318 vs 328

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
nando;497289 said:
318 = 400? .... the 318 owner told me below 150.....ishhhh.....
in terms of spare part..easy to get ka bro for 328?

itz acutally RM280...my UDM is 318 yup true itz juz for normal driving not for track use LOLX

nando;497318 said:
currently using waja 1.6 manual.... rm80 to 85 spend for around 480km...speed 110 to 130

bro means your r getting bout 16cent per KM rite....my 318 getting bout 18cent per KM dont tell me the difference is just 2cent between waja 1.6 n BMW 1.8 LOL

correct me if i calculated wrongly

Here are my 2 cents..

I have a manual 318i (M) with 18" inch rims and a modified exhaust. My FC, full tank (60-65 litres) can get around 550-600km.

Also depends, on how hard you hit the accelerator. They FC I believe for 318i is around 8-10 litres per 100km, depending upon how the car is modified. Standard rims and bigger rims you will see a difference in FC.

If you keep your FC below around 10mpg, then I suppose you can get around nearly 600km on a full tank, before the light turns on. The good thing is you can monitor your FC which is below the RPM guage. Generally 1st 2nd gear eat around 20-30 lit per 100km, the 3rd and 4th gear more less 10-20 lit per 100km, and the 5th the least. If you are driving 80-100 in the 5th gear I believe it should be around 10-12 lit per 100 km the consumption.

My full tank is around about RM 100 almost, 60 litre. I never really tested with the reserve, but I believe 5 litres is for the reserve.

However, uphill driving is sometimes really embaressing if more than 2 or 3 passengers in the car. Going to genting, I can finish 30-40% of the full tank, however coming downhill comparatively nothing.

You can compare the fuel consumption of this car with the perdana 2.0 v6 twin cam more or less. From my experience highway and town driving perdana and the 318i have similar FC. Going uphill perdana has lesser fuel consumption, since the E36 is underpowered for uphill.

Also depends how you drive.

awyeah,
agree... i only feel power if driving by myself. if fullhouse am really not satisfied. am seriously considering upgrading engine (now using 1.8). at the moment really have no idea at all on which route to follow.

infinity89,
my waja frens were suprised when we compare fuel cost. 318 n waja not much difference. so they always kena when i say just sell waja n buy 2ndhand e36 which makes more sense.

infinity89;580591 said:
bro means your r getting bout 16cent per KM rite....my 318 getting bout 18cent per KM dont tell me the difference is just 2cent between waja 1.6 n BMW 1.8 LOL

correct me if i calculated wrongly

I don't understand all the hoo-haas about FC. There are so many petrol stations around what....
.....cabut :burnout:

my 2 sen worth on this 4 pot versus 6 pot discussion if i may?, ive just returned from a tanjung malim-butterworth-betong thailand-tanjung malim trip in my 318i auto, luggage and four persons on board, i can say the car ran perfectly fine, with enough power for malaysian road conditions, 100kph up the ipoh mountain pass is perfectly acceptable to me, as is 160kph when needed down the highway..... yah, the 325/328 would have more power for overtaking on 2 lane roads, but, thats like 2% or so of the driving? we all loved the ride comfort, and lack of wind noise/road roar, its a gorgous car.

as for mpg, i only moniter it for service reasons......

rizal78;582638 said:
awyeah,
agree... i only feel power if driving by myself. if fullhouse am really not satisfied. am seriously considering upgrading engine (now using 1.8). at the moment really have no idea at all on which route to follow.

infinity89,
my waja frens were suprised when we compare fuel cost. 318 n waja not much difference. so they always kena when i say just sell waja n buy 2ndhand e36 which makes more sense.

You can swap the engine to a bigger one. JAP engines like 1JZ are more powerful at a low cost and fuel consumption, but you always have the feeling you are not driving an original bmw, plus low market value currently and JDM engines with timing belts. If you are not considering to go for drag, then as most UDM owners upgrade a UDM engine, like M50B25 (190hp), M50B20 (150hp), best power at a decent cost and low road taxer for a 6 potter. BMW engines have timing chains which make the engine life span longer. Convert to manual tranny if you want more out of it. Then there are turbo kits, but in them, the hp gain is I feel is not that much or reliable.

carlsberg;583658 said:
my 2 sen worth on this 4 pot versus 6 pot discussion if i may?, ive just returned from a tanjung malim-butterworth-betong thailand-tanjung malim trip in my 318i auto, luggage and four persons on board, i can say the car ran perfectly fine, with enough power for malaysian road conditions, 100kph up the ipoh mountain pass is perfectly acceptable to me, as is 160kph when needed down the highway..... yah, the 325/328 would have more power for overtaking on 2 lane roads, but, thats like 2% or so of the driving? we all loved the ride comfort, and lack of wind noise/road roar, its a gorgous car.

as for mpg, i only moniter it for service reasons......

To know why ppl go on such discussion, u have to drive both back to back to feel the difference in performance....

More often than not, it's the 2% that put a smile on our face and makes life worth living :)

yah i have, ive also owned plenty of powerfull cars before, z28 camaros/pontiacs etc, and i know what you guys are saying, but at my age, and living a gentle life here in malaysia the 318 is ok :)

i think the saying is 'different horses for different courses' in this case, for me, less is more !

carlsberg;583940 said:
yah i have, ive also owned plenty of powerfull cars before, z28 camaros/pontiacs etc, and i know what you guys are saying, but at my age, and living a gentle life here in malaysia the 318 is ok :)

i think the saying is 'different horses for different courses' in this case, for me, less is more !

need for more speed has nothing to do with age....
Some owns faster cars as they grow older - more than half the porsche owners are white hair middle aged men...
Some prefer to mellow down after the young and furious days...

@ fabian, yea i agree, but to be honest im slowing down, and compared to europe this place is a damn dangerous place to drive, id rather not be doing 200kph in the righthand lane when a kancil suddenly serves out with 6 people on board to overtake a wira doin 90kph in the middle lane, in 33 years of driving, mostly in europe, i can tell you i have never seen such dreadfull driving as i see here....the country is lovely, the drivers for the most part are terrible !

so yea, im slower than i used to be.

i should add, a decent car in europe can at least be unleished and used, headlights on, in the 'fast' lane, and people will melt away for you....here? they just sit there, and hog the road at 110kph.... even the 318 gets held up....to have a quicker car held up would just increase the stress !

Maybe the right idea isn't driving fast and dangerously while there are traffic? And perhaps there is more to just the pursuit of top speed.

Like ALBundy said, its those '2% of the time' that makes it all worth it. Speaking from personal experience, realizing you should have more power during those '2% of the time' can be an equally, if not more, frustrating experience.

If you can afford it, I don't see why not the 328.

/thread.

My sincere advice dun waste time. Its not bout driving fast. Its bout the torque. I start with 318 so I know the feel. Tested 325 still not enuff. Now 328 oso sometimes not enuff. For BMW go the highest cc you can afford.

hai bro...talking bout engine ....this few days i check my register card n notice that my engine code is RD122......blabla an its state there racing dynamic...ist mean my engine is production by rd or??????.....my engine is 325i n dam fast too... even iam using the ori ekzos the sound walawei like hell.....

the things to consider 1. raod tax 2. fuel consumption 3. resale value. if u r mostly driving around town then go for the lower cc. myself i have a 328 for 6 years but now thinking of either selling or downgrading it to a 1.8 or 2.0 lit for my maid to drive my kids to n fro school. since its a very good car n little maintenance needed n resale value needed likely to keep it. now looking around for anyone who has downgraded. can any member share their experience?

2wenty6;584068 said:
Maybe the right idea isn't driving fast and dangerously while there are traffic? And perhaps there is more to just the pursuit of top speed.

Like ALBundy said, its those '2% of the time' that makes it all worth it. Speaking from personal experience, realizing you should have more power during those '2% of the time' can be an equally, if not more, frustrating experience.

If you can afford it, I don't see why not the 328.

/thread.

If it 2% of the time all the time..... then 328.... no questions, there is a world of difference, you always have the power when you want it. the torque is awesome though sometimes one feels it's not enough.

Top Bottom