Porsche Cayman S3.4 vs Audi TT vs Mercedes-Benz SLK 200K vs BMW 335i convertible

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ericyeoh;668854 said:
I test drive a Porche cayman, lotus evora s and audi TT.. All 3 cars has their own benefits.. But I still love the Porsche cayman.. But it does not really feel faster than the other 2 unless you are pushing it really hard.. Looking at price, the TT is still the best value for money with the new updated engine with 211hp and 350nm torque.. O-100 in 6 sec.. The evora and TT does it in less than 6 sec but does not feel that much different to me..

The evora is a true sports car.. It is difficult to get in and out.. So.. Unless you don't mind it, the evora is also a good car.. But not as luxurious as the other 2..

I end up buying the TT for it's value.. It is really fun to drive with a good mix of sportiness and comfort.. Go test drive before you buy..

Thanks, ericyeoh.
Test driven the TT, good looking coupe & nice handling. That's why its one of my choice. Manufacturer performance figure on the Cayman wasnt that good, but, I really dont mind as long as the ride & handling are good.

All the best with your hunt bro. I guess budget wouldn't be an issue on your part? Why not visit the Porsche dealership in Glenmarie or Bukit Bintang and have a look at their used units. Some of them are actually quite new and have low mileages...

Eggie86;669048 said:
All the best with your hunt bro. I guess budget wouldn't be an issue on your part? Why not visit the Porsche dealership in Glenmarie or Bukit Bintang and have a look at their used units. Some of them are actually quite new and have low mileages...

Thanks for your suggestion, Eggie86, overlooked that, been considering the re-cond dealer only all along. Good point.

brompton;669142 said:
Thanks for your suggestion, Eggie86, overlooked that, been considering the re-cond dealer only all along. Good point.

No probs mate. Looking forward to hearing about your feedback on all those rides you'll be test driving soon. :top:

Eggie86;669048 said:

The Porche dealer's used car is about rm100k cheaper than a new car..

If you are thinking about a cayman, you should wait for the new cayman due next year.. Or if you have the budget.. The new 911.. It looks really good..

Cool, didn't know that a new Cayman is about to be launched soon. Had been too engrossed with news of the impending 911 launch.

Actually I am hard pressed to determine what are the significant exterior changes between the new one & the out-going 997 model...

622545937.jpg

The front is very similar between the new and old 911 except for the running light that is different..

The rear however is very different.. First.. The lights are different.. Then the rear spoiler is not the rear grille assembly like the old one but a raised up spoiler.. This new rear looks so much better..the flow and lines look more cohesive than the 997..

The interior is a lot better than the old car..

Come to think of it, although the shape is largely similar to the outgoing 997, the new 911 sure looks more sleeker and slightly refined.

Can't imagine how good the 911 will be as a driver's car. :love:

Anyways, Brompton, hope you'll have a huge smile on your face once you've driven the Cayman S. :top:

one man's poison..another mans bla bla..so im commenting based on my own experience.

CAYMAN -ignore all the autocar, top gear reviews and stories about Porsche and actually take one for a spin. i have driven caymans, cayman S...both stock and modded and frankly i dont see what the fuss is about, the interior feels cheap, the steering is hard and uncomfortable, the mid engine layout means the car is LOUD, theres no way i would take one up to PG on a roatrip.

If you think im picky..try pulling up the handbrake on a Cayman S...it feels and sounds like its from a 1980s korean car

so unless u really want it for the brand and prestige..i wouldnt get one if its your only car...if you have 4 cars anyway and u just want another one..by all means go ahead

TT - great value for money, the DSG and TSI engine is lovely and reliable, my only issue with it is the lack of room in the rear and small boot. Also...if you go to the recon dealers, look at a sample of lets say 5 TT's then compare with 5 335's of the same year and milege, i can bet you the BMW's are in better condition...the seats, leather, lining, all confirm better in the BMW (that was my own findings when i was looking for a e92/TT)

E93 - im obviously biased since i got a e92 335, but nothing can beat its package of fantastic I6, looks, reliability, full 4 seater with generous boot..also the fantastic Idrive which is NOT avaialble in cayman and TT or the same year

however..bear in mind the E93 is 200kg heavier then its coupe brother, so powerwise and handling is def affected, you can feel the extra weight. if i could rebuy my car, i would get one without sunroof as well, save another 30kg

I too have driven d cayman s n was not impressed with d car. D 5 speed gb is pretty old tecnology. Brakes aren,t very good, U really have 2 drive a cayman bak 2 bak with a 335 2 feel 4 yrself how gd a 335 is in comparison. N d rear seats do come in very useful in d 335. I m in total agreement with ryou, dont get a cayman.

Ryou;670053 said:
one man's poison..another mans bla bla..so im commenting based on my own experience.

CAYMAN -ignore all the autocar, top gear reviews and stories about Porsche and actually take one for a spin. i have driven caymans, cayman S...both stock and modded and frankly i dont see what the fuss is about, the interior feels cheap, the steering is hard and uncomfortable, the mid engine layout means the car is LOUD, theres no way i would take one up to PG on a roatrip.

If you think im picky..try pulling up the handbrake on a Cayman S...it feels and sounds like its from a 1980s korean car

so unless u really want it for the brand and prestige..i wouldnt get one if its your only car...if you have 4 cars anyway and u just want another one..by all means go ahead

TT - great value for money, the DSG and TSI engine is lovely and reliable, my only issue with it is the lack of room in the rear and small boot. Also...if you go to the recon dealers, look at a sample of lets say 5 TT's then compare with 5 335's of the same year and milege, i can bet you the BMW's are in better condition...the seats, leather, lining, all confirm better in the BMW (that was my own findings when i was looking for a e92/TT)

E93 - im obviously biased since i got a e92 335, but nothing can beat its package of fantastic I6, looks, reliability, full 4 seater with generous boot..also the fantastic Idrive which is NOT avaialble in cayman and TT or the same year

however..bear in mind the E93 is 200kg heavier then its coupe brother, so powerwise and handling is def affected, you can feel the extra weight. if i could rebuy my car, i would get one without sunroof as well, save another 30kg

Very true. Top Gear always review their cars base on the track and driving like a mad arse. For that purpose, the Cayman maybe will win hands down no doubt.

Put it this way, if Top Gear were to review this 2 cars, the Cayman and the 335i, in the end Jeremy would probably say, yes the Cayman is good on the track, but for daily use................................................

i'll rather have the bimmer instead.

If you are still considering the Cayman, I have had experiences in the Cayman Tiptronic and Cayman S with a PDK gearbox. Get the PDK, you wun regret it......

the other 2 cars u posted on your thread title are for posing n crusing in bangsar. If you like those kinda things, then fine but to do that in a Porsche - would be a waste of your money.

Audi TT? nice also but same in the league of the posers, IMHO.

Please tell us which car u finally decide to close this thread....

I just taken delivery of the new TT with the new 2011 TFSI engine.. It is not that much of a poser car now as the updated engine give it a lot of punch.. Of course it cannot be compared to 911 levels or gtr or ferarri.. As they are on a different league..

I do not think the cayman is that bad.. But the new models that they bring in looks very cheap indeed.. I was speaking to the sales exec at porsce Glenmarie and we could spec the car up differently for a more luxury feel.. They really have a lot of options..

I think it just comes down to budget.. All these cars with exception of The slk which is a real poser car will be good..

Top Bottom