m40 Manual gear box making sound!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Aero

Club Guest
My Gear box currently sound like a lorry when cruising and accelerate around 2-2.5k rpm.......... going to cost an arm or a let to have it change i guess.

what did ur mechanic say??? Actually can't tell for sure since can't hear what's the noise... Is it confirmed coming from the gearbox and not the rear diff?
Have you change the gear oil? And check whether the magnetic bolt for metal chips... If a lot of metal chippings attached to it, then maybe u have a worn bearing.

is sound like those from a lorry with Grrrr Grrr sound within the rae of 2-2.5k, during accelrating and also decelarating. magnetic bolt dont have, is it available in the market, by the way how can we take care of the gear box, if it is the bearing problem, any change of repair or it not worth the repair.

Thanks

actually how do we determine a good one when we see one on sale, care to advice.

Thanks

Aero;500330 said:
is sound like those from a lorry with Grrrr Grrr sound within the rae of 2-2.5k, during accelrating and also decelarating. magnetic bolt dont have, is it available in the market, by the way how can we take care of the gear box, if it is the bearing problem, any change of repair or it not worth the repair.

Thanks

the magnetic bolt is on the gearbox.. the big bolt at the bottom where u drain the gear oil... it's magnetic..

datsunnismo;500367 said:
bro.... still havent get ah?.. anyway good luck hunting for good one.

ya bro. if you found one, please inform me. thanks

I'm running a E36 318i/325i Getrag gearbox after my Getrag 240 started whining due to worn bearing.. ;)

The Getrag 240 can be rebuilt, just get the bearings (especially the big one at the spindle), but when reassembling you got to use a few cable ties to hold the gears together. As the gear assembly goes into the box, cut the ties one by one.

For cheaper cost, get SKF bearings.

Wad about when ur gears grind when you engage in downshift? or when u upshift above a certain high rpm..synchromesh issue ?

berserkdroid;500474 said:
The Getrag 240 can be rebuilt, just get the bearings (especially the big one at the spindle), but when reassembling you got to use a few cable ties to hold the gears together. As the gear assembly goes into the box, cut the ties one by one.

For cheaper cost, get SKF bearings.

Hey that a good suggestion,where can i get it done and how much is the bearing, can you recomend, as when when i shut down the car ou can hear that there is knocking sound coming from the center or almost to the back of the gear box near where the long shaft connect. by the way which bearing are you refering as near the spindle, do you have diagram.

Have you done the rebuilt before.please pm me the cost and location.

Thanks

jumpman;500907 said:
Wad about when ur gears grind when you engage in downshift? or when u upshift above a certain high rpm..synchromesh issue ?

Does this happen with all gears? Check your gearbox mounting first. Also make sure your clutch hydraulic seals (both master and slave cylinders) are okay and not letting fluid through the seals, resulting in a not fully disengaged clutch.

If you double clutch and there's no grinding, its the syncros...

fabianyee;500468 said:
I'm running a E36 318i/325i Getrag gearbox after my Getrag 240 started whining due to worn bearing.. ;)

which mean a e36 325 uses the same gear box? as getrag 240, mine is not whining more sounded like something loose as when the sound come i can also feel the vibration, while during idling when i shut the engine down i can also hear there is some clok clok sound from the gear box near where the long shaft attachment.

thanks

Aero;501376 said:
Hey that a good suggestion,where can i get it done and how much is the bearing, can you recomend, as when when i shut down the car ou can hear that there is knocking sound coming from the center or almost to the back of the gear box near where the long shaft connect. by the way which bearing are you refering as near the spindle, do you have diagram.

Have you done the rebuilt before.please pm me the cost and location.

Thanks

Does the knocking sound go away when you press the clutch?

My friend and I did the gearbox rebuild ourselves, just for the hell of it. Actually just replacing the main bearings should be good enough, but we got itchy and changed ALL seals and bearings. That and some redline oil makes the gearbox pretty nice.

Some of the other guys on this forum have had their boxes fixed at shops, do a search and you'll come across some interesting threads.

Cheers!

berserkdroid;501384 said:
Does the knocking sound go away when you press the clutch?

My friend and I did the gearbox rebuild ourselves, just for the hell of it. Actually just replacing the main bearings should be good enough, but we got itchy and changed ALL seals and bearings. That and some redline oil makes the gearbox pretty nice.

Some of the other guys on this forum have had their boxes fixed at shops, do a search and you'll come across some interesting threads.

Cheers!

Yes the sound goes away when the clutch is depress even slightly during driving and also when i shut the engine off.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AJ52&mospid=47273&btnr=21_0011&hg=21&fg=05

are you refering to the clutch release bearing from the diagram show as no 3.

Would like to check with you on replacing the seal, can you advice what do i need to remove in order to replace all the seal, as i can see there is three seal which is listed as 13,17 & 9.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AJ52&mospid=47273&btnr=23_0510&hg=23&fg=15

Would appreciate the assistant as currently the gear box are out and dont know what to do, as to change the clutch bearing or the whole clutch set.Even with these change i am not sure whether it will be rectify as i have put in another gear box it also have the same sound as before.

Please advice, need real assistant.If you can help would really appreciate.

Yup its the clutch release bearing, the usual culprit for the symptoms you've described. Also, change part # 12 as illustrated here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AJ52&mospid=47273&btnr=23_0516&hg=23&fg=15

These problems usually happen when the gearbox is run with insufficient oil, or when a mechanic reinstalls the gearbox by whacking it with a hammer to make it fit to the engine.

With regards to the seals, are you leaking any gearbox oil?

berserkdroid;501393 said:
Yup its the clutch release bearing, the usual culprit for the symptoms you've described. Also, change part # 12 as illustrated here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AJ52&mospid=47273&btnr=23_0516&hg=23&fg=15

These problems usually happen when the gearbox is run with insufficient oil, or when a mechanic reinstalls the gearbox by whacking it with a hammer to make it fit to the engine.

With regards to the seals, are you leaking any gearbox oil?

Leaking oil, not really sure as i can see oil in the bell housing and also the area where the long shaft is.what is required to be remove in order to replace the seal,it is adviceable to change it.

how can i change the bearing illustrated as #12 and can i have the part no for skf bearing or any other, can i get it from bavarian auto.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AJ52&mospid=47273&btnr=23_0520&hg=23&fg=15

how about bearing #14 does it need to be change,how much do i expect for both the bearing,does this mean i do not need to change the clutch set?

Am afraid that i dont know who has the experience on changing the bearing and seal, if i seek your assistant it is possible.

Thanks

cheaper to source for the bearings from the bearings dealer/distributor...
u can get the bearings by giving them the dimension(stated in that page) or dismantle the gearbox and bring the bearings along when u buy them, just to be sure.
I think Timken is the more expensive and better bearings.

Top Bottom