My E36 Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I share my E36 some time back, recently did some more mods, time to share again :)
Got the idea from a Porsche GT3RS, came out with my own. Love the ride now, another new look!

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

SC_IS_SG;516034 said:
I share my E36 some time back, recently did some more mods, time to share again :)
Got the idea from a Porsche GT3RS, came out with my own. Love the ride now, another new look!

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

nice ....e36 tuned by Renn Sports !!:rock:

After what you spent on the E36 to make it a good perfect runner,You better keep it forever. You gave the car a second lease of life & will last you 20 more years. Keep it up.

Z

z///;520880 said:
After what you spent on the E36 to make it a good perfect runner,You better keep it forever. You gave the car a second lease of life & will last you 20 more years. Keep it up.

Z

Thanks. It was truly a learning experience and I am happy to be able to share it with you guys. Yes the car could last anor 10 years easily but I would be parting ways next year for my next project.

2010 has been ok on the maintenance front. Just routine stuff for a 15 year old car.

Jan 2010, picked up 4 bottles of Mobil 1 at Carrefour @ RM148 per bottle totaling RM592.

Also changed water pump, belting , tensioner/pulley at total cost of RM938.

May 2010, changed:-

TRW Brake Disk(F) @ RM130pp RM260
ATE Brake pad (F) RM110
Brake Sensor RM30
ATE Brake Fluid 2 bottles RM44
Labour RM60

Total RM504

( I changed ther front brake disk and pads when I got the car 3 years ago. The disk lasted me 50k km. I changed the pads again last Jan. So the rule is 2 pads to 1 disk for BMWs. I choose not to get BMW OE as it would cost me double and since I am not sure how long I am goin to have the car, I think ATE and TRW should work out well. When changing the disk and pad I also decided to get the brake fluid flushed and replaced.)

Next I need to sort out the power steering which is leaking. I need to get the repair kit.

My half yearly servicing will also be due in end June.

BTW, its my 1000th posting today and I am really glad to be able to share my experiences with you guys over the last 5 1/2 years. Cheers!

7.7.2010- Heritage Day holiday in Pg

Dropped by Chu Seng's shop to have a quick oil & coolant change.Mileage 132747.

My car will be due for Inspection 2 end of this year ie when car hits 140k km. May need to sort out leaking power steering soon with repair kit.

Read recently that Carrefour is exiting Malaysian market. Need to stock up on Mobil 1 5w-50. Pls let me know if u guys hear of any offer on Mobil 1 at Carrefour.

Just change my batttery,cost me RM580.00,this is my first time change the battery since I bought the car 5 years ago.

blackbean;351474 said:
megatniza;351357 said:
aiyo bro.... damn nice lar... EXACTLY what i'm looking for... bro bro... how much is the painting ??? What colour did you ask for... any exact paint code. Bro you are good man... my ideal modification since i got my car. I like it simple & sporty. Sport rim look awesome. At the moment mine is the M3 17" rim... the older want lar... i got it 2nd hand. But look OK also. One day i will try to post some pictures and ask you guys to comment.

Bro. If paint the black lining with white.. will it look better or not. I was thinking of tinting the glass black. dunno police will stop or not.

Overall, superb cosmetic. in fact looks better than e46 after upgrade.

Lookinh at this,I am start to think if I should change the color of mt ride,mine is matelic black,felt so hot during the day !!

anxious;526988 said:
2010 has been ok on the maintenance front. Just routine stuff for a 15 year old car.

Jan 2010, picked up 4 bottles of Mobil 1 at Carrefour @ RM148 per bottle totaling RM592.

Also changed water pump, belting , tensioner/pulley at total cost of RM938.

May 2010, changed:-

TRW Brake Disk(F) @ RM130pp RM260
ATE Brake pad (F) RM110
Brake Sensor RM30
ATE Brake Fluid 2 bottles RM44
Labour RM60

Total RM504

( I changed ther front brake disk and pads when I got the car 3 years ago. The disk lasted me 50k km. I changed the pads again last Jan. So the rule is 2 pads to 1 disk for BMWs. I choose not to get BMW OE as it would cost me double and since I am not sure how long I am goin to have the car, I think ATE and TRW should work out well. When changing the disk and pad I also decided to get the brake fluid flushed and replaced.)

Next I need to sort out the power steering which is leaking. I need to get the repair kit.

My half yearly servicing will also be due in end June.

BTW, its my 1000th posting today and I am really glad to be able to share my experiences with you guys over the last 5 1/2 years. Cheers!

Congratultions on your 1000th post,its people like you to make this website interesting .Keep it up !

Congrats! I appreciate that information. Its good info for a beginner's like me.
Thank you.

Got the power steering leak sorted out recently.

Repair Kit (top) RM68
Repair Kit(bottom) RM280
O-ring RM8
P/Steering Oil RM38
Labour RM280
Service Tax RM14

Total RM688

Now no more drops of oil on my driveway.

Mileage now 135k km.

anxious;557333 said:
Got the power steering leak sorted out recently.

Repair Kit (top) RM68
Repair Kit(bottom) RM280
O-ring RM8
P/Steering Oil RM38
Labour RM280
Service Tax RM14

Total RM688

Now no more drops of oil on my driveway.

Mileage now 135k km.

Used to have that PS leak- Started from small- Then- we didn't read instruction ATF(transmission oil) only- We just fill it up with Power steering fluid bought from supermarket-
Leaks gets bigger

We ended spending 600plus BND for a new set.

The E36 is a strong car, in fact all bmw's indeed.

Today I was rear-ended by a kancil, on the right side of the rear bumper. Managed to settled it on the spot with money, since there were no damages on my car, just some paint scratched from the bumper, not that visible. The kancil's right headlight, indicator lamp, bumper and some right body parts were broken and in a mess. I believe he hit me at a speed at around 20 to 30km.

-----------------
Experience
-----------------

A few days ago I was driving during the afternoon, it was quite hot that day, I was not using the aircon, however being stuck in jams through the city and driving for long, the car temperature went up to 80%. I stopped, check the fan was running, no leakages also. Turned off the car. The made the engine cool down and topped up the radiator with 1-2 bottles.

The next day, I did drive for a while, saw that the radiator water was the same level, but no leakages. Then I topped up the radiator with coolant (red colored one). There was no coolant since the day the engine heated up (or it was quite less, since radiator water was not colored). Then, I also topped up some engine oil also. After that it never happened again, it has been 2 or 3 days. The car is running smoothly and the temperature is fine, remains at 50%. I have noticed using a radiator coolant (good brand), keeps the radiator and the radiator-engine hoses somewhat cooler than normal.

However there is an engine tappet sound during engine idling (neutral gear) which can be heard in the 1st gear also sometimes. It is a manual. I recently had a change in the engine oil a week ago, still the sound is coming. Is it harmful for the engine? What is the solution to fix the noise?

Another question, what thickness of oil is usually good? I normally use Shell or Castrol Magnatec?
http://www.shell.com.my/home/conten...ils_lubricants/shell_helix/product_range_new/
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=82914624&contentId=6008246

How much thickness of oil for a tropical country such as Malaysia is recommended? 10W-40? 20W-40? 10W-60? 15W-40?

anxious;209948 said:
I learnt the hard way that mileage doesnt matter.

Here is the breakdown of my first bill:-

(1)INSPECTION 2 - servicing RM711

Magnatec RM156
Oil Filter RM30
Fuel Filter RM68
Axle Oil RM22
Axle Oil Treatment RM17
Automatic Oil RM108
Automatic Filter RM58
Auto Gasket(B) RM45
Auto Gasket(S) RM40
Powersteering Oil RM36
Brake Fluid RM36
Coolant Fluid RM35
Spark Plug RM60

(2) VANOS REPAIR KIT RM220

(3) ABSORBERS RM1636

Bilstein Black (F) RM710( RM355pp)
Bilstein Black (R) RM420(RM220pp)
Mounting(F) RM210
Mounting(R) RM110
Dampers(F) RM76
Dampers(R) RM110

(4)THERMOSTAT RM121

Housing RM110
O-Ring RM5
Gasket RM6

(5)FAN CLUTCH RM520

(6) WEAR & TEAR ITEMS RM1699

Valve Cover Gasket RM95
Valve Cover Seal RM105
Radiator Side Cover RM260
Belt Tensioner RM175
Belt Absorber RM158
Oil Filter Housing Gasket RM80
Washer Pump RM58
Bonnet Absorber RM55
Wiper Panel(L&R) RM170
Rear Windscreen Lining RM145
Door Handle Rubber RM80
Brake Switch RM68
Vent Hose RM25
Pipe Conector RM38
Air Con Belt RM38
Fan Cover Clip RM3
Valve Cover Cap RM 20
Bonnet Insulator Clip RM3
Aliminium Washer RM6
Brake Bulb RM5
Bulb RM5
Windscreen Shampoo RM7

(7) MODIC RM45

(8) LABOUR RM810

GRAND TOTAL RM5762

WOW, is this normal if you first buy 2nd hand car? I am just considering buying 318 (1993) or 328 (1997) at a price of approximately RM25k...both have low milage of arbout 180,000km....but quite shock if u spend this much soon after you buy it...then immediately buying cost will be more than RM30k...hihi...any other similar bill history?

anxious;209931 said:
The cost of my E30 over the past 4 years
Hi guys,

I was just sorting through my E30 maintenance file and made copies of my service record for the new owner of my E30.

The breakdown of what I spent on the car b/w 2003-2007 can roughly be summarized as follows:-

1) MAINTENANCE

(mostly done at Chu Seng Auto Pg incl labour)
Significant items listed out

2003 RM6000
( I spent a large portion of this sum on changing most of the wear and tear items eg bushing, mounting, drive shaft etc) I guess I went out of control chansing all sorts of sounds. I changed the subframe bushing, trailing arm bush,center bearing,used drive shaft,anti roll bar bush, axle carrier bush, power steering repair kit,moto meter, speedo sensor,front lower lip, fan guide, pads, ball joint etc

2004 RM3000
-Battery RM270( battery died after being left overnite at Pg airport)
- Hoses RM400(after a overheating b/down experience)
-Glove Box Lock RM160
-Airflow sensor RM600(recon)
-Inspection 2 RM700
-decarbonizes& clean injectors(M Power, Ayer Itam) RM300

2005 RM4700
- overhaul auto gearbox RM2300
Timing belt,distributor cap, abs mounting, belts,service RM1200
Change steering rack & service RM1000

2006 RM2800
-accident(change bumper & parts) RM1000
-battery RM320
--tie rod , axle oil, service RM700
-brake disk RM270
-steering spindle RM200

2007 RM200

TOTAL RM16700

2) TYRES RM2300
Changed tyres twice and icld balancing and alignment

3) AIR CON RM400

4)MISC RM600

GRAND TOTAL RM20000

Mind bogling , I didnt even splurge on mods. In fact the only mod I got was a drop in K&N filter.

Another question for you, you spent RM20k for 4 years...averaging RM5k per year for maintenance...is this normal? sorry i am a newbie..still much to learn...

Sorry, need an answer from all sifus here, is there any guidelines what need to be "checked" / "changed" / maintained let say every 3000km, 6000km, 12000km, or 3 months, 6 months, 1 year for example? If there is a guideline, anybody can provide me some? From posting from ANXIOUS it looks like there are so many things need to check, not like my current proton car, hehe...very simple, and just simply check OIL, OIL FILTER, AIR FILTER, FUEL FILTER, GEAR OIL, power steering oil, and spark plug ONLY (basically)....

I dont want to believe 100% to workshop, afraid end up got cheated :)

THank you guys :)

I think that engine tappet sound during idling is from the vanos unit.
Check the viscosity of the engine oil used. My personal experience.. when i used fully synthetic... after hard rev, there's vanos tapping sound. But after i changed to semi- syn, then it's ok.

awyeah;558564 said:
The E36 is a strong car, in fact all bmw's indeed.

Today I was rear-ended by a kancil, on the right side of the rear bumper. Managed to settled it on the spot with money, since there were no damages on my car, just some paint scratched from the bumper, not that visible. The kancil's right headlight, indicator lamp, bumper and some right body parts were broken and in a mess. I believe he hit me at a speed at around 20 to 30km.

-----------------
Experience
-----------------

A few days ago I was driving during the afternoon, it was quite hot that day, I was not using the aircon, however being stuck in jams through the city and driving for long, the car temperature went up to 80%. I stopped, check the fan was running, no leakages also. Turned off the car. The made the engine cool down and topped up the radiator with 1-2 bottles.

The next day, I did drive for a while, saw that the radiator water was the same level, but no leakages. Then I topped up the radiator with coolant (red colored one). There was no coolant since the day the engine heated up (or it was quite less, since radiator water was not colored). Then, I also topped up some engine oil also. After that it never happened again, it has been 2 or 3 days. The car is running smoothly and the temperature is fine, remains at 50%. I have noticed using a radiator coolant (good brand), keeps the radiator and the radiator-engine hoses somewhat cooler than normal.

However there is an engine tappet sound during engine idling (neutral gear) which can be heard in the 1st gear also sometimes. It is a manual. I recently had a change in the engine oil a week ago, still the sound is coming. Is it harmful for the engine? What is the solution to fix the noise?

Another question, what thickness of oil is usually good? I normally use Shell or Castrol Magnatec?
http://www.shell.com.my/home/conten...ils_lubricants/shell_helix/product_range_new/
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=82914624&contentId=6008246

How much thickness of oil for a tropical country such as Malaysia is recommended? 10W-40? 20W-40? 10W-60? 15W-40?

Zul_84;220461 said:
anxious,

you are very TABAH person,
no comment,
but at least you drive a UDM

need learn more from you lah.
Master anxious!!!

sorry guys,
I am blur what do you guys mean by :

UDM=?
AB=?

Top Bottom