Re-mapping for more horse power. Is it a good idea?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

schnitzered

Club Guest
Hi Guys and all the Masters out there. Im new to discussion threads although ive long been registered as a forumer...since 2008 i think. I consider myself a newbie here :wink: Ive been pondering whether to do re-mapping to enhance the horsepower for my E46. Whats your take on this issue guys?

Here's an example E46 330i with 231 hp as standard after remaph 244hp ... meanwhile torque is 300NM standard after remap it's 325NM ... cost would be RM2k (that was the price quoted to me) IMHO it would not be worth it for me if my car is still stock standard unless i've done exhaust systems with race cat, headers, CAI, cams ... In other words it would be my last option after i've done those things or at least 3 out 5 thing i've mentioned cos i would have to spend another RM2k to re-map again when i install new parts to the car. I'm talking about NA cars tho if you have a turbo diesel or turbo cars like the 335i then go for it.

Is there really no trade offs for ECU remap, other than parting with your money for the remap? Please be honest!

astroboy;404125 said:
Is there really no trade offs for ECU remap, other than parting with your money for the remap? Please be honest!

I'm sure there is ... i'm guessing here so please chime in if i'm wrong .... trade off's would be higher FC, faster wear n tear of engine and drivetrain components ... errr that's all i can think off actually :D

Actually a retune would be good to cater to what your engine can do.. Bear in mind that every engine would have slight variation of power from the factory, no 2 engines would be 100% identical due to the engines having so many components and that different climate and fuel would affect the power output.

So if you can custom tune it, it can actually be more fuel efficient while giving better power delivery. Best is to do an on-road tuning with lambda sensor probe attached to the exhaust.. Dynotune oso not as good as on-road tuning.

Bro ... know any good place that can do on-road tuning for our BMW?

B33mEr;404164 said:

actually, a non-tuned engine can have a higher wear and tear than a tuned one..

about your q, got.. fueling and timing are most common.. but i suggest u get better understanding on engine tuning first, before even thinking of getting it done to your car..

adliz;404172 said:
actually, a non-tuned engine can have a higher wear and tear than a tuned one..

about your q, got.. fueling and timing are most common.. but i suggest u get better understanding on engine tuning first, before even thinking of getting it done to your car..

Well the OP did ask about engine re-mapped not on-road tuning bro :listen: As almost with all re-mapped it's just a reflash based on the tuner's own test vehicle not with the owner's vehicle :D
Hence the question as to where we can do on-road tuning :D (just curious actually :D)
And yup i do have a very basic understanding of engine tuning and the various methods that can be done so all the more better if you can share your knowledge with us.

Does a re-mapped/reflash engine have a lesser wear and tear compared to a non re-mapped engine ... how is it so???

adliz;404186 said:
can.. let me know how very basic is your understanding, so i know where to start.. or maybe not.. :top:

We save it for next time we meet up for tt bro :top: i have a lot to ask :D

fabianyee;404163 said:
Actually a retune would be good to cater to what your engine can do.. Bear in mind that every engine would have slight variation of power from the factory, no 2 engines would be 100% identical due to the engines having so many components and that different climate and fuel would affect the power output.

So if you can custom tune it, it can actually be more fuel efficient while giving better power delivery. Best is to do an on-road tuning with lambda sensor probe attached to the exhaust.. Dynotune oso not as good as on-road tuning.

Thankx masters. The wealth of information provided by you guys certainly helps clear the air. I'll be looking into those options and balancing them with the cost factor. By the way do you know how much damage it will cost me to-re-tune my engine? Any help is much appreciated.

A noob question, the ECU remap is it the same as upgrading of software on the car.
MSpeed is offering an upgrading to a new version of software for E46s.
How do we determine the software of our cars?

hello there.. since u dun wanna buy new car but just upgrade...u can actually condiser buying hafl cut 325 or 328. grab the engine n stuff and stuff it in you engine bay..

need of speed? guess u gonna drive 220km to your office and reach in 5 minutes... well yea maybe u can do it at 4am in the morning.

jangan marah jokin only.

jasonnn;404352 said:
A noob question, the ECU remap is it the same as upgrading of software on the car.
MSpeed is offering an upgrading to a new version of software for E46s.
How do we determine the software of our cars?

Bro ... what MSpeed is offering is a software upgrade from BMW for the DME and gearbox ECU (step and SMG) highly recommended bro :top: To determine the software version you have for your car would be to plug-in diagnostic tools into your OBD-II port ... there may be other ways to find out or not
An ECU remap however is different it usually alters the fuel and ignition mapping based on the tuners test vehicle ... it is uploaded via OBD-II port

totoro;404365 said:
hello there.. since u dun wanna buy new car but just upgrade...u can actually condiser buying hafl cut 325 or 328. grab the engine n stuff and stuff it in you engine bay..

need of speed? guess u gonna drive 220km to your office and reach in 5 minutes... well yea maybe u can do it at 4am in the morning.

jangan marah jokin only.

:stupid: :rolleyes:

B33mEr;404164 said:

i have done it with calvin from eurocar motorsports..cost around RM2k..it definitely did give a better throttle response but cannot comment on the increase in HP or torque...all i can say is that it makes the car more lively and enjoyable to drive..

regards

Thanks for clarification b33mer, and since you said upgrading the software is highly recommended, why is that so? better FC? better HP? car smoother?

jasonnn;404392 said:
Thanks for clarification b33mer, and since you said upgrading the software is highly recommended, why is that so? better FC? better HP? car smoother?

Yup the car feels smoother for me when i did the update ... but FC and HP still remain the same :D

Theres few tuner which can remap bmw engine at the moment..there are Eurocarmotorsport,exoticmods,N1Racing,VTRRacing..price around rm2.5k onwards.

Dont know the result as i didnt try it yet but so far i heard people satisfied with the remap.

hakim_radzuan;404605 said:
Theres few tuner which can remap bmw engine at the moment..there are Eurocarmotorsport,exoticmods,N1Racing,VTRRacing..price around rm2.5k onwards.

Dont know the result as i didnt try it yet but so far i heard people satisfied with the remap.

Thanks bro for the input. :wink:

totoro;404365 said:

jangan marah jokin only.

Saudara totoro....just checking the prices and effects of on-road tuning and ecu re-mapping only. Ive learnt a bit from this discussion, thanks to the Masters. Now i'll have to check with Chu Seng. the need for speed has always been there...heheh . If i dont change cars soon then my hands will be getting itchier hahaha:wink:

Can anyone share how does a re-mapping work? Do they need to strap the car onto the operation theater to take all the readings from fuel pump pressure, injector efficiency, Co2 reading, AFM reading, spark plug firing intensity and duration, valve movement, combustion chamber ratio and what nots, to determine the new ECU map? or just one chip for all?

I know the F1 or even the E90 320Si and the //M engines are individually strapped into a lab to determined its most efficient ECU map to even the gear shift range.. are we taking about this?

Top Bottom