RE: Advise on 328 vs 318...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

silverdagger

Club Guest
Greetings sifus...I've registered here quite sometime ago...coz wanted to get myself an E46. But that time lack of knowledge, budget and all....... :confused:Now, still lack of that but with bit of budget...So sifus... im thinking of getting a 328. but a friend of mine said the maintenance of 328 is higher than a 318 for about the same yr.Is it true? and will it be recommended for a newbie like me to take straight on 328 or go for 318 1st?Ur advises are truly a blessing for me sifus....Thx!Unshine Dagger...

Thx Iqlima... appreciate tht.

But, i do wanna know wht's the significant differences between 328 vs 318, maintenance wise, parts wise, performance wise..

thx sifus...

Different especially the torque ,and remember power doesn't come cheap !!

Engine is different : 4 pot and 6 pot

Part : available

Else you can use search function for this , discuss many times before.

Hope this help

328 - 6 cyl, 318 - 4 cyl, so there'a a lot of difference in terms of power.... but once having driven a 6 cyl engine, u wouldn't want anything else... the engine just purrs... hahaha..... the roadtax may be high, but well worth it for the smoothness ... i believe the consumption v power is well balance... it could be as high as 20 lt/100km (happened once when i was looking for a parking lot during festive season for the past 45 mins) and as low as 8 lt/100km (crusing at 90/100kph on the highway) averagely i get about 11.3 lt/100km... i am not sure about parts, but the price difference shouldn't be too much, i think.... anway, the 318 is underpower, go for a test drive on both, and make the decision... it took me more than 2mths of 'searching' before i find mine

Hai..

I am a newbie to this interesting and helpful forum.. Tq to all SIFUs, for your guys guidence and assistance...

Recently, just got my 328, 1997. Yes, 'loner1my' is abseloutely correct about the facts of those two UDMs. Maintenance wise, I am not to sure.. but of course, good thing doesnt come cheep... but woth it mate.. u will enjoy it..

math is simple. 4 pot vs 6 pot. Regardless what it is, 6 pot has more power, more maintenance and more fuel. Power comes from burning fuel. So, bigger engine = more power. More power = more fuel. Bigger engine = more maintenance.

But as they say, 6 pot gives you the satisfactory feel of the car. Why, because of TORQUE. No 4 pot can give you this feel.

I am driving 328i 2000, i found that the power is a lot better than 318i. fuel consumption, i dont think is a burden if u compare to 318i(coz my friend is driving). Every full tank can make my lovely Bemmer reach 450km at least. (highway more than 500km) with added save fuel tech in my engine oil.

I think all the part 318 and 328 about the same. So i dont think it has a big gap within it. just only when u change engine oil u need extra 2 litre compare to the 318

hope it helps. If u are in penang, just pm me.. maybe i can bring u test my 328i ~~

regards

harvey

Harvey;368742 said:
I am driving 328i 2000, i found that the power is a lot better than 318i. fuel consumption, i dont think is a burden if u compare to 318i(coz my friend is driving). Every full tank can make my lovely Bemmer reach 450km at least. (highway more than 500km) with added save fuel tech in my engine oil.

I think all the part 318 and 328 about the same. So i dont think it has a big gap within it. just only when u change engine oil u need extra 2 litre compare to the 318

hope it helps. If u are in penang, just pm me.. maybe i can bring u test my 328i ~~

regards

harvey

DAMN.., my E36 328i (1992-1994 chassic with M52B28 engine) with 7/8 tank run 620KM+
without any fuel additive!!!, because E46 100KG much heavier, E90 200KG heavier!!!!

i ever test drive the E36 318i..., the engine sound very powerful in S-mode, but i watch the
speedometer it accelerate from 0-80km/h take a very serious of DURATION!!! :turtle: :toilet:
i think that would be nightmare for the E46 318i or 320i :14: :driver: :stupido:

i think there will be alot of the mouse deer, HERO, TOFU car, V-technic will love to challenge you if you got the :turtle: E46, they like to speed on me last time, and they dunno mine was
6-barrel 2.8caliber minigun.. ha ha ha ha it was show time.... :driver: :aetsch: :hahaha:

Go for the 328 bro. Buying the 318 is like buying a wira 1.5L auto with 3 speed gearbox in terms of BMW standard. IMHO the 328 is much more reliable with lots of torque. The 318 has a long history. Although it looks very economical on paper, actually it is heavier on the maintenance side. The engine is very prone to misfire. I don't know why. There's also some sludge building up in the oil sump, which is quite common on 318 model. As far as I know, the 328 doesn't have these problems.

funfer_fahrer;369011 said:
Go for the 328 bro. Buying the 318 is like buying a wira 1.5L auto with 3 speed gearbox in terms of BMW standard. IMHO the 328 is much more reliable with lots of torque. The 318 has a long history. Although it looks very economical on paper, actually it is heavier on the maintenance side. The engine is very prone to misfire. I don't know why. There's also some sludge building up in the oil sump, which is quite common on 318 model. As far as I know, the 328 doesn't have these problems.

i know why, because it was timing belt (for e36 4-pot model)..., for the New E90 and some E46 could be timing chain??? :stupid:

Wow, nvr thot e90 is that heavy.. Concurred with Funfer and Joker, the S mode is useless when overtaking lorry at 60 km/h over federal road! So so lembap. Already thinking to swap the motor hehe

Go for 328 bro! And for lesser outcome, 325 wud be sufficient. Damn good car

go for the 325
its the best compromise
its a reliable workhorse no qualms about it, just maintain her well with tender loving care :)

318..haha.. go for 325 or 328.. more power u get more fun u drive, and for the fuel,,, compare 318,320,323, 325,330... the 330 is the best for the fuel consumtion, do u believe it?.. my car 325 cat go up to 700km long distance on high speed (normally 180kmh)+ masuk kampung, but my car retune the injector, so my car get more power + more fuel saver.

THE 1.6L/1.8L/2.0L/2.2L engine was completely not suitable for the 3 series!!!, it was complete nasty nightmare!! but it will be okay in the Z series - Z3 weight only 1100kg - 1200kg

THE E90 at least need the 3.0L or 3.0L with twin turbo charged engine!!!!!
or it would be ninja turtle nightmare facing SHADOW !!!

Let's put it this way, BMW knows nuts when it comes to 4 pots. Just leave this to Honda and Toyota. I believe BMW's R n D doesn't do a long way as compared to their straight six engines. The best one to go is definitely the 3.0L in line six. It's their signature dish. Yummy, yummy.

JOKER;369330 said:
THE 1.6L/1.8L/2.0L/2.2L engine was completely not suitable for the 3 series!!!, it was complete nasty nightmare!! but it will be okay in the Z series - Z3 weight only 1100kg - 1200kg

THE E90 at least need the 3.0L or 3.0L with twin turbo charged engine!!!!!
or it would be ninja turtle nightmare facing SHADOW !!!

those 4-pot in the E90 (except the 320SI version) was just like the uas! 's
Heavy TIGER tank facing the HEROIC SOVIET T34/85 battle tank :stupid:

but E90 with 6-pots + turbo it will be just like the soviet T34/76 battle TANK...

funfer_fahrer;369580 said:
Let's put it this way, BMW knows nuts when it comes to 4 pots. Just leave this to Honda and Toyota. I believe BMW's R n D doesn't do a long way as compared to their straight six engines. The best one to go is definitely the 3.0L in line six. It's their signature dish. Yummy, yummy.

Actually the BMW 4-pot could be much better than the Honda and TOYOTA...,
the con was the bmw chassic was much heavier... compare to the NUCLEAR sun 's chassic...

if you want to get the accurate answer.. just TEST the nuclear (4-pots) with the BMW Z3 (4-pots)... soo, that would be much fair for the equal weight to 4-pots classes of comparison...

that must be MANUAL gear VS MANUAL gear

Top Bottom