Diff between M-Sport and Non M-Sport

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Just to expand on d third headrest topic :D

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46#Changes_from_2002_to_2003

Changes from 2002 to 2003

All models:

* NAV system becomes DVD based (Mark IV NAV system). In addition, the navigation system will now be available with in-dash CD-player or cassette player.
* The sound system head unit now has a new auxiliary input (aux input kit required)
* Sedans receive third rear headrest and 3-point seatbelt.

325 models:

* Rain sensor and automatic headlight control will now be part of the Premium Package.
* Front armrest will be standard in the sedan and sport wagon.
* Moonroof will be standard in the sport wagon.
* Emission regulations established by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) required BMW to sell vehicles with new emission standards in California, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. In order to comply with these regulations, starting MY03 BMW sold Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEV) in these four states.

guru;382648 said:
yes they did when i bought mine. i did the research.

i wouldn't pay extra just for some nice steering wheel and bumpers

How many extra horsepower is your msport compare to non m-sport bro? just curious to know :D cos AFAIK d HP difference is mainly for d US market ... is yours CKD or CBU bro :D

B33mEr;382651 said:
Just to expand on d third headrest topic :D

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46#Changes_from_2002_to_2003

Changes from 2002 to 2003

All models:

* NAV system becomes DVD based (Mark IV NAV system). In addition, the navigation system will now be available with in-dash CD-player or cassette player.
* The sound system head unit now has a new auxiliary input (aux input kit required)
* Sedans receive third rear headrest and 3-point seatbelt.

325 models:

* Rain sensor and automatic headlight control will now be part of the Premium Package.
* Front armrest will be standard in the sedan and sport wagon.
* Moonroof will be standard in the sport wagon.
* Emission regulations established by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) required BMW to sell vehicles with new emission standards in California, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. In order to comply with these regulations, starting MY03 BMW sold Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEV) in these four states.

yea i think it depends which country the car originate from? so the spec might vary.

if you say the local one no diff in BHP, i might believe you... AB all bukannya boleh percaya kan..

B33mEr;382653 said:
How many extra horsepower is your msport compare to non m-sport bro? just curious to know :D cos AFAIK d HP difference is mainly for d US market ... is yours CKD or CBU bro :D

oh mine imported new bro.. if i remember correctly 20-30hp? i'm not too sure tho, it was a long time ago

guru;382663 said:
yea i think it depends which country the car originate from? so the spec might vary.

if you say the local one no diff in BHP, i might believe you... AB all bukannya boleh percaya kan..

Depends on what AB is saying hehehe ... on a side note BMW have a habit of under quoting their BHP (to play it safe) as it is a known fact that certain cars depending on batch quality, machine tolerance can mean certain cars have a slightly higher HP than what it states on d brochure :D ... and d difference is in d handling ability i know for a fact that i can take corners faster and better than the non-msport variance but at d cost of comfort cos d car can be bouncy at certain times ... but i luv it nonetheless :love: :top:

p/s: BMW North America actually lead people to believe about increase HP via cams on d ZHP model when actually that isnt the case .... according to the bimmerfestwiki lahh ... have a look ... very fascinating stuff on d history of E46 :D

guru;382665 said:
oh mine imported new bro.. if i remember correctly 20-30hp? i'm not too sure tho, it was a long time ago

errr .... bro how i really wish that was d case but actually if i'm not mistaken (based on bimmer wiki) about 6hp only :(

if check with Realoem.com, how to know if its m-sport? must be 318d instead of 318i?

E46Fanatic;377602 said:
and less drag from smaller contact patch tyres (i.e. reason drag cars have skinny front tyres).

less drag is due to less frontal wind going across tires.
Nothing to do with contact patch. :)
Cheers

turbology;401161 said:
less drag is due to less frontal wind going across tires.
Nothing to do with contact patch. :)
Cheers

You are right! Here's what I dug up as well.

Another OEM provided the following new-tire rolling resistance
ranges for similar tire categories, which were derived by using the SAE
J2452 test procedure and reported by using the Standard Mean Equivalent
Rolling Force conditions described in the Appendix:
• All-season, 0.005 to 0.0062;
• Touring, 0.0058 to 0.0075;
• Performance, 0.0065 to 0.0083; and
• High performance, 0.009.

Statistical analyses of sampled replacement tires suggest that most
tires having high (AAA) UTQG wet traction grades are rated for high
speeds and that few such tires attain low levels of rolling resistance.
These results may reflect the technical difficulty of designing tires that
can achieve high levels of wet traction and low rolling resistance.

The results indicate that increasing rim diameter by 1 inch, or
about 6.3 percent for the average tire in the data set, reduces RRC by
5 to 8 percent. Compared with tires with lower speed ratings (S, T),
tires with the highest speed ratings (W, Y, Z) have 10 to 22 percent
higher RRCs, while tires with middle speed ratings (H, V) have 1 to
9 percent higher RRCs.
Tires with thicker tread tend to have higher RRCs. Tread depth is
measured and reported in increments of 1/32 inch, and an increase of
one unit, or 1/32 inch, leads to a 2.5 to 6 percent increase in RRC,

Also found out that RFT's typically can contribute up to 20% more rolling resistance co-efficient (RRC) due to the added weight. Interesting..

The full bedroom 178 page reading article can be found here: http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/sr/sr286.pdf

can anyone kind enough to tell me how to check if its m-sport by Realoem.com? which info will show it is a m sport?

Top Bottom