My E36 Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
My First Service

I learnt the hard way that mileage doesnt matter.

Here is the breakdown of my first bill:-

(1)INSPECTION 2 - servicing RM711

Magnatec RM156
Oil Filter RM30
Fuel Filter RM68
Axle Oil RM22
Axle Oil Treatment RM17
Automatic Oil RM108
Automatic Filter RM58
Auto Gasket(B) RM45
Auto Gasket(S) RM40
Powersteering Oil RM36
Brake Fluid RM36
Coolant Fluid RM35
Spark Plug RM60

(2) VANOS REPAIR KIT RM220

(3) ABSORBERS RM1636

Bilstein Black (F) RM710( RM355pp)
Bilstein Black (R) RM420(RM220pp)
Mounting(F) RM210
Mounting(R) RM110
Dampers(F) RM76
Dampers(R) RM110

(4)THERMOSTAT RM121

Housing RM110
O-Ring RM5
Gasket RM6

(5)FAN CLUTCH RM520

(6) WEAR & TEAR ITEMS RM1699

Valve Cover Gasket RM95
Valve Cover Seal RM105
Radiator Side Cover RM260
Belt Tensioner RM175
Belt Absorber RM158
Oil Filter Housing Gasket RM80
Washer Pump RM58
Bonnet Absorber RM55
Wiper Panel(L&R) RM170
Rear Windscreen Lining RM145
Door Handle Rubber RM80
Brake Switch RM68
Vent Hose RM25
Pipe Conector RM38
Air Con Belt RM38
Fan Cover Clip RM3
Valve Cover Cap RM 20
Bonnet Insulator Clip RM3
Aliminium Washer RM6
Brake Bulb RM5
Bulb RM5
Windscreen Shampoo RM7

(7) MODIC RM45

(8) LABOUR RM810

GRAND TOTAL RM5762

Man, that kind of money can get you into a whole lot of serious trouble with your wife, man. I hope you are not married...

Sudah Kahwin-lah.....this year is my 10th anniversary. Hopefully wifey just takes it as my anniversary gift. Of course then I've got to get her an equivalent gift.

Coming back to the E36, having learnt the hard way , I would say Full Service History(FSH) is crucial when buying a second hand BMW.

When buying the car I was blinded by the fact that it had only done less than 80000km but I didnt scrutinise the service history.

I dont regret buying the car as despite the neglect it still seems to be unabused car which by itself is very rare but i do wish i had bargained down the price in view of the repairs and work I have had to do on the car.

Just curious but what is the market value for a 1995 325i?
(Anyone know how much Santhira sold his car for?)

anxious;209932 said:
I honestly hope my E36 experience will be kinder to my wallet.

Err...

RM5k as the first bill for a 12-year car is very very good. I noticed the display of incredible restraint there.

Also noticed you have not changed your tires yet. Am sure you will choose wisely. Not worth saving a few bucks on this important performance and safety point.

"Went crazy chasing the sounds..." Ha Ha Ha. We can all identify with that!

One particular sound drove me nuts, until I sat in an almost new S-class, and realised it had the same sound coming from the same spot! So I concluded, noise is relative.

If you have spent 20k on the e30, I shudder to think how much I have spent on the e36 so far. Till today, I have yet to muster the courage to total up my bill file at the workshop (yes, I have a file there, a fat one). The way the workshop owner drop his tools and run to me with open arms and give me a bear hug each time I arrive cannot be a good sign... I hear his children are now graduated overseas, and at least one of them is planning to do a phd...

So..., yes, there is one way the e36 will be kinder to your walllet... if you sell it now. Just kidding, of course. Barely just.

Like most pleasures in life, it's a joy to savour that comes with a price. And I would not have it any other way.

my second hand e36 have not seen such a big figure total yet till today ... best of luck

BMW = Banyak Makan Wang........ true to the letter.

Enjoy the UDM ride.......and bite the bullet!!!

If you want cheap... lotsa japanese models around.

end of the day, its the driving pleasure that counts. i'm sure some people may beg to differ.

Yes Lee, tyres are on my list. I have yet to decide on whether to change to 16/17 inch rim or maintain 15 inch.

I also want to see how the paint turns out but I sure like the pic of the black E36 u posted.....17in?

anxious go for 19" staggered..awsome wheels...costly tough but then it's simply awsome

such a nice car..
i've read thru the thread, and i am really interested in this e36 318i...

i hope that i can owned this car by end of this year...
i'm going to start working next week (fresh grad lol)

the reason is that this car might cost around rm40k, just da same as myvi...

rather than taking a myvi, i would prefer e36 318iwith an extra 5k-10k for the 1st service...

I hope that u guys the sifu2 and owner of bmw will guide me...

"klau salah tulun tunjukkan...:)

Good luck on ur search for ur E36 318. My car is a E36 325.

My former ride was a E30 318. Being a fresh grad u must understand that owning a 10 yr old bimmer is going to be a strain on ur resources as u must hv noticed from the various postings here.

There reason I chose to get older bimmers is firstly I dont travel outstation much and mainly drive in Pg.

Secondly I could afford to buy the car cash and there do not hv installments to worry about so I hv ready finance to repair the car as and when required.

If finance is a problem, my advise is dont get the Bimmer. At least not yet. Use ur MYVI first. Save some $$$ and then when u can afford a 318 cash, get it.

That way u will be able to enjoy t car w/o worrying abt the repair bill as u should hv spare cash to sort out the repairs.

In the event u still want to get a 318, then pls make sure that u get a car with full service history(all service bills available) and preferbably direct from the owner.

Good Luck.

anxious;210385 said:
Good luck on ur search for ur E36 318. My car is a E36 325.

My former ride was a E30 318. Being a fresh grad u must understand that owning a 10 yr old bimmer is going to be a strain on ur resources as u must hv noticed from the various postings here.

There reason I chose to get older bimmers is firstly I dont travel outstation much and mainly drive in Pg.

Secondly I could afford to buy the car cash and there do not hv installments to worry about so I hv ready finance to repair the car as and when required.

If finance is a problem, my advise is dont get the Bimmer. At least not yet. Use ur MYVI first. Save some $$$ and then when u can afford a 318 cash, get it.

That way u will be able to enjoy t car w/o worrying abt the repair bill as u should hv spare cash to sort out the repairs.

In the event u still want to get a 318, then pls make sure that u get a car with full service history(all service bills available) and preferbably direct from the owner.

Good Luck.

Wise words. :)

ICEMAN 13;210175 said:
anxious go for 19" staggered..awsome wheels...costly tough but then it's simply awsome

If you wanna go this route, watch out for the blady potholes... which our roads are full of them.

flash;210420 said:
If you wanna go this route, watch out for the blady potholes... which our roads are full of them.

E36 biggest rim should be 18", if you go 19" it's will spoil ur handling. Trust me.:)

Mont-o;210425 said:
E36 biggest rim should be 18", if you go 19" it's will spoil ur handling. Trust me.:)

The sifu have spoken ...but then dammit i love those 19"'s

ICEMAN 13;210430 said:
The sifu have spoken ...but then dammit i love those 19"'s

bai, i am not sifu lar...i gain this knowledge from our lagendary Mr Apoo aka Three28. E36 328i with Hamann HM2 19", handling su#k until he hit the road barrier eke eke eke:D .

Ya i love to see BMW with sexy 19"..drooling.

matasura;210291 said:
such a nice car..
i've read thru the thread, and i am really interested in this e36 318i...

i hope that i can owned this car by end of this year...
i'm going to start working next week (fresh grad lol)

the reason is that this car might cost around rm40k, just da same as myvi...

rather than taking a myvi, i would prefer e36 318iwith an extra 5k-10k for the 1st service...

I hope that u guys the sifu2 and owner of bmw will guide me...

"klau salah tulun tunjukkan...:)

i think you're better off with a used bmw than a new myvi! thought e36 maybe old but it's way ahead in quality than myvi.

you will keep e36 and enjoy more in driving than a new myvi. i have a 17-year old e30m316i, but a very good one. drives and handles better than myvi for sure.

Mont-o;210434 said:
bai, i am not sifu lar...i gain this knowledge from our lagendary Mr Apoo aka Three28. E36 328i with Hamann HM2 19", handling su#k until he hit the road barrier eke eke eke:D .

Ya i love to see BMW with sexy 19"..drooling.

ayooo legendary apoo don't know how to drive larrr ... and moreover he was on the legendary poping tyre called FIRENZA ... :) :)

insteald of dilluting Anxious thread. Why not matasure start a new thread or do a search. We have extensive info on the ownership of E36 in this forum. So, check it there.

But listen to old folks here, your idea is good but not practical. Start small young man then grow from there. Don't wear a hat which don't fit. :)

Top Bottom