red battery light

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

azfartacos

Club Guest
Hi all. Need some advise on this. The red battery light suddenly switched on while cruising on elite highway. I try disconnect battery during idle and engine dies. Could it be the alternator? Any advise on what else to check. If alternator problem replace or repair? My car is e46 320ci year 2001. Appreciate all inputs. Thanks

Is it safe to drive? The mech i send my car to is about 40 km away. Or safer to just tow it? Thanks

Can drive as long the battery still got power....once the battery is dead the car will stall...the time has come for the alternator...

bro, i have the same issue, but the battery light only appear once in a while...not constantly on...
I have just changed my battery, because it was weak previously...(now that i think of it, probably because the battery is not being charged by faulty alternator)

Can you share what brand do you change to, and the cost too?

V-Man;853049 said:
Recently changed for E60 530i - Bosch - 780

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, why it only appears after i have changed the battery.. hurm weird, btw i m driving e46, previously using DIN66, but changed to DIN72, could that be a reason why the battery light shows up too? Coz it s rated higher than it was before..i dont want to wait until car stall to confirm that it is the issue with alternator, and dont want to spend unnecessarily to replace the alternator too.. any suggestion? haha.. have just spend a lot for a top overhaul recently...

Plug in to a diagnostic tool and get the error/readings and test done... any competent workshop can carry out this test... possibilities from guessing is endless bro...

Car stalled today, probably run out of battery & alternator not charging it. Gonna replace the alternator too.

Sent from my GT-N8000

azeL_Inc;853128 said:
Car stalled today, probably run out of battery & alternator not charging it. Gonna replace the alternator too.

Sent from my GT-N8000

When the battery light came out, it will indicate that battery is below the required voltage to sustain the running of the car. You may have few km to spare depending the strength of the battery. Mechanic should have test the alternator straight away instead of asking you to change the battery. Unless is your battery is already over 2 years old, then it is worth it to change. If it rather new, re charge will do.

- - - Updated - - -

azeL_Inc;853128 said:

Sent from my GT-N8000

When the battery light came out, it will indicate that battery is below the required voltage to sustain the running of the car. You may have few km to spare depending the strength of the battery. Mechanic should have test the alternator straight away instead of asking you to change the battery. Unless is your battery is already over 2 years old, then it is worth it to change. If it rather new, re charge will do.

Have decided to change alternator. But one shop is quoting rm50 for the installation n rm90 for reconfiguration and tuning. I am a bit sceptical as why 'tuning' is required. Shouldnt it just a direct replacement? Or I need to reconfigure something, I believe he s referring to ecu reconfiguration?

My instinct saying that he s trying to earn extra money?

Sent from my GT-N8000

azeL_Inc;854277 said:
Have decided to change alternator. But one shop is quoting rm50 for the installation n rm90 for reconfiguration and tuning. I am a bit sceptical as why 'tuning' is required. Shouldnt it just a direct replacement? Or I need to reconfigure something, I believe he s referring to ecu reconfiguration?

Sent from my GT-N8000

RM50 for installation is cheap. "Tuning"? I've never come across that after alternator change. What I know if you change battery that is not identical than original and different power and if your car equipped with IBS (Intelligent Battery Systems) typically that use start/stop, you need to REGISTER the battery using diagnostic tools.

What yr is ur car bro? Mines a 2001. No tuning as such. Straight forward replacement afaik. But rm50 sure is cheap. Was charged rm70 for labour and rm780 for alternator. Original was 90 amps but mech recommend 120 amps.

azeL_Inc;854277 said:

Sent from my GT-N8000

azfartacos;854329 said:
What yr is ur car bro? Mines a 2001. No tuning as such. Straight forward replacement afaik. But rm50 sure is cheap. Was charged rm70 for labour and rm780 for alternator. Original was 90 amps but mech recommend 120 amps.

Mine is 2002 n42. I guess it s 90amps too. I saw people buying it at Bomin for 750 Bosch, and 1000+ for Valeo. Wanna go for Bosch too.

Yes, that is what I thought too, should be a straight forward replacement. I m currently in Kerteh, and the nearest trustworthy workshop is in Kuantan. Unfortunately, I can't drive there, tried and car stalled few times before I gave up. Haha. So I m thinking of buying the alternator and let the workshop here ( not much work with BMW) do the replacement. Hence the quote rm50 for replacement and 90 tuning. Sometimes I dont understand, why make up something like tuning, if you want to earn extra money, just charge me higher for the replacement labour la... sigh.

Anyway, how difficult is the alternator replacement? Can I trust common workshop to do it, I mean workshop that isn't familiar with bmw?

Sent from my GT-N8000

RM50 for labour is cheap. Let them do it. It is messy job but tell them no need "tuning" la. N42 if not mistaken does not use IBS.

I d rather not to go with them, coz will give them a chance to mess something up and blame me for not doing the "tuning"

Sent from my GT-N8000

to replace an alternator is not a difficult job. a competent mech would take less than half hour. theres a few vids on youtube for it. should check it out in case the mech u send to decides to do something 'different'.

azfartacos;854350 said:
to replace an alternator is not a difficult job. a competent mech would take less than half hour. theres a few vids on youtube for it. should check it out in case the mech u send to decides to do something 'different'.

Thanks bro. I guess I ll just try my luck. Gonna buy the alternator and pick a lucky workshop around here to get it installed.

Sent from my GT-N8000

Bought a battery charger, hoping that i can fully charge the batt, so that at least the batt last long enough for me to drive to workshop, so far no luck. Only manage to start and drive for 5-10mins. Btw bought Bosch Battmax12.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Top Bottom