My E38 728i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fender63lp68

Club Guest
Hi everyone. Kind a new guy on this forum I hv a e60 and e93 and today just took possession of my e38 728i. Like many I have admired this car for quite sometime. Like many too I will start this journey owning and be proud of this E38.Thanks bro Yazmeen for helping me checkout the e38 before putting the downpayment during puasa. Will need help from many sifus here.

Don't join Yazmeen too much...the next thing u know u will eating Maggie & air Kosong bcos of his racun..:)

kaniz,
Yeah I know. It is not Yazmeen alone...I better watch out for all you other guys out there. All of you are expert in Racuning..Anyhow my first task is to put the car tiptop mechanically.

The car I got is a one owner and I managed to get a copy off all the repair invoice for the last three years so it is a good start. Will get my regular mechanic to do a thorough check. Trying to get it to be reliable and as smooth as a baby skin..

As said according to previous owner past three year records shows quite a handful of repairs. After visiting my mechanic these are items that requires attention.

Mechanical.
1. Lower arm (rear ) RHS LHS
2. Exhasut mounting
3. Drive shaft LHS
4. Wishbone (small) RHS
5. Wishbone (big) LHS
6. Rearbrake hose
7. Engine Oils sump gasket
8. Oil Filter Gasket
9. A/C belt
10. Power steering hose
11. Engine mounting
12. Gearbox mounting
13. Fuel hose
I was thinking should I get the parts myself or let my mechanic tapau everything.

My mechanic degrease hosedown the oil stains on the engine. Will have to drive the car for a while and see.

Non mechanical of which I will have to attend to later.
1) all tyres. here is the tricky part. Should I change rims or stick with original.
2. Front bumper. For now this looks still ok. Perhaps later.

Bro, great acqusition there...congrats, but i d prefer if u post a pic of yr ride so that we can advise u accordingly...huhu

For those reading this I would like some feedbacks. Whe you acquire a E38 what is your intention . Is it more trying to get the elusive 7 series ride or more towards to pimp the ride to your personalize taste.

This car that I just acquired is much in its original state. I wanted more of the ride and I intent to stick to its originality and I am a sucker for originality.

Meaning it currently has its original paint I am trying to salvage if possible instead of new paint. The 16 rims although hideous and ugly to some I find it handsome as it is. The 12 year old interior leather trying to salvage by dyeing it instead of replacing with new. Lights instead of new I am trying to refurbish them instead of buying new or to newer style lights...etc

What do you think guys..? Do I sound crazy..?

fender63lp68;772321 said:
For those reading this I would like some feedbacks. Whe you acquire a E38 what is your intention . Is it more trying to get the elusive 7 series ride or more towards to pimp the ride to your personalize taste.

This car that I just acquired is much in its original state. I wanted more of the ride and I intent to stick to its originality and I am a sucker for originality.

Meaning it currently has its original paint I am trying to salvage if possible instead of new paint. The 16 rims although hideous and ugly to some I find it handsome as it is. The 12 year old interior leather trying to salvage by dyeing it instead of replacing with new. Lights instead of new I am trying to refurbish them instead of buying new or to newer style lights...etc

What do you think guys..? Do I sound crazy..?

It really depends what standards u set & what theme/ route u choose & how deep is ur pocket. Every owner has different view & taste, so there is no right or wrong to it.
My advice, priority should be wear & tear part plus ensuring the car is reliable to be driven anywhere, anytime.
Once above has been achieved, then go for cosmetics & performance. Bear in mind, the interior & exterior is 15 yrs old, so it will look tired to certain extent. And then, the million dollar question, what u want, want save the 15 year old leather & paint job or give ur e38 a makeover?
I took the makeover route & I never regretted as I was guided by lots of good friends here.
P/s: if budget permits, nothing beats the feel & look of new paint job & leather interior provided u have the right person to do it. Spend one time & spend it correctly.

kaniz;772345 said:
Every owner has different view & taste, so there is no right or wrong to it.
Spend one time & spend it correctly.

P***y P**??? Lol...:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Btw fender, nice new ride !!! Pimp it bro :rock:

Welcome to the 38 bug! You've been blessed with the biggest racun Kaki's in the 38 frat! All the best. If I could do it all over again....I wouldn't change a single thing I've done to my 38!

ssmann;772864 said:
Welcome to the 38 bug! You've been blessed with the biggest racun Kaki's in the 38 frat! All the best. If I could do it all over again....I wouldn't change a single thing I've done to my 38!

ssmann, kaniz, wolverine,

It appears I may be the odd one here with a weird intention to my e38. Many I guess would prefer to personalize their ride.
Will see how it goes.

My first task as said is to make the ride as smooth as how it originally came out from the factory....I am not sure how successful this will be..

kaniz;772345 said:
It really depends what standards u set & what theme/ route u choose & how deep is ur pocket. Every owner has different view & taste, so there is no right or wrong to it.
My advice, priority should be wear & tear part plus ensuring the car is reliable to be driven anywhere, anytime.
Once above has been achieved, then go for cosmetics & performance. Bear in mind, the interior & exterior is 15 yrs old, so it will look tired to certain extent. And then, the million dollar question, what u want, want save the 15 year old leather & paint job or give ur e38 a makeover?
I took the makeover route & I never regretted as I was guided by lots of good friends here.

Kaniz,

You have pointed many good points here. The first to make it reliable and to enjoy the drive is certainly the priority.
Secondly as highlighted I guess whats make you happy,feel good and proud owning this beautiful e38.
I guess I have to really ask myself what will make me happy finally...

Fender

The ori 16s will give a magic carpet ride. Having said that, I have experienced Uncle Vincent's 18's with titan set up and it rides really well, much better than I ever thought 18s could! They probably go round corners better than the stock suspension too.

I think 18 wheels and tyres are a good balance between aesthetics and comfort.

E28driver;773136 said:
Fender

The ori 16s will give a magic carpet ride. Having said that, I have experienced Uncle Vincent's 18's with titan set up and it rides really well, much better than I ever thought 18s could! They probably go round corners better than the stock suspension too.

I think 18 wheels and tyres are a good balance between aesthetics and comfort.

E28driver,

I hear you well. Making go around corners better sounds appealing. I will consider it after doing the priority. Will have to study what Uncle Vincent got .
Uncle Vincent, where can I see your ride or images..?:rock:

Dont change the upper arms as i have a set, used it for a week only...

Top Bottom