Newbie to Purchase E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

demonfreak

Club Guest
Hi, I a newbie who is about to purchase my first ever BMW. At the moment, I am in a dilemma of looking for the right car. I have got few options and been reading this forum for a while. I have found a deal online from a dealer of a 2008 E90 from Sunway. http://www.carlist.my/used-cars/974526/2008-bmw-3-a-320i-se.html The car is a 2008 January Special Edition model clocking 82xxxkm. And it has been serviced by Autobavaria since then. I have called up Autobavaria and checked up the following:i. Mileage Tallied - Yes (Last service May 2012 at 81000km) ii. Last Service date - May 2012 (worries me because it has been more than 8 months since it was last serviced) iii. Any major issues reported or been worked on? - None except minor repairs such as light indicator & etc. iv. Car was previously owned by Sime Darby - Rent a car. - Company Car (Should I be worried with this?)The dealer do allow me to bring the car to check with the SC which I am about to bring to Autobahn Sunway (spoke to Mr. Tan)My Biggest Question should be, its a 5 years old car. What are the items I am looking at to change or replace at this point of time or at the latter when it reaches to 100k. Should I just walk out of the deal regardless, I have already paid a booking fee. I'm just afraid if I need to plant myself in garages without even being able to enjoy the car to its fullest. Would appreciate if you buddies could help me out of this dilemma.

I bought mine without major issue yet. You can contact me if you want to ask more question.

Best you bring it to a trusted mech to get an unbiased opinion. Like you said, it's a 5 year old car, so be prepared to replace a bit of stuff. Not saying that it's in bad shape, but even a well maintained car will require replacement parts when mileage reaches certain milestones. I myself bought a 2007 320i SE last year, so I know what you're going through :). Though it's my 3rd bimmer, so at least I have a bit of experience already. Main thing to watch out for is engine oil leak. That is common problem for 320i. I myself had to change valve cover and oil sumps already.

8 months no service is OK. Depends on mileage. Our bimmers are supposed to last 24,000km between services. Though for our climate, I normally do it every 10,000km. Since I use the 320i most often, that comes quite often. But my 530i reaches 10,000km in maybe 10-11months!

End of day, you have to feel comfortable with car. Take it for a thorough check to re-assure yourself.

I just sold my E90 3 months ago. Mine is 2006 oct reg in Malaysia. It's grey import model. The car has touched 150k of mileage when sold. Major things that you will need to pay attention is the engine leaks. The leak came from various points eg. Valve cover, rocker cover, vacuum pump and finally the oil sump. The major one will be the oil sump gasket replacement as it is labour intensive. Most of the items mentioned is consider normal wear and tear and will happen to mostly above 5 years old E90, especially the N46 engine.
Secondly look for the white smoke from exhaust when the car left idle for 10 mins. If there is a symptom, then your valve seal will need replacement or could be a top overhaul may required.

Thanks a lot for the great tips folks. This is great information. At the moment, I am waiting up for a mechanic appointment. I will need to bring the car down to the mechanic and ask him to check everything possible. With all these great lookouts you guy are giving, I am just having a checklist in my hand and gonna pass it to him. Ensure him to check everything thoroughly. What worries is attached. Do you think it is a major or minor ?

View attachment 28061View attachment 28062

Was involved in an accident? Seems major as airbag deployed. Should be quite a knock. Dont mean to scare you but i would give this a pass.

Its 'what else were effected' part that bothers me.

Yea bro.. I was thinking the same. Though, all parts have been changed back to Ori state. But there are questions of what else are effected due to the knock. I am going to walk away from the dealer now. I need to be nice to collect back my documents and deposit first. :) But, i cant blame them too, I doubt they knew about the accident car or I'm just being naive !

Firstly, thank you all for your million dollar advises. Totally appreciated. I have cancelled the booking for this car and the dealer had refunded full sum to me. Credit and respect to the dealer on sticking to his words. We tried to look for other options with his company. Just couldn't pursue business. So, I'm now looking for other options out there.

If anyone would want to sell their ride. Perhaps a 325i M-Sport would be very much preferred, you know what to do. :rock:

hey, i'm also looking for a 323i and i wanted to share one thing. I went to AB Glenmarie and i saw some E90s that were sent from Sime Darby Rent a car. These cars were in a bad state, from scratches all over the body to bad/faded/dull paint work. I have no idea how the users have used the car but if i were you, best to stay away from those considering the amount of touch up needed to be done. :)

silverwave;805841 said:
hey, i'm also looking for a 323i and i wanted to share one thing. I went to AB Glenmarie and i saw some E90s that were sent from Sime Darby Rent a car. These cars were in a bad state, from scratches all over the body to bad/faded/dull paint work. I have no idea how the users have used the car but if i were you, best to stay away from those considering the amount of touch up needed to be done. :)

@silverwave: Thanks for the advise mate. I have been reading lots of materials and seeking advises from the friendly experts, which I have found from this club within days of me joining as a member. BTW, thankfully, I have cancelled the booking of the car and collected the refund with no issues. I almost had bought a lemon! Therefore, I have changed my mindset a little, to take it real slow and seek for the right one. As one of my expert adviser said, "Let the car choose you and you dont choose the car." So, i'm gonna take that path.

Furthermore, its a 320 season at the moment, not lots of proper 325s are for sale. So, time to safe some cash and look with eyes wide open.

demonfreak;805861 said:
@silverwave: Thanks for the advise mate. I have been reading lots of materials and seeking advises from the friendly experts, which I have found from this club within days of me joining as a member. BTW, thankfully, I have cancelled the booking of the car and collected the refund with no issues. I almost had bought a lemon! Therefore, I have changed my mindset a little, to take it real slow and seek for the right one. As one of my expert adviser said, "Let the car choose you and you dont choose the car." So, i'm gonna take that path.

Furthermore, its a 320 season at the moment, not lots of proper 325s are for sale. So, time to safe some cash and look with eyes wide open.

good decision demonfreak.. take your time, your car will soon find you in no time.. a 325 will not regret you when it comes to speed.. join any TT session and talk to the otais, they will put some sense in choosing one..

demonfreak;805861 said:

Yup, take your time if you have a current vehicle at the moment. It's going to be my first BMW as well so i've been doing close to 2 months of research while keeping an eye for good condition cars. At times the poison to get the car was so great but i had to hold back until i completed my research. :wink:

I agree 320 is all over followed by 325 and 323. Initially i was looking for a 320 as well but then after reading so much about the 6 potter, i decided to switch :love:

demonfreak;805292 said:
Firstly, thank you all for your million dollar advises. Totally appreciated. I have cancelled the booking for this car and the dealer had refunded full sum to me. Credit and respect to the dealer on sticking to his words. We tried to look for other options with his company. Just couldn't pursue business. So, I'm now looking for other options out there.

If anyone would want to sell their ride. Perhaps a 325i M-Sport would be very much preferred, you know what to do. :rock:

A fellow OM have one 2010 325i m sport for sale.50k on the clock and perfect condition.
He wants to sell to upgrade to an F10 528i.

Top Bottom