m40 Manual gear box making sound!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jumpman;501495 said:
It happens mainly on gears 2 and 3. More apparent on downshifting. What do you mean by double clutching ? pump the clutch pedal twice and shift ?

Oh yea..sorry bro Aero..hijack ur thread for a bit, since it kinda relates on the same issue.

My car also experiencing exactly the same problem lately whereby there is heart wrenching grinding whenever i down shift specifically from 4 to 3 and 3 to 2. It is more severe from 3 to 2. The grinding will not happen during up shift.

Since the problem still occurred even when i double-clutch to down shift, therefore can i rule out the problems due to worn syncros? Or could the grinding be possibly due to low gear oil level?? Any clue sifus?

rayncc;505855 said:
My car also experiencing exactly the same problem lately whereby there is heart wrenching grinding whenever i down shift specifically from 4 to 3 and 3 to 2. It is more severe from 3 to 2. The grinding will not happen during up shift.

Since the problem still occurred even when i double-clutch to down shift, therefore can i rule out the problems due to worn syncros? Or could the grinding be possibly due to low gear oil level?? Any clue sifus?

If u suspect is the gear oil, have you changed it??? If it have not been changed for a long time, just change it loh...
And have you tried heel and toe to blip the throttle before downshifting??? grinding during down shifting is mostly due to synchro, as the synchro's function is the synchronise the 2 gears before being engaged. it's when the 2 gears are not synchronised that gear grinding will occur..

Thanks Fab,

Gear oil changed about a year ago, mileage travelled during the period est. 30k km...so oil should be in reasonable condition, my worry is that the oil level was low as there's a small leak at the location of the oil seal where the long shaft is connected to the gearbox, understood that tis is a common problem.

Heel and toe from 4 to 3 does indeed eliminates the crunching but not from 3 to 2. Hmm...guess gearbox going to kaput:confused:

hi, does anyone know how much the 2 clutch pump on a m40 gearbox cost? i think i might need to change em soon :)

bro rayncc: mine also very apparent at gears 3 to 2...from gears 4 to 3 onli occur at higher revs (spirited driving). Better get a spare gearbox or prepare for a rebuild if u can. Otherwise try the redline gear oil.u can give it a shot since a forummer had tried it and it had solved the issue so far.i've not tried it yet though..no time to hunt for it. you can refer to this thread: http://bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33470

rockonla: i just replaced my lower clutch pump for RM150, hope that helps.

dEAR aLL I hv m40 manual gearbox for sale....behalf of a friend pls call me 018 3734123
u need only the gearbox only right....he only keen to sell the gear box only for rm 1000...NEGOZ
REASON PUTTING M50 ENGINE IN THE E30///

Bro, I'm interested with the g/box but it seem that number can't get through. pm me.

Top Bottom