How happy you with your current 5 series E39?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sewell

Club Guest
hi guys, i am new to this forum, i would like to know how happy you with your current 5 series E39.i got my car April 2009, which is a 5 Series E39 manufacture 2003 520i clock about 100,000Km when i get her. once got my car notice that the steering rack end and the sterring boot is damage change together with ZF 8 liter ATM oil gasket, filter and Engine oil Pennzoil fully-syn 5W-40. 2 week after the DIN88 battery 'KONG'. 2 month later one of the PDC sensor in front 'KONG' again. if did not replace it the entire front and back sensor will not work. so i go to chop shop to replace it. last week experience that the engine mouting is a bit shaking so replace 2 of the front mouting and 2 gear box mouting. now the workshop told me need to replace the fan cluth and also the maniful valve.can anyone share with me your E39 experience.

hi sewell...welcome to BMWCM...

I do not own an E39 (yet), but I'm hoping to get one in 1 or 2 years' time. With this intention, I know that I would have to put aside a certain amount, say RM 10K-15K, to replace the wears and tears that come with buying a "pre-owned" and getting it back into good running condition.

You wouldn't really know which parts have been fixed and which parts not by the previous owner... and once you have fixed those wear and tear parts, you will then start to enjoy the ultimate driving feeling...

put it this way, if most of the parts that you have just changed lasted 5-6 years (since manufactured), then you would be able to enjoy another 5-6 years without having to change (with regular servicing) that same part again ???

Yes, I do think that a BMW requires a lot of $$ and TLC to maintain, but what the heck...in the end, I love the feeling of driving one...

Just my thoughts...BMW ROCKS!

sewell;476365 said:
hi guys, i am new to this forum, i would like to know how happy you with your current 5 series E39.

i got my car April 2009, which is a 5 Series E39 manufacture 2003 520i clock about 100,000Km when i get her. once got my car notice that the steering rack end and the sterring boot is damage change together with ZF 8 liter ATM oil gasket, filter and Engine oil Pennzoil fully-syn 5W-40. 2 week after the DIN88 battery 'KONG'. 2 month later one of the PDC sensor in front 'KONG' again. if did not replace it the entire front and back sensor will not work. so i go to chop shop to replace it. last week experience that the engine mouting is a bit shaking so replace 2 of the front mouting and 2 gear box mouting. now the workshop told me need to replace the fan cluth and also the maniful valve.

can anyone share with me your E39 experience.

Join the monthly TT or private organised TT .... you will learn a lot from the Uncles.

thats the way it goes buying a used car, in this case a 6 years old car.

you will need to replace these parts due to wear and tear and also those suprising ones as well.

its a cycle. once you are done with it, it will be at least another 2 years (if you are lucky) til the next one.

but if you get a lemon, it can also be neverending. not just to e39 but any other car as well.

Sewell,

Met you this morning at the workshop this mornnig. I too have incurred $$$ thousands for I believe and want to get my ride to a satisfactory and reliable level and/or condition. This morning I replaced the Cam sensor, thermostat and fuel filter plus update the DME software.....ride is now very responsive and smooth.

it is a GOOD car and just need to give and take for some old aging parts. replace and you will be very happy about it. i was converted from merc to bmw so trust me, it is a much better driving car. if you can, just drive to singapore and get the part yourself, you could save a fortune from there!

Good thread!!

I am satisfy with my e39! What car else that u can compare with the price tag rm100K? Even it is more than 10 years car, but i still love it so much even compare with Camry and Accord.

Yes, we can not deny that wear and tear part is kinda high price, but...when u decide to own a 5 series, u are ready for that, right?

agree agree...it's like being James Bond...have to be prepared for the fast cars and pretty gurls =)

bro,
got my '97 528i in feb '09.did the 'must spend' initial rm of rm2k and have been fine eversince.i hope luck will be on my side till i die as the car drives and feels sooooooo smoooooth compared to my previous e34 and e30 and e28.

but then i guess being able to DIY most things helps as well.............

no regrets whatsoever buying this car.........

moots;476459 said:
bro,
got my '97 528i in feb '09.did the 'must spend' initial rm of rm2k and have been fine eversince.i hope luck will be on my side till i die as the car drives and feels sooooooo smoooooth compared to my previous e34 and e30 and e28.

but then i guess being able to DIY most things helps as well.............

no regrets whatsoever buying this car.........

Lucky you bro...sometimes it has to be your lucky star oso...one of our new member (forummer) just bought a 2005 e46 loaded with fully service receipts by a top reputable workshop (in our list of good workshop) for RM 125k...and yet barely one month of ownership..the engine filled with water and has to be replaced!!!....to cut the story short...I never see him in the forum anymore....:eek::eek:

I drive a 2001 model 525. Bought the car in 2006. The car has been very kind to me. I will probably keep this car.

bought mine in month of july this year. its 523 '99 doublevanos. initially drove the car for 2-3 months without any major failure except changing the rear rhs power window module that cost me rm1300. the first visit to workshop, cost me rnd 4K with most things changed,; radiator, reardisk+pads,rear brakehose,abs hoses, longshaft rubber donut,waterpump, thermostats(doublevanos model comes together with the sensor). most of those items were replace as PM as theres some indicative thats its going to fail later.

the list doesnt stop there, ive changed driverside central locking module, bonnet central lock module too as it doesnt response with the fob.

i also need to change the engine mounting,gearbox mounting, gearbox oil and rib belt soon. as moots said it, its good if u can diy as it will reduce the overall "fee"... never regret owning e39.....

skinhead;476496 said:
bought mine in month of july this year. its 523 '99 doublevanos. initially drove the car for 2-3 months without any major failure except changing the rear rhs power window module that cost me rm1300. the first visit to workshop, cost me rnd 4K with most things changed,; radiator, reardisk+pads,rear brakehose,abs hoses, longshaft rubber donut,waterpump, thermostats(doublevanos model comes together with the sensor). most of those items were replace as PM as theres some indicative thats its going to fail later.

the list doesnt stop there, ive changed driverside central locking module, bonnet central lock module too as it doesnt response with the fob.

i also need to change the engine mounting,gearbox mounting, gearbox oil and rib belt soon. as moots said it, its good if u can diy as it will reduce the overall "fee"... never regret owning e39.....

Skinhead,

i was though all E39 523 is singlevanos, btw your car really 'eat' lots money. just a note to you ATM oil is very expensive

sewell;476562 said:
Skinhead,

i was though all E39 523 is singlevanos, btw your car really 'eat' lots money. just a note to you ATM oil is very expensive

Sewell,

Your e39 ride will sooner or later "eat" lots of money from your pocket. :wink::wink:

sewell;476562 said:
Skinhead,

doublevanos engine labelled as 523. if u read my post correctly, major cost was due to PM ie preventive maintenance. as herbert puts it, sooner or later ur e39 will suck you dry, just matter of timing. i want a hassle free & close to perfect ride for my wife, so i changed the parts now rather than later. mind u my car is still running on ori plastic blade propellar water pump when the pump was inspected. e39 or any bimmer is not cheap to run, even the older bimmer. sooner or later u will cry...:63:

lets all be more supportive about this thread...indeed, having a 13 yr old 39'er in my porch is so much fun than owning a brand new Waja, i sold it in less than a year for my ///Mistress...heheh..
face it, see the performance n comfort it gives you despite having to dish out all that hard earned cash...at the end of the day, our families are safer on the roads and enjoy the comfort as well as the joy of the UDM.
Of course its a heavy toy to own, to our pockets...its a BMW...but look at the bigger picture...arent u smiling away when u "floor" ur excelerator n see those" bugs" just disapear in ur rear mirror??
just my 2 cents...its the best experience and most of all, value for money..

cheers~

sewell...i think the bros here are not trying to scare you. it's just a fact that we all face...we're not driving proton or japanese made cars where the parts are cheaper...

some people just buy BMWs thinking they could afford the monthly installment, but they have not considered the time, effort and money needed to maintain the UDM to tip-top condition. But to all of us here (if not most), that is all worthwhile as we feel passionate about our beloved UDM.

i support king82 for wut u said bro...its a passion we all love..the UDM..
the other day i was having a chat with my mech, ull be surprised to see nowadays, the cost of parts n maintenance for Jap cars are even higher than the UDM...Proton no need to say lah...i think, those driving the Protons are the richest lot of all...heheh..

deep3102 :cheers:

hehe...because the reliability is not there and the car tends to break down more often than an UDM. Sorry, I'm not trying to belittle our national cars, but it's something apparent that I have noticed for a long time.

And, eventhough if I'm now driving an old E34, I should not think that the parts are expensive. Afterall, this was an expensive and luxurious car albeit long time ago.

Top Bottom