed me. And guess what, the main big rear axle bush was all cracked up. The smaller bushing was fine but decided to change them all. There are 3 bushings all together - 1 big 2 small. Problematic one is the big one.

Anyway I had this checked at my unregular mech at first. He quoted me - RM220 for all 3 bushings and RM200 for labour. I however went to my regular mech who quoted RM230 for labour, but he ask me to go buy parts at BA. The same parts cost me RM134. See how sometimes mechs can potong you?

So in total I spent RM400 (RM34 for rear axle oil). But worth the work la. They had to remove a lot of things plus they really had to use their muscles to remove and replace the bushings.

Sorry for the long rant. :)

Bro

If u dont mind where did u send your car for repair? sounds like an honest mechanic to me

kaiserrand;678671 said:
If one hear's a weird double THUD (*THUD**THUD) when accelerating or decelerating that's when its a long shaft coupling issue - or so says my mech la... :D

hahaha... I got that symptom, and the thud sound also when engaging the gear to R... so double whammy to me!

my car already around 180K KM region.. so many things to service already hahaha

Dexter;680732 said:
Bro

If u dont mind where did u send your car for repair? sounds like an honest mechanic to me

For that particular I went to Bomin Auto in Jalan Ipoh. You could also try DePro Auto in Salak Selatan.

Hi guys, i have a question for you all. When i reverse the car or put it in drive there is no thud sound. However, when i step on the brake and when the car decelerates and the gear shifts down there is a slight thud sound.

The question is, can this be solved changing the long axle shaft couplings around the centre of the car only( i think there are 3) or must i also change the rear axel?
And also the drive shaft (there are 2) i think. If its only the long axle coupling then not so expensive.

Thanks lots!

HLee;681505 said:
Hi guys, i have a question for you all. When i reverse the car or put it in drive there is no thud sound. However, when i step on the brake and when the car decelerates and the gear shifts down there is a slight thud sound.

The question is, can this be solved changing the long axle shaft couplings around the centre of the car only( i think there are 3) or must i also change the rear axel?
And also the drive shaft (there are 2) i think. If its only the long axle coupling then not so expensive.

Thanks lots!

I don't think that's the coupling. If its the coupling then you'll hear a more consistent sound. That is more likely your rear axle bushings starting to give way, because when you decelerate and gear shifts down, the load on the engine/tranny changes. Then again this is my NON-EXPERT opinion la. I came across the info when researching for my issue.

BEST thing to do is to take it to your mech and jack up the car to be sure. The rear axle bushings can be seen clearly. But accessing the drive shaft coupling requires removing a few things. Like the exhaust piping and heat shields.

bro kaiserrand mine have same2 problem to.. can u intro me or give workshop's add that u done it.
thank.

kaiserrand;670819 said:
Just to share, after replacing all 3 rear axle bushes and rear axle oil, the THUD sound is GONE! So if you're in a similar situation, jack up the car and take a look at the rear axle bushing. Most likely they're the culprits.

Bro i am having the same sound too, don't mind to share was the 3 bushes you mentioned on which diagram or there was not in either one of the diagrams as below:

1.)Output shaft
OTkyMzNfcA==.png

2.)Rear axle carrier
MTI1NDYwX3A=.png

3.)Rear axle support/wheel suspension
MTIwMjlfcA==.png

4.)Drive shaft (swivel joint)
NzM5NjJfcA==.png

5.)Drive shaft-cent.bearing-universal joint
MTQxMjcyX3A=.png

Thanks in advance.

coffin;682299 said:
bro kaiserrand mine have same2 problem to.. can u intro me or give workshop's add that u done it.
thank.

I did this at Bomin Auto: No. 565, 3 1/2 Miles, Jalan Ipoh, 51200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: 603-6251 3613, 6251 3622, 6251 8313, 6251 8322, 6258 0288

I bought the parts at Bavarian Auto though. Cheaper. You can also try to look for parts at 1st Division. All also around Jalan Ipoh area.

Speak to John or Ah Seng. Both know their stuff.

Alex5522;682698 said:
Bro i am having the same sound too, don't mind to share was the 3 bushes you mentioned on which diagram or there was not in either one of the diagrams as below:

1.)Output shaft
OTkyMzNfcA==.png

2.)Rear axle carrier
MTI1NDYwX3A=.png

3.)Rear axle support/wheel suspension
MTIwMjlfcA==.png

4.)Drive shaft (swivel joint)
NzM5NjJfcA==.png

5.)Drive shaft-cent.bearing-universal joint
MTQxMjcyX3A=.png

Thanks in advance.

Can't see your pics la bro. Anyway I replaced this:

RUBBER MOUNTING FRONT Part number: 33176770788 (2 pieces). These were not badly damaged, just slightly. But since I bought the parts already might as well change la.
RUBBER MOUNTING REAR Part number: 33176751808 (1 piece) This piece is bigger in size and the one that was giving the problem. Clearly can see it cracked.

Hope this helps.

kaiserrand;682724 said:
I did this at Bomin Auto: No. 565, 3 1/2 Miles, Jalan Ipoh, 51200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: 603-6251 3613, 6251 3622, 6251 8313, 6251 8322, 6258 0288

I bought the parts at Bavarian Auto though. Cheaper. You can also try to look for parts at 1st Division. All also around Jalan Ipoh area.

Speak to John or Ah Seng. Both know their stuff.

Care to share the parts you bought was in my diagrams ?

Alex5522;682698 said:

2.)Rear axle carrier
MTI1NDYwX3A=.png

This is weird - I can only see the pics when I replied you with quotes.

Anyway, its item #9 and #7 (2 pieces) on the diagram.

Yup i just checked with the parts no you posted, it was Item 7 & 9. I will get my mechanic to check on this next week.
Thanks and appreciate it very much.

kaiserrand;678671 said:
Hi bro,
Good advice! My mech did check the long shaft coupling when he replaced my rear diff axle bushings. The coupling WAS worn out and it cost RM190 to replace it with OEM Lemforder coupling. However, the THUD sound was NOT because of the coupling but rather because of the rear axle bushings were worn out.

If one hear's a weird double THUD (*THUD**THUD) when accelerating or decelerating that's when its a long shaft coupling issue - or so says my mech la... :D

Bro was the RM190 coupling on the diagram below and what is the part number ? Thanks
MTQxMjcyX3A=.png

Thank you so much for the info from bro kaiserrand, after i send my car to my mechanic to check for the Thud sound and we found that it was exactly the RUBBER MOUNTING REAR part no 33 17 6 751 808 was broken. Will update the results after i replace it cheers....

xcrave;683315 said:
Wow... really need to check on this... thx for the info :)

Just engage your gear to R position with brake apply and don't release your brake see any Thud sound. You can do test this step few time to confirm it.

Top Bottom