Sound while going into reverse gear *THUD*

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kaiserrand

Club Guest
Hello there sifus,I just took possession of a used 325i. Before I bought the car, I did due diligence in sending it to M1 Segambut for inspection, test drove the car and all was A-OK. Unfortunately :motz: , when I got back home today and tried to reverse the car, there was a very noticeable *THUD* sound. When I shift it back into D again, the sound was there but fainter. I've never driven an e46 before but I'm pretty sure this is something out of the ordinary. I'm seeking your help on what to tell the used car salesman when I bring it back to him on Monday:motz:. Many thanks in advance!

just tell the salesman as there was a THUD sound and let him deal it accordingly ...

i think the thud is coming from your axle, some of your axle bush / mounting must already kaput.

That's what I was suspecting too. Just got back from raya-ing but now swamped with work to take the car to the workshop. I sure hope its a minor thing since I'm going to sit on the issue for a while..

Just to share, after replacing all 3 rear axle bushes and rear axle oil, the THUD sound is GONE! So if you're in a similar situation, jack up the car and take a look at the rear axle bushing. Most likely they're the culprits.

mine has the thud sound as well. other than the annoying sound, are there any other effects as well? abit lazy to change.

LiteBulb;670897 said:
mine has the thud sound as well. other than the annoying sound, are there any other effects as well? abit lazy to change.

Me, only replace axle mounting last month
after months of 'thud' sound when engaged R

abuhasan;670939 said:
Me, only replace axle mounting last month
after months of 'thud' sound when engaged R

how much the damage(RM) for changing the axle mounting?
my e46 also have the same problem..only occur after ive change the gearbox and the foreman told me it is normal..is it true?
thanks in advance.

parc;671199 said:
how much the damage(RM) for changing the axle mounting?
my e46 also have the same problem..only occur after ive change the gearbox and the foreman told me it is normal..is it true?
thanks in advance.

Dude, I think you should leave that mechanic la.

When I first got the car and took it to the mech, I ask him "this one GB problem ah boss? Die laaaa". His reply "No la. A lot of e46 after 100k mileage got this problem. Bushing problem"

He jacked the car up and showed me. And guess what, the main big rear axle bush was all cracked up. The smaller bushing was fine but decided to change them all. There are 3 bushings all together - 1 big 2 small. Problematic one is the big one.

Anyway I had this checked at my unregular mech at first. He quoted me - RM220 for all 3 bushings and RM200 for labour. I however went to my regular mech who quoted RM230 for labour, but he ask me to go buy parts at BA. The same parts cost me RM134. See how sometimes mechs can potong you?

So in total I spent RM400 (RM34 for rear axle oil). But worth the work la. They had to remove a lot of things plus they really had to use their muscles to remove and replace the bushings.

Sorry for the long rant. :)

the longer the rant,more knowledge we can get anyway.heheh.

yup,already leave that mech..that mech was asked by my uncle,not me.
wow,Rm200++ for labour,is there any side effect if i dont change in in a mean time?how long will it last anyway?thanks again.

parc;671381 said:
is there any side effect if i dont change in in a mean time?
Not too sure la bro. But anything out of the ordinary will definitely have a negative impact over some period of time.

parc;671381 said:
how long will it last anyway?
I estimate around 100k la in terms of mileage. At least I hope so...:D

already sms my foremen asking for a quotation...
after reading this thread,my heart hurts everytime i engage to R gear.. :(

agreed with the all axle bush kaput solution..sharing time...i just do it mine at Naidu before raya ...3 pcs of axle bush rm198 then labour rm250 but this including labour replacing lower arm bush so everything run perfectly and my raya was so happy without THUD sound when reversing

in total there is 3 axle bush right?thanks for all the info..this is exactly what im looking for when joining this forum n later ill be an official member.. :D
lately,that THUD sounds in my car disappeared..sometimes ada bunyi tapi perlahan..hmmm..

Bro bimmeriang, my car oso got the thud sound. You changed with Naidu, the aircond chap beside EPF building?

Thanks very much.
bimmeriang;672140 said:
agreed with the all axle bush kaput solution..sharing time...i just do it mine at Naidu before raya ...3 pcs of axle bush rm198 then labour rm250 but this including labour replacing lower arm bush so everything run perfectly and my raya was so happy without THUD sound when reversing

currently those THUD sound reduce by itself,is there any possibility is it normal to sound like that during 1-2mnths after gearbox change?..

Guys, when you say THUD during wheen you engaged in reverse gear, does the car also vibrate or like there is a jerk effect?

kaiserrand;667119 said:
Hello there sifus,

I just took possession of a used 325i. Before I bought the car, I did due diligence in sending it to M1 Segambut for inspection, test drove the car and all was A-OK.

Unfortunately :motz: , when I got back home today and tried to reverse the car, there was a very noticeable *THUD* sound. When I shift it back into D again, the sound was there but fainter.

I've never driven an e46 before but I'm pretty sure this is something out of the ordinary. I'm seeking your help on what to tell the used car salesman when I bring it back to him on Monday:motz:.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi bro ,just advice check the long shaft coupling, very common to spoil, and then the rear axle bush , all the best, good luck.

boys toy auto;678559 said:
Hi bro ,just advice check the long shaft coupling, very common to spoil, and then the rear axle bush , all the best, good luck.

Hi bro,
Good advice! My mech did check the long shaft coupling when he replaced my rear diff axle bushings. The coupling WAS worn out and it cost RM190 to replace it with OEM Lemforder coupling. However, the THUD sound was NOT because of the coupling but rather because of the rear axle bushings were worn out.

If one hear's a weird double THUD (*THUD**THUD) when accelerating or decelerating that's when its a long shaft coupling issue - or so says my mech la... :D

Top Bottom