Porsche Cayman S3.4 vs Audi TT vs Mercedes-Benz SLK 200K vs BMW 335i convertible

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

brompton

Club Guest
My heart is under constant battle on deciding on a weekend fun car for next year .......... hehehe, next year coz the price will be soften even more lah :laugh:On the one hand, I have never had the opportunity in driving a proper Porsche, apart from the 944 I used to borrow from one of my colleague in Mat Salleh land years ago .......... love the feel, the badge, & hence, the urge to own one. The iconic Porsche is obviously the 997, but, rather too expensive to own. So, Cayman is the more suitable "poor man" choice as its also not too outrageously sexy. Not actually test driven it yet, but, reviews suggested that its as good as the rest, & obviously better than the SLK. Price wise, Cayman is most expensive, & TT offers the best value for money.On the other hand, like the open top feel ........... used to have a Mk II Golf GTi Cabriolet, fun to drive there, may not be too ideal in Bolehland. The 335i obviously has the upper hand as it can comfortably seat 4 persons, ride, handle & perform better than the SLK. But, a Klemannised SLK, can easily tilt the balance, except for the seating dilemma.What are the opinions of the forumers please?

It is a no brainer, u cant compare audi n slk with cayman n 335. Diff category altogether in terms of drive n performance. Audi 2000 cc turbo, slk 1800 turbo vs 3000 twin turbo n 3400 na. Uncle kleeman will not be able 2 help d slk, i assure u. My good friend has a 3.4 cayman n it still feels slow compared 2 a 335 jb or vishnu tuned. Bear in mind road tax 4 porshe is above 4k whilst 335 is only 2k. PM me n i'll let u take d 335 4 a spin. Buy me teh tarik after. M in pj. U will not regret getting a 335.

Cayman is actually rated to be more fun than the 997. Go for the Cayman unless you really, really want the option of open-top driving during weekends.

I would say go for the Cayman ... Porsche is in a different league altogether.

t2ribena;668430 said:
for a weekend car, i would go for the Cayman S or Audi TTS...

Thanks, t2ribena.
If the choice is narrow down to these 2, I'll take the Cayman S, as the latter interior is rather too unpalatable.

rx8;668466 said:
It is a no brainer, u cant compare audi n slk with cayman n 335. Diff category altogether in terms of drive n performance. Audi 2000 cc turbo, slk 1800 turbo vs 3000 twin turbo n 3400 na. Uncle kleeman will not be able 2 help d slk, i assure u. My good friend has a 3.4 cayman n it still feels slow compared 2 a 335 jb or vishnu tuned. Bear in mind road tax 4 porshe is above 4k whilst 335 is only 2k. PM me n i'll let u take d 335 4 a spin. Buy me teh tarik after. M in pj. U will not regret getting a 335.

Thanks, rx8, for your kind offer.
Agreed, the tuned 335i is a very powerful car. However, I am not too concern with performance ..........."Old" man already, hehehe, .............. but, rather the ride & handling, & maybe the Cayman S has a bit of an edge. Please correct me if I am wrong.

zhul;668482 said:
Cayman is actually rated to be more fun than the 997. Go for the Cayman unless you really, really want the option of open-top driving during weekends.

I am rather surprise to hear that actually. Do you mind kindly quote the source of review, much appreciated, thank you, zhul. It'll re-affirm my thought to get the Cayman S.

brompton;668536 said:
I am rather surprise to hear that actually. Do you mind kindly quote the source of review, much appreciated, thank you, zhul. It'll re-affirm my thought to get the Cayman S.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-comparisons/12128-base-997-vs-cayman-s.html
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152/better-track-car-cayman-s-997-a-23330/
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/greatest_drives/210056/porsche_cayman_s.html

When you have decided which one do post pics of your new ride :top:

Would definitely go for the Porsche. Mid-engined layout, almost orgasmic exhaust note, power on tap and very impressive road handling traits.

Will you be opting for a manual-box/PDK/Tiptronic version?

And your observation was spot on earlier, once bitten by the Porsche bug, it's very hard to resist!

All the best with your decision!

PS: Noticed you'd driven the 944 before.. Nice! My dad owns a 924 [auto box though]. :biggrin:

Eggie86;668605 said:
Would definitely go for the Porsche. Mid-engined layout, almost orgasmic exhaust note, power on tap and very impressive road handling traits.

Will you be opting for a manual-box/PDK/Tiptronic version?

And your observation was spot on earlier, once bitten by the Porsche bug, it's very hard to resist!

All the best with your decision!

PS: Noticed you'd driven the 944 before.. Nice! My dad owns a 924 [auto box though]. :biggrin:

Thanks, Eggie86.

What do you suggest to be the better gearshift option?

I did enjoy driving the 944 at that time, the driving experience was way better than my then 190E 2.5-16V, but, handling wasn't as sweet as my Mk II Golf GTi!

That depends on your preference. Are you the kind who prefers shifting cogs yourself or otherwise? Judging from the units I've seen advertised on Motor Trader, most seem to be specced with the PDK gearbox, and some with the TipTronic version. Btw, the PDK is the newer gearbox option which replaced the TipTronic, if I'm not mistaken. I guess the more modern Porsches doesn't suit being fitted with the manual box, unless they're the more hardcore & track-focused models like the Cayman R, 911 GT3 RS etc.

Btw, I haven't been exposed to the PDK gearbox before, cos so far I have been lucky enough to have driven a 07' Boxster [2.7L engine] with the Tiptronic box, and well, it's such a different car altogether from the BMW! :) Meant that in a good way. After all, owning a Porsche is like having access to one of the most brilliantly engineered cars ever built.

Seems like from what many have mentioned here, I guess your heart is also skewed towards giving the Cayman a shot eh? Do give it a try... :biggrin:

brompton;668683 said:
Thanks, Eggie86.

What do you suggest to be the better gearshift option?

I did enjoy driving the 944 at that time, the driving experience was way better than my then 190E 2.5-16V, but, handling wasn't as sweet as my Mk II Golf GTi!

I test drive a Porche cayman, lotus evora s and audi TT.. All 3 cars has their own benefits.. But I still love the Porsche cayman.. But it does not really feel faster than the other 2 unless you are pushing it really hard.. Looking at price, the TT is still the best value for money with the new updated engine with 211hp and 350nm torque.. O-100 in 6 sec.. The evora and TT does it in less than 6 sec but does not feel that much different to me..

The evora is a true sports car.. It is difficult to get in and out.. So.. Unless you don't mind it, the evora is also a good car.. But not as luxurious as the other 2..

I end up buying the TT for it's value.. It is really fun to drive with a good mix of sportiness and comfort.. Go test drive before you buy..

Eggie86;668714 said:
That depends on your preference. Are you the kind who prefers shifting cogs yourself or otherwise? Judging from the units I've seen advertised on Motor Trader, most seem to be specced with the PDK gearbox, and some with the TipTronic version. Btw, the PDK is the newer gearbox option which replaced the TipTronic, if I'm not mistaken. I guess the more modern Porsches doesn't suit being fitted with the manual box, unless they're the more hardcore & track-focused models like the Cayman R, 911 GT3 RS etc.

Btw, I haven't been exposed to the PDK gearbox before, cos so far I have been lucky enough to have driven a 07' Boxster [2.7L engine] with the Tiptronic box, and well, it's such a different car altogether from the BMW! :) Meant that in a good way. After all, owning a Porsche is like having access to one of the most brilliantly engineered cars ever built.

Seems like from what many have mentioned here, I guess your heart is also skewed towards giving the Cayman a shot eh? Do give it a try... :biggrin:

Thanks, Eggie86. Will give em a try to see what is avail & which gear box option is more desirable.

Top Bottom