My new craze

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Lee36328;230374 said:
Did someone mention water beading?

Meguiar's water beading...

IMG_2598copy.jpg

lee;

hahaha... your handome blue car will be more outstanding if you use zaino. once you see zaino water beading, you would not want to go back to meguairs!

very small water beads are formed but lots of them when you use zaino.

nothing is like zaino. i guarantee you!

I've taken an interest in self-detailing too, so this thread has been very useful and interesting. Just yesterday, I got myself a bottle of NXT Tech Wax for RM108-00 from Ace Hardware. I've been using mostly MG stuff cos it's easy to find but I don't think they're the bestest of the best. For eg. I used the AutoGlym EGP which E46F recommended and was very impressed by the long lasting wet, glossy look. After one EGP application, I've been able to maintain that glossy look with MG Cleaner Wax and Quik Detailer periodically. I decided to upgrade and enhance my efforts by getting better products, hence the NXT Tech Wax. Question is this, have anyone used a better wax and would care to recommend it here? I'm not quite into polishing cos my car's still only 3 months old. I take note of Zaino and would certainly love to try it. I've already heard that NXT Tech Wax ain't that long lasting which is a bane cos I don't always have time to wax the car and was hoping for an application that can spare me the time and effort of waxing too often.

In terms of cloth, I tend to use a 100% cotton polishing cloth to apply wax but have been encouraged to use foam applicators. I don't like the latter cos it looks more likely to scratch the paintwork. What would you guys recommend?

selespeed;230379 said:
lee;

hahaha... your handome blue car will be more outstanding if you use zaino. once you see zaino water beading, you would not want to go back to meguairs!

very small water beads are formed but lots of them when you use zaino.

nothing is like zaino. i guarantee you!

i agree. zaino kicks a55 hands down. the water beading remains the same after 4-6 months without any re-application in between. it's like having a layer of glass on top of the paintwork.

Juan Powerblow;230390 said:
I've already heard that NXT Tech Wax ain't that long lasting which is a bane cos I don't always have time to wax the car and was hoping for an application that can spare me the time and effort of waxing too often.

As I understand it, the wax is a sacrificial barrier, i.e. it sacrifices itself in order to protect the paint.

Personally for me, washing, claying, to some extent polishing, and certainly waxing, are pleasurable activities. In fact, if anything, the shop has been telling me I am over waxing my car. I get restless if I don't do any detailing after a few days, so lasting duration is not an issue for me.

Juan Powerblow;230390 said:
In terms of cloth, I tend to use a 100% cotton polishing cloth to apply wax but have been encouraged to use foam applicators. I don't like the latter cos it looks more likely to scratch the paintwork. What would you guys recommend?

The surface should always be prepared before waxing, i.e. washing, claying, if needed, polishing/sealing, before applying wax. That way, the surface is clean before you wax, addressing your concern of scratching the paintwork, so foam applicators should be fine. If the surface is dirty, you will scratch the paintwork even with cotton cloth. By the way, instead of cotton, try microfiber. I swear by it after trying it even tho I was initially sceptical.

NXT Tech Wax is supposed to be the longest lasting wax till date from the meguiar's range of waxes. As for polishes, there's no harm polishing your 3 month old ride if you go for the pure and non-abrasive polishes such as the #7. Polish+Wax will definitely give your ride a very much better shine and wet look, particularly on dark coloured cars. It is worth an extra step if deep, wet-look shine is what you're after of.

Using the foam/microfiber applicators will give you a thin, even layer of wax when waxing, thus making it easier for the removal of wax later on. Just make sure that the applicators are not completely dry to avoid possible scratching. From my experience, it's definitely easier to apply wax/polishes using the foam applicators compared to cloths/towels.

1996E36328i;230294 said:
You know that car owner? I think we have a common friend? His ride is just.... I got now words to express when I saw the ride and test drove it in person recently, don't know what he did to the engine either, the power is scary. All I know is he tore down the whole car and rebuilt it from scratch and spent a bomb to do it. I think he is mad (I hope he doesn't see this haha), could have bought a new car with it the amount of money but anyway very nice work done.

He posted on what he has done to the car @ WAC Forum @ http://z3.invisionfree.com/WiseAutoClub/index.php?showtopic=6750. I dont know him personally :D

Which polish+ wax combination are you on, bro lee? I've read numerous times that the #7+ 2 layers #26 combination is one of the best out there in terms of looks and shine. Btw, waxing is actually sealing if i've not mistaken. Cheers. :)

Before.

IMG_2516copy.jpg

After. Sorry, my hand was not so steady...

IMG_2550copy.jpg

Some of the products I use...

product_D11101.jpg
product_M8332.jpg
product_M2116.jpg
product_G12711.jpg

Thanks for all your advice, sifus! I'll give the foam applicator a try even though the MG Made in China ones are darn expensive and I sense I'm paying more for the branding. I think car-detailing is a pleasurable undertaking too and I find it even relieves my work stress but, it's time-consuming and I can't afford the time I would like to.

I don't think there's such a thing as over-waxing though cos since I started regular waxing, I noticed I've been able to avoid the minutest of scratches. Over time, the rewards will be well-appreciated. I do note that with MG waxes, there's already enhancement on the shine and gloss, so that caused me to question the need for polishing a new car.

I find the microfibre more useful in removing wax cos of the creases. Incidentally, I found the so-called water magnet quite useful here even though it's intended purpose is for drying the car.

So many ways to do it eh? We should orgynise a car detailing get-together to share experience. Since the E90 gang is meeting up on 14th July for lunch at Souled Out, may I suggest you guys come along? The Souled Out carpark has been specially allocated and would provide great opportunity to compare notes or shineys!

1996E36328i;230391 said:
i agree. zaino kicks a55 hands down. the water beading remains the same after 4-6 months without any re-application in between. it's like having a layer of glass on top of the paintwork.

Agreed and seconded!

At the end of the day, all product have their strength and weaknesess. The best advice I have ever recieved on car care and detailing is to find a product that you like and use it frequently.

Lee36328;230394 said:
Wah, liddat I must try Zaino already....

Will it be an improvement over this? :p

got another pix from my friend. what do you think of this? It's like a piece of mirror!

19012007041vu7.jpg

anyway, i'll see if i can get him to join onto this forum. He's quite passionate about his car similiar to you guys.

1996E36328i;230431 said:
got another pix from my friend. what do you think of this? It's like a piece of mirror!

19012007041vu7.jpg

anyway, i'll see if i can get him to join onto this forum. He's quite passionate about his car similiar to you guys.

Frak me! I can't even tell what's the colour of his car?!!

I always admire a quality shine... but its the hardest to get. Clear, sharp, glossy reflections are usually only obtainable if you do proper surface prepping. Else, you'd see some orange peel effect or not as sharp reflections.

Anyway, a lot of it has to do with lifestyles. I wish I had more time to devote to detailing as I really enjoy it, but lack nice long blocks of time to spend on it. So, there has been a lot of short cuts from me lately heh.

MG Nxt Tech 2.0 is supposed to be out soon, which addresses the weakness of Nxt (doesn't last). Personally, I found MG Gold Class Wax more lasting, but it was just so difficult to buff off and left powder residue everywhere. So thats out for me.

AG EGP has been a great product for durability I would say leaps and bounds better than Nxt, and as easy to apply. Onlything is that proper pre-steps is supposed to be done before EGP as its not a one step product like Nxt. Sometimes I examine the surface first and skip the prior steps but it compromises on the quality of shine on the car.

Zaino is ultimate.. but too exclusive. Can't mix with normal car shampoos (i.e. you can't send your car outside to get washed anymore heh) with Zaino. Also many steps (but easy) and expensive esp when used with ZFX to accelerate the curing between layers. And it really looks best with a few layers (~4-5 I believe), anything more, will diminish the quality of the shine.

now you see why i say zaino kicks a55 hand down!! picture does not do justice to his car. when i saw it in real flesh, i nearly fainted. How I wish i had the moolahs to do the same.

oh btw, the color is black.... some sort of black. Don't know what is the actual color code.

1996E36328i;230438 said:
now you see why i say zaino kicks a55 hand down!! picture does not do justice to his car. when i saw it in real flesh, i nearly fainted. How I wish i had the moolahs to do the same.

oh btw, the color is black.... some sort of black. Don't know what is the actual color code.

Most folks I know, who were on Zaino, could not maintain the discpline of sticking exclusively to Zaino and will take short cuts over time to save effort, $$$ and time. See how long your friend can stick to the exclusive Zaino way.. hehe

E46Fanatic;230435 said:
Zaino is ultimate.. but too exclusive. Can't mix with normal car shampoos (i.e. you can't send your car outside to get washed anymore heh) with Zaino. Also many steps (but easy) and expensive esp when used with ZFX to accelerate the curing between layers. And it really looks best with a few layers (~4-5 I believe), anything more, will diminish the quality of the shine.

You're right about not being able to mix the shampoo and all. He told me about that. The stuff is also not cheap, i'll stick to my trusty old turtle wax. On the other hand about the layering, I believe his went thru more than 10 layers if i can remember me telling as every weekend he spends nearly the whole day detailing his car!!! and i thought you guys here were crazy in the first place. I think my friend needs medical help :rolleyes:

Top Bottom