my journey to an E36 (opinion welcomed)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sam1741

Club Guest
my journey to an E36hi all,i like to share my story and my journey to an E36and in the same time... asking some questions and hope you all can help me outand give me some opinions n suggestions.well I started to search for E36 for many months already.I like the E36 since i am a kid...and when i get to learn more about it the inside, the more i love her.i wanted a 4pot E36 318, Manual trans.only problem is i live at north, and time is a limit for mei not have the time luxury of travel far distance.There are many nice E36 at the south, but for now i not yet have the time slot to goa couple of weeks ago, i found one nice E36 at my place, penangis auto trans, some chat with the owner, i found that she really do take care of that carand crom what she have said, i know that the car is properly maintainbut .. because of some issue, i a bit slow on viewing the car and it was grab by another lucky chap earlier than me.So i continue searching.Than i come across this E36 manual trans also near me.The car from the photo looks ok.So on a nice sunday i go to the dealer's place to have a look.well its a nice car basically (all e36 are nice)but some part are not to my taste.Plus the dealer wanted to let it go at 36k best price (include 3 oil change for free)something about the car that make me consider ...- there is no OBD Multi-information display.....- all there was is one analog clock.. like in E30- there are no digital climate control... and not even got 4 knob like the standard one.. it have .. 3 knob .. that let me feels like proton (old) saga- the interior is strange color (light grey) and so does the leather seat...- The dealer claim it was manufacture 95 and registered 95, but open the hood, i saw one M40 engine, as opposed to M43 for that time ( I judge based on the intake manifold, and the engine oil cap location.. please correct me if i'm wrong)- some small details that shown the previous owner not really taking care of the car... like... the glove compartment that wont close properly.. carpet that not so nice.. boot that wont open properly... central lock that not working properly... the tint that starts to bubble inside.... the aircond leaf that is broken.... - the RIM, not like other seller got standard E36 rim, or better one 17' AC rim, this one have a mash type 15'rim... that looks like its come from E30..- no any kind of service recordthe salesman claim that, it was bought in from UK using student AP, and the car is UK spec, very rarebut the price minimum is this price, 36k (at 31k, i can get one with service record, with AC rim on it, and well maintained)i just fell not so comfortable with this.. i like the car.. but so many things need to be touch upso my questions is .. is this worth it? after so long searchingi finally found one, but i feeling not so right.Than i come across another one from motortrader magazine...location is at KL, which i not yet free to goGold color E36, manual, only selling for 26kthat is damn cheapeven if i spend 10k to repair anythingonly match the price oof the car above.but, i m not able to go currently, and the car is grab by another lucky chap after one week.Than i search morei found out that around 28k, 29ki can find out year 92, 93 E36 in good condition....than if i spend estimate 5k to repair itthe price just maybe 34k like thatso the question is... should i buy and convert to manual transmissionor should i find a proper manual one...than i also found out, for those with M43 engine....the price is slightly higher than M40ofcourse M43 will be younger than M40 for few years.both also 8v engine, produce the same amount of HPM43 no need to change timing belt, and have a tiny bit more torque than M40so... the question isis it worth to get M43, or should i save the money So my journey continues...hope some experienced owner here can give me some advicve also.thanks in advancvewill post up more stories when i found more cars.

Since u have decided to have a manual transmission, stick to your search for it.Digital air condition only comes in year 96 onwards and there is only auto transmission.Your search should be year 92 to 95(M43).

ya...
that is the thing that leads to me thinking...

if finding a older auto E36 318 and convert to manual
will cost less than buying a manual one
should i save that money?

machinehead;362089 said:
Since u have decided to have a manual transmission, stick to your search for it.Digital air condition only comes in year 96 onwards and there is only auto transmission.Your search should be year 92 to 95(M43).

my ex36 was a 95 but it came with digital aircond...

imho, the 95/96 year were the mismatch years...alot of mixup....

some cars have this, some cars dun...

sam1741;362093 said:
ya...
that is the thing that leads to me thinking...

if finding a older auto E36 318 and convert to manual
will cost less than buying a manual one
should i save that money?

if i were u bro, get a m43b18, less trouble, not noisy/less load - post 97 should have electric fan, no need change timing belt...BASICALLY its one of the best engines bmw ever made (altho alot of praise went to the m50) due to itsreliability and fuel economy and also very economical to maintain, yes there are some flaws ie, the oil filter always leak due the seal and the way its position. but other than that...SUPERB fuel consumption even if its an auto...my friend who works near lcct travels daily from damansara can achieve about 700++km almost 800km with one full tank. now he has converted to manual, the figure should improve unless he is whacking it daily ;)

if u buy a m43 u would hardly have any issues...but being an older car, do ensure u dun get a lemon or buy it from someone who has abused the car thoroughly, ( a lil abuse is good once in a while)

dun even think of the m40, too much of issues...

just my humble few cents....

cheers happy hunting...

You're better off getting one from a direct owner. Used car salesman will say anything to seal the deal and honestly from the description of the car, doesn't sound like anything special.

Manual conversion isn't costly at all as long as you take the time to look around for the gearbox.

Is there a reason why you'd rather go for the 318 than a 325?

Nice journey bro, I thoroughly enjoyed the story mate. E36 can be considered an old car these days, coz its really old. Not that old really but we're talking about >10 yrs here. That ageing makes it more sexay and wanted for some genuine buyer like you, and me too. I got mine after long years of searching with such a bargain price, tho its fitted with M40 motor and auto tranny. You wont regret it mate, coz its really worth it. Already looking for M42 + manual, only met with strong protest from u-know-who lah (misus, siapa lagi..). Wanna view my car? I live in KBatas, Pg

Cheers

hi all.... Good morning~!

tombstonecannotpost;362205 said:
my ex36 was a 95 but it came with digital aircond...

imho, the 95/96 year were the mismatch years...alot of mixup....

some cars have this, some cars dun...

ya .. a lot of mix up.. some with M40.. some with M43
but i saw.. most also with no OBC display one....
i kinda like that thing.. clever little calculator

tombstonecannotpost;362206 said:
if u buy a m43 u would hardly have any issues...but being an older car, do ensure u dun get a lemon or buy it from someone who has abused the car thoroughly, ( a lil abuse is good once in a while)

dun even think of the m40, too much of issues...

just my humble few cents....

cheers happy hunting...

ya... i also favour the M43 over M40...although they have same power..

loafer;362218 said:
You're better off getting one from a direct owner. Used car salesman will say anything to seal the deal and honestly from the description of the car, doesn't sound like anything special.

Manual conversion isn't costly at all as long as you take the time to look around for the gearbox.

Is there a reason why you'd rather go for the 318 than a 325?

thats the thing.. so far i found few are from car dealers...
i more prefer to look for the one from the owner himself...
last month found one but i am too slow.....

well, i wanted the 318 than 325 or 328 because ... i live in penang
the traffic here are moving slow all the time
so i might as well get a 4 pot with less cc than a 6 pot...

kacman;362259 said:
Nice journey bro, I thoroughly enjoyed the story mate. E36 can be considered an old car these days, coz its really old. Not that old really but we're talking about >10 yrs here. That ageing makes it more sexay and wanted for some genuine buyer like you, and me too. I got mine after long years of searching with such a bargain price, tho its fitted with M40 motor and auto tranny. You wont regret it mate, coz its really worth it. Already looking for M42 + manual, only met with strong protest from u-know-who lah (misus, siapa lagi..). Wanna view my car? I live in KBatas, Pg

Cheers

hi kacman
so your 318 currently is the M40?
haha... i keep my hunt for 318 a secret from my gf.. because wan to give her a suprise...
and my parents.. although they heard the roumours of the maintenance of bmw
but they are supportive to me after hearing my story.

yeah.... maybe we can come out for a tehtarik sometime? :)
i would love to view your ride

i know one well maintain e36 318i, 99....calling for fairul, alllooooo
this guy want to upgrade to....shhhhhh

or, y don't u consider my e36 328i' 97 laaa....so nice one...he he

hi all....

next week will going to see 2 year 92 318.. maybe the price is attractable and the condition is good... than i might consider...
will write out more story.
Than also planing to go KL view another 2 year95 318.... hopefully those are nice also

btw... a short side story... which is quite interesting
when i looking for E36..
saw one posting to claim he from perlis (near my hometown)
and have one 318 for sale..
so i mail up this guy to ask if there is any number to call
than he reply me he is now at Itali. :eek:
and he used to work in malaysia for health department for knowledge exchange :eek:
and he already ship the car back
but.. he said the papers still register the car as car in malaysia...
than i ask him to mail me the photo
the more interesting thing is...
i saw his photo.. really familiar
is .. same photo as 2 of another seller post one (interior he took from one person, exterior he took from another fella)
hahaha...
and keep on asking me if i like to buy and he provide details to pay him...

well just to remind ourself although we very desire to have the car
also have to be aware of some scam on the internet... :)

date : 11 oct 2008
car : E36 318 auto (M43) year 1996
in short : very good condition

hi all...
this weekend i go back to my kampung..
and my dad say he knows a mechanic which is very friendly,
so i go ask him more stuff about cars...
than i go there.. all the mechanic also very helpful
one of them... take me to few dealers he know to ask about the E36 i looking for.

so finally we found one. .but a user tested it
because i in a rush i go home first.

but the car dealer have sincerity,
he drive the car to my house to let me test it later (when the customer finish testing it)
so i test around. the mechanic follow also

i pretty like this car, compare to the one i saw before
this is very good condition...
what i like is
- original rim, original paint, everything original
- nice kept interior. very clean and new
- got digital climate control
- fan has been change to electric fan
- everything in nice condition, every electronic functioning, chassis feels good
- is in silver color.. one of my color choice (i prefer white, silver, or maroon)
- is M43 engine...

the only thing i not so like is,....
- it is auto trans
- feel a bit slow response .. maybe the auto clutch not good?

overall i pretty like this car...
selling price is 36k... after negotiate is 35k....
very nice condition.. another customer also considering it..
so i have to think fast..

so i like to ask opinion of you all....
should i take this...
or continue searching?

there is another 2 manual 318 in KL, which i not look in person before
if i arrange a time to go .. it will be at deepavali holiday already.

bro... u like so much manual stick... so stick with it bro... nothing will satisfy you unless you get what u want. if u get that auto, i'm sure u'll have that nightmare. you know... the-guilt-of-not-having-my-choice-of-car nightmares! take my advice. stick with it.

Bro

I olso almost kina with that Italian expat-health department fella. Selling e46 m sport 1/2 price!

Back to the topic. I say you stick with your manual. Coz auto really sucks (M40/43 the same). At traffic light, the SLK (small-little-kancil) just glance at you with his pretty amoi sitting beside him and the next thing, you'll be banging your head at the steering.

Why don't you consider the one fitted with M42 (318is). 14+ bhp, 0-100kmh abt 9 sec ok lah..

kacman;367321 said:
Bro

I olso almost kina with that Italian expat-health department fella. Selling e46 m sport 1/2 price!

Back to the topic. I say you stick with your manual. Coz auto really sucks (M40/43 the same). At traffic light, the SLK (small-little-kancil) just glance at you with his pretty amoi sitting beside him and the next thing, you'll be banging your head at the steering.

Why don't you consider the one fitted with M42 (318is). 14+ bhp, 0-100kmh abt 9 sec ok lah..

hey kacman ,
still banging your head on the steering ? ( me too ...he he he ) :listen:
petrol is going down & down . time to revisit the transplant ! :wink:

megatniza;367392 said:
hey kacman ,
still banging your head on the steering ? ( me too ...he he he ) :listen:
petrol is going down & down . time to revisit the transplant ! :wink:

Yeah Baby, Yeah!! Now on the final stage to pujuk bini. Upgrade 2.5 is illegal (>30%), but getting very itchy already :listen:

When ru coming up here, lets go for TT

kacman;367394 said:
Yeah Baby, Yeah!! Now on the final stage to pujuk bini. Upgrade 2.5 is illegal (>30%), but getting very itchy already :listen:

When ru coming up here, lets go for TT

i am being offered a 318is ...still doing the maths ..
the ipoh team have penang slotted as one the
destination for our next drive .
will keep you posted ! :top:

hi megatniza...
thats cool.... when comming down to penang we can all come out for TT...

kacman;367321 said:
Bro

hahaha.. the italian guy never reply me anymore
the last mail i ask him why the photo he send me is same as the other car i saw. :)

btw... u r right
i test drive few 318 M43 auto...
is really no power.....

but i think very hard to find M42 engine here... right?
never saw anyone selling 318is...
but s.g. have a lot..

good luck and continue hunting, trust your instint.
Since you already spent so much time searching, why not continue the effort?
If you dun feel comfortable, then go forward look for next one.

sam1741;367560 said:
hi megatniza...
thats cool.... when comming down to penang we can all come out for TT...

never saw anyone selling 318is...but s.g. have a lot..

sam,kacman
will alert you guys once it's firmed up .

BTW , the Customs are using 318is ...saw one being serviced in my
regular w/shop recently . You can try to ask around if there are any
up for tender .

23052008123.jpg

It also took me 6 months and viewed 20+ cars to find my ex Silver E36 M43 with electric fan, digital aircon..superb condition .. spend alot to dress it up. Sold it with a heavy heart.

Nevertheless, go for manual if your heart is there, you will regret if you got yourself the auto... Penang is fun with manual especially on hilly roads.

M43 is really economy on highway.. RM120 @RM1.92 can bring you about 500km

Spareparts are much cheaper then M50 especially if you need to overhaul the engine

Top Bottom