My 2003 M54 520i with 168,000 km

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bro seewai, i think im experiencing the same thing.. after the atf oil change, the gear transition isnt that smooth.. kind of a heavy transition.. but when using the 'M' mode, she changes gears flawlessly. this only happens when i use D.. what could be the culprit?

alive88;735538 said:
bro seewai, i think im experiencing the same thing.. after the atf oil change, the gear transition isnt that smooth.. kind of a heavy transition.. but when using the 'M' mode, she changes gears flawlessly. this only happens when i use D.. what could be the culprit?

Bro, I'm not sure what the culprit could be and I didn't spend much time troubleshooting it.

alive88;735538 said:

Did u use zf atf oil? I did last year and no such issue so far.

alive88;736225 said:
yes bro, i use zf oil.. changed at bomin auto.

It felt like "no power" on my 3rd and 4th gear, ie RPM dropped significantly when changing from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Mech "serviced" the gb but not much improvement. Maybe need rebuilding/recondition.

the exact thing happened to me bro.. may it be caused by my action in changing the atf oil?

alive88;736322 said:
the exact thing happened to me bro.. may it be caused by my action in changing the atf oil?

Bro alive88, hope you've already got your problem resolved by now.

School holiday is approaching, this marks the time for a long-time pending project -> body paint!
I'm still 18/19 on colour choice. Personally I like 896 Bluewater, but my wife says Bluewater is still half-silver and so she prefers Silverstone Blue.

Anyway, during the upcoming school break, I also need to get a few new problems taken care of too.

1. car jerks uncontrollably in mornings first ignitions

- this happens when driving normally with clutch fully released, at 10-30kph speed, it would just jerk until I depress clutch to try "balancing" it. Symptom goes away after car has warmed up and will recur only the next morning / cold start.
- this could happen on 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear

2. car jerks when resuming speed

- this happens when cruising normally at a given speed, release gas pedal follow by gently / normally resuming or maintaining speed by depressing the gas pedal.
- this happens intermittently, could happen at 3rd, 4th or 5th gear.

3. quite whining sound heard from outside, when car cruises by herself at low speed

- this happens when slowing down (eg via engine braking)
- very noticeable especially driving around my neighbourhood at quiet late nights, at a certain low speed, switch to 2nd or 3rd gear, release clutch, release gas pedal, let car cruises but herself, wind down window I can hear her "singing".

So far I've heard advices that all the above could be due to:

1. clutch - recently replaced
2. MAF dirty
3. O2 sensors
4. gas pedal (position sensor)
5. ??
6. ??

Well I hope to post solid answer(s) after school reopens :)

Cheers.
seewai

Hi Seewai, I don't drive a manual but I had 1) and 2) before. Try this - unplug the cable from your MAF cable when u can do a cold start and drive it. IF the symptoms go away and come back as soon as you plug back to MAF wire, then we may have zoomed it down to your MAF. This is how my mech zoomed his troubleshooting on my 1 and 2. Hope this helps.... Dont' forget to fix the MAF wire back ya.

alive88;735538 said:

Might be your torque convertor or gear oil pump

This morning, my ride has been taken to Optimum for "problem determination" prior to paint job. Hopefully the problems I described earlier could be resolved plus paint job completed before school re-opens.

As of today, only the exterior has shown some result, still lots to be done even so.

IMG00028-20120622-1405.jpg

As you might be able to differentiate and/or notice, the engine bay is still Titanium Silver, pending conversion to "A29 - Silverstone II"

IMG00027-20120622-1402.jpg

My ride beside a Ferrari. Parked any closer they'd be like bf and gf in an outdoor cinema date.

IMG00030-20120622-1415.jpg

That's all folks.

Cheers.

Before sending to this spraypaint shop, I was told by Optimum the 3.0L has some consume-engine-oil issue and has been top-overhauled at no labour charge as it's only installed not long ago.

The rattling sound heard was some chain / belting issue and has been replaced with a used unit.

I can only wait to drive it again to see, feel and tell the outcome of the recent "hospitalization".

I see... Nice colour mate. Saw a Moonstone E60 M5 During my uni days...What a nice colour.. Different shade of blue and silver at different angle..
P/S: My student hall used to be Behing Williams BMW Manchester and Stratstone Ferrari... Best time ever!

ck318ci;753131 said:
I see... Nice colour mate. Saw a Moonstone E60 M5 During my uni days...What a nice colour.. Different shade of blue and silver at different angle..
P/S: My student hall used to be Behing Williams BMW Manchester and Stratstone Ferrari... Best time ever!

One of my ex-colleagues is driving an E60 525i with Moonstone, awesome colour.

Top Bottom