My Dilema with BMW Purchase

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
DKNY;606395 said:
Well the first is that a BMW is no different from other cars as they get you from point A to point B in the same fashion and manner just very expensive to maintain and dubious reliability after a while

The second is that the pretty face is the same as other pretty face in the light but all the same in the dark. All will be fat, grumpy and costs lots of money once introduce to BMW LV and $$ holidays.

Those are still the outcomes, not the reasons people make the mistake of thinking that BMW's are the fastest cars on the road and wondering why they're not when they get one. Buying a BMW to be faster than hot hatches costing half the price is an expensive mistake.

The Golf GTI beats the 320d everytime if you are talking about speed/performance/overtaking. Period. Been there, tried that :-C . But the GTI looks like a college boy's car (UTAR, Sunway, UITM etc....hee hee hee) bought with his monthly allowance till he graduates then he takes over the instalments unless he wails and cries then mummy pays for a few more months/years. The Scirocco looks (a wee bit) better.

haywire;606217 said:
Buy the 325i, if you buy the 320i then in about three months there gonna be a new thread titled "Why 320i cannot tapau Civic 2.0 - need to change car"

No matter what you drive... there'll be a day when some hotshot will tapau you! Bottom line is, what does your heart desire? Go for it!!!

t2ribena;606408 said:
define the tapau bro...from the back or all the way tapau...hehe

tested before from standstill...the gti leads and only can get near to the gti after 160kmh...

tested also e60 525i with passat...same..no chance until i hit end of 3rd gear...

all stock car...

Tapau as in leading by half a car :4: I guess we have to take into account on the DSG gearbox which doesn't have the power sapping torque converter like the one in the E90.

haywire;606413 said:
hp is one thing, size and weight is another. 18 hp difference probably doesnt mean much for the bigger e90 i guess. Can win on paper only.

After some googling i found out that E90 weighs 1490kg Vs the Gti 1457kg which 33kg lighter than the E90. Oh well i guess tho the E90 may not beat the Gti in terms of raw performance but i'd like to think the E90 have an edge over the Gti in terms of handling and the finesse in which it executes high speed cornering :4:
Also the Gti is a Hot Hatch which the E90 on the other hand is a luxury sports sedan (M-Sport version) two different markets altogether.

DKNY;606395 said:
Well the first is that a BMW is no different from other cars as they get you from point A to point B in the same fashion and manner just very expensive to maintain and dubious reliability after a while

The second is that the pretty face is the same as other pretty face in the light but all the same in the dark. All will be fat, grumpy and costs lots of money once introduce to BMW LV and $$ holidays.

they both will be game over in 3 years no matter what you say today and a newer and costlier model will eventually supersede them. It'll cost an arm and a leg just to either dispose them or maintain a new and an old model at the same time

This is not helping me at all.. :( as I'm eyeing the 320D but I really appreciate the honesty from the folks here. Really helpful for me to make my decision... I either go with head (VW GTI or even Passat CC) or my heart (BMW 320D) sigh!!!!

They're all decisions of the heart. If you want to be faster in a drag than a BMW, get a GTI. If you want to be faster in a drag than a GTI, get an Evo or STI. A BMW is for driving pleasure with decent enough speed.

A decision of the head would be a Camry. :4:

When I was 20 years younger, all I can think of is "speed".. any car that can breach the 200kph boundary is heaven, even though if it takes 10km of straights! :stupid:

Today, I can only think of how to fully utilise my 320i 150hp in the corner, which I still can't in most corners. I don't need a 200hp car for sure because at over 200kph, I keep thinking which tyre will blow first.. kns!! izzit due to age ka?

I'll take a car that's comfortable with corners over a car that's only fast in the straights, anytime! Despite the hp, pickup or even engine reliability. For obvious reason, there's more corners than straights on the roads.. :4:

The BMW brand marque beats the VW marque anytime. I can say so honestly bcos I am driving a BMW 325 now and I have a VW Golf GTi, which the wife drives (and which i drive occasionally). In terms of luxury sports sedan feel and that a brand carries, probably only BMW & Merc tops it. VW GTi gives me a boy-racer feel, and makes me drive like I am in my teens. Of course, the VW Passat is more exec-feel, but still as compared to the BMW marque, it loses out in the brand-feel. This is discussed in a view that BMW & Merc are in a level playing field, as cars such as Porsche, Bentley is of course, in a different higher class.

gilajazz;606555 said:
The BMW brand marque beats the VW marque anytime. I can say so honestly bcos I am driving a BMW 325 now and I have a VW Golf GTi, which the wife drives (and which i drive occasionally). In terms of luxury sports sedan feel and that a brand carries, probably only BMW & Merc tops it. VW GTi gives me a boy-racer feel, and makes me drive like I am in my teens. Of course, the VW Passat is more exec-feel, but still as compared to the BMW marque, it loses out in the brand-feel. This is discussed in a view that BMW & Merc are in a level playing field, as cars such as Porsche, Bentley is of course, in a different higher class.

Bro! since u in the brand business, what do u think about Porsche drive feel. Bentley has got to be a super successful tycoon feel.. :10:

not very long from now the 1-series will grow large enuff in size to necessitate the introduction of a zero-series.

And the smaller engines will be more powerful than the larger cc engines...ha ha!! Then the entire 320, 323, 325, 330, 335 way of naming the models won't make any sense anymore....

mizhan;606601 said:
not very long from now the 1-series will grow large enuff in size to necessitate the introduction of a zero-series.

haha! they can also re-badge the 1 to become 3, 3 to 5, 5 to 7 and 7 to perhaps 9.. That'll reset the 1 and grow all over again.. :4:

My 20sen.

I have a 28-year old 735i, and the reason i bought it was because its the car I grew up thinking "One day I'll drive that". It has a lot of emotional appeal, more so than a modern car. Old BMWs really had a natural character and attitude about them, unlike modern-day ones which are too lifestyle-ish (along with Audis). Sean Connery vs. Pierce Brosnan, if you like.

My daily driver is a Mk6 GTi. It took me the better part of 4 months of weekend test drives to decide. I was in no rush, as the test drives are much like dating (once you buy, you're married and cannot change). I started with the golf and naturally felt it was small, and too perky. Then tried just about everything in the RM200 to 250k range and even beyond. From what I could remember, here were my thoughts:
1. BMW 323i - nice car, but a bit breathless. Perhaps my next-in-line choice would have been this
2. 325i sport. A bit of a letdown because I had high hopes for this one. crap suspension and not that much faster than a 323i
3. Audi A4 - very well-built, but the 1.8t is a snail. the 2.0t wasn't out at the time
4. Passat - very well specced and finished, but the aluminum trim caused terrible sunlight glare. rotten luck with my seating position i guess
5. C230 V6 - nice car, nice engine, but felt tinny and not very solid

As I was leaving the Passat test drive, the dealer urged me to have another go at the golf. If you really know how to drive this car, it tugs at your heartstrings. Yes it's good in a straight line, its even better in corners. Very different to a rear-drive beemer, and needs a bit more care, but infinitely adjustable on the limit. More than its performance figures, its devastatingly quick as a point-to-point car. Fast comes very naturally to the GTi. Until you regularly drive one, you'll never really appreciate this quality.

Its been about a year now, and the car has done 25k km, hasn't skipped a beat and runs beautifully. The speedo is a bit optimistic (hit 248kmh yesterday), and the tyres and exhaust can rumble tiringly on a highway. Its boot is small, and its rubbish for family trips, but as your personal daily transport, it does a fine job.

Perhaps my only regret was not coming across an E90 335i in time :)

Hope this helps

Aim for the fastest BMW you can afford then work backwards. M5(E60), M3(E90), M5(E39), M3(E46), 335i (E90), 330ci(E46)....You'll save more money this way.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom