RFT Tire mobility Kit

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sh_Callum

Club Guest
Does anyone knows where to buy the F30 original tire mobility kit in Penang ? And what is the price like ? Mudah.com.my is selling around RM1.3K.

Purchased back in 2008 from Auto Bavaria pg circa rm700. This is original BMW accessory, not 3rd party. Nevertheless, it was kept in its original packing in the trunk for couple of years so can't make any comment on the use ability and effectiveness in actual situation.

Were you able to get one already since then? How much was it at present ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pchan, I bought it from AB at RM672 (approx). Yes, it is BMW original tyre mobility kit. Buying this just like buying insurance, hopefully you will not need it. This can be critical if you frequently travel out stations. For me, I am a traveling on and off to KL from Penang.

Looks like no price increase from 6 years ago :)

You already swapped out your rft with non rft?

Nope ! Still with RFT tyres. My mileage only 3,000km. RFT has greater safety measures when running at high speed if tyre is puncture. This is what you pay for. I supposed most bimmer owners are speed drivers, RFT tyres should be strongly recommended.

sh_Callum said:
Pchan, I bought it from AB at RM672 (approx). Yes, it is BMW original tyre mobility kit. Buying this just like buying insurance, hopefully you will not need it. This can be critical if you frequently travel out stations. For me, I am a traveling on and off to KL from Penang.
This mobility kit is just the pump and the sealant without the spare tyre?

With this, you need not required spare tyre. The bag is quite small, probably 1/2 the size of the laptop bag.

sh_Callum said:
With this, you need not required spare tyre. The bag is quite small, probably 1/2 the size of the laptop bag.
I know and I thought so too until when I was driving to Taman Negara on a family holiday and went through a huge pothole. Bent one rim, pumping air with the portable pump also didn't help. After that incident (had to drive extremely slow at 30km/h to the nearest town), I started looking for the spare rims. Can't trust our pothole ridden roads....:(

If I am not mistaken, if the torn length is larger than 4mm, this sealant won't help. But if you are carrying a spare tyre, then it will take up quite a lot of space too. In fact, I feel safer with the spare tyre, honestly. I am also intended to get a spare tyre if travel out station.

sh_Callum said:
Nope ! Still with RFT tyres. My mileage only 3,000km. RFT has greater safety measures when running at high speed if tyre is puncture. This is what you pay for. I supposed most bimmer owners are speed drivers, RFT tyres should be strongly recommended.
its mainly design for lazy people who dont know how to change tyre...

"greater safety measures??" bro... you are very close to look like a clown... u ever seen F1 use run flat till now?

dun meaning to be arrogant or action.. but please lah..

Bro, please read more on this lah before making such a sarcastic comments,

A run-flat tire is a pneumatic vehicle tire that is designed to resist the effects of deflation when punctured, and to enable the vehicle to continue to be driven at reduced speeds (up to 55 mph (90 km/h)), and for limited distances of up to 100 mi (160 km), or even 200 mi (320 km) depending on the type of tire.

Runflat tires are built with very stiff sidewalls, enough so that if the tire loses pressure, the sidewalls will support the weight of the car. This can prevent loss of control caused by a blowout, for instance, and allows for continued driving until a repair can be accomplished in safety.

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_tires/a/Why-I-Dislike-Runflat-Tires.htm

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/vehiclesafety/tyresafety/runflat-tyres.aspx

What is your understanding on this statement leave aside the F1 race car ? It doesn't mean it won't completely flat, but it can support and sustain for some distance before it collapse. Does this sounds like safety ? Please educate me if my understanding is wrong.

Are you sure mobility kit is for lazy people ? Ever use this before ? Do u know the steps to setup the recovery when tyre is puncture ?

Hmmm calling people whom u don't know personally that they are close to looking like clowns is a bad joke - very close to being a direct insult. Best we all refrain from making such comments here as we're all professionals in our own fields of expertise...or are we not? Bro Callum is right on the safety aspects of using a RFT tyre in this case. We're not driving F1 cars on the road nor are we allowed to drive like a F1 driver on the road by law.

One of my close friend had a 160km/h rear tire blowout on a passat CC just 3 months ago. The rft gave way but he at least can still maneuver to next closest rest areas, middle of the night and had the car flat bed back to workshop. Regardless of how this is viewed as "safety" or not, I leave it to your own opinion. It was a sight of relieve he had rft on and thereafter the incident, he kept rft from my conversation with him.

He didn't have F1 pool of engineers standby awaiting at pit stop though along NS highway, only VW roadside assist.

Thanks guys. This is a forum for discussion and sharing, irregardless of right or wrong, everyone is entitle to have their own opinion, readers have their own discretion to accept or reject, using bombarded or sarcastic words shall be refrained in this forum. I fully agreed with SeanCorr, most of us are professionals, we know how to communicate and talk professionally.

A very simple logical sense, why do we pay much higher price for RFT than normal tyres ? If RFT has no significant difference, why do we still use RFT ?

No prob mate. Cheers. Even though I recognize the safety attributes of RFT, but I will likely change to non RFT when tire is due for refreshment. Prefer non RFT ride comfort and $$$ savings in my pocket. Need the flat tire kit as back up.

In this case we use mobility kit not because we are lazy to change tyre but because there's no extra space for a spare tyre in our f30. In a F1 race, going faster and winning the race is more important than safety, so F1 opt for conventional tyre because it gives a better performance than run flat tyres. F1 cars don't use run flat not because run flat is not safer than conventional tyres but because the objective is to go faster and this is different compare to the a ordinary road car where safety is the priority.

sh_Callum said:
Bro, please read more on this lah before making such a sarcastic comments,

A run-flat tire is a pneumatic vehicle tire that is designed to resist the effects of deflation when punctured, and to enable the vehicle to continue to be driven at reduced speeds (up to 55 mph (90 km/h)), and for limited distances of up to 100 mi (160 km), or even 200 mi (320 km) depending on the type of tire.

Runflat tires are built with very stiff sidewalls, enough so that if the tire loses pressure, the sidewalls will support the weight of the car. This can prevent loss of control caused by a blowout, for instance, and allows for continued driving until a repair can be accomplished in safety.

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_tires/a/Why-I-Dislike-Runflat-Tires.htm

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/vehiclesafety/tyresafety/runflat-tyres.aspx

What is your understanding on this statement leave aside the F1 race car ? It doesn't mean it won't completely flat, but it can support and sustain for some distance before it collapse. Does this sounds like safety ? Please educate me if my understanding is wrong.

Are you sure mobility kit is for lazy people ? Ever use this before ? Do u know the steps to setup the recovery when tyre is puncture ?
mobility kit is good idea.. i am just saying rft does not contribute to any safety advantage .. specifically in blow up. i will agree in terms of being able to conitnue to move temporarily to reach the tyre shop.. but thats about all it is... 'convenience" that all.. not safety..

Sorry bro, not agreed with your comments. Anyway u are entitled to have your own opinion.

Top Bottom