Smart Tag

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chookleng

Club Guest
i have bought 3 unit new smart tag a moment ago. now, just have this concern to check with you all! over the manual, it asked us to mounted the smart tag device exactly on the middle of windscreen (WTF...look ugly on mid)!! can i mounted the device at right side below of windscreen? of 3 car, one of my car are tinted with V-cool...can this smart tag penetrate thru V-cool?

Careful where you park if you decide to mount it permanently in the car as somebody will smash your window to steal it.

And on another note, I think it cant penetrate the V-Kool tinting since V-Kool have metal contents that will prevent the transmission of the smart tag signal. Try first before you mount it.

i've never mounted my smart tag on the windscreen , as when i did that i had my side mirror smashed by some small time thieves and took the device away ...since then i've never mounted it ..just for a rm100 tag i lost a substancial amount .... since then i used it manually ..when approaching the smart tag lane i hold it OR left it on the dashboard ...

as for V-cool , read somewhere here that it can penentrate ...need to find up the post somewhere around ...

ya i was told not to mounted over the windscreen too else i may face my screen been smashed! well damn...i paid RM120 per device without any card except for the devices...guess im taken for a ride than. so....if without v-kool tinted, can i mount the device at right hand side corner?

nahh i think thats the going price of a smart tag at the moment ... you can mount it anywhere you like , but make sure you remember to remove the device when not in use ...

Old VKool film design is more restrictive to the Smart Tag signal, but still work if you drive slow a bit, with good condition battery. The recent generation VKool has improved. That's because of the metallic dust used in the film, meant for IR rejection. Less metallic dust now? :eek:

Since we talking about Smart Tag topic, do you all know that there's a rebate if there's 80x of usage a month? And you need to ask the reload counter to include the rebate to enjoy it. If u keep quiet, they keep quiet.. and after sometime, some say you will lose it.

Last week I just demanded for mine and as usual the counter cashier ask: "Nak masukkan ke?" See what I told u? "Mesti la!" Then I was told there was an error and the rebate zerorised in the system and never get into my TouchN'Go card. I was ask to wait for a phone call, then I need to go to KL Sentral to collect the rebate in cash.. :stupid:

thanks buddy! removing will be too troublesome! let see if i get lucky enough to have my screen smashed or not, lol! i just hate the troublesome of removing it on n off from times to times! keep repeating by took off n hook it back, im sure before been stolen, i could have lose the devices myself coz im bit clumsy type DANG!

you can mount it anywhere on the windscreen, if you want to. I have mine on the right side of then windscreen... but remove when in places I feel insecure

my v-kool tinted back 3years ago (in 2007) so not sure if mine are consider latest or out dated v-kool...and for tat its really DANG coz im gadgets idiot

ya i prefer to place it at right side too...placing it on mid look like nerd to me. our smart tag aint cool like the 1 in singapore! ahhhhh

chookleng;585805 said:
my v-kool tinted back 3years ago (in 2007) so not sure if mine are consider latest or out dated v-kool...and for tat its really DANG coz im gadgets idiot

I felt the 2010 batch is a bit better.

Better be safe than sorry bro.

Hide the tag if not in use no matter where you are. I don't use the holder too, but I rather go thru the hassle of getting my tag ready each time I plan my journey.

agree with eggie, i keep mine in my centre armrest compartment (what to do, driver's side pocket cannot fit) and got made fun of by a friend who keeps it mounted but stores it away when he parks his car...what happened?it got stolen from his glovebox because thieves are smart enough to know that where there is a mounting thingy there is a smart tag somewhere nearby :top:

My car is tinted with V-Kool (done in 2007), and it works with SmartTag just fine. I have my unit installed on the dashboard (right in the middle), just "ahead" of the iDrive display unit, using velcro. So when I want to use it, it sticks there just fine, and I can also easily remove it when not in use. The velcro is black in colour and so is the dashboard, it's not obvious at all :)

Traveler;585998 said:
My car is tinted with V-Kool (done in 2007), and it works with SmartTag just fine. I have my unit installed on the dashboard (right in the middle), just "ahead" of the iDrive display unit, using velcro. So when I want to use it, it sticks there just fine, and I can also easily remove it when not in use. The velcro is black in colour and so is the dashboard, it's not obvious at all :)

Using velcro is the convenient and safe way to do it :top:

Traveler;585998 said:

haha...now i know who to target if im looking for some loots. LOL

I always had problems with my smart tag with VKool and it was even worst when it rained as I had to wind down my window or I'd go thru 'touch & go'.

chookleng;585777 said:
i have bought 3 unit new smart tag a moment ago. now, just have this concern to check with you all! over the manual, it asked us to mounted the smart tag device exactly on the middle of windscreen (WTF...look ugly on mid)!! can i mounted the device at right side below of windscreen? of 3 car, one of my car are tinted with V-cool...can this smart tag penetrate thru V-cool?
I am using vkool V-70, yes it can pass the tol

AB is correct, the current batch of V-Kool is smartag friendly; got it on the E46. tinting film that still result in smartag inconvenience is 3M, like on one of my other cars :(

Top Bottom