Help needed...e36 just stopped!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

EuJax

Club Guest
Guys, Today my brother's 97, 318i suddenly just slow down while halfway running in highway as the pedal seems to be malfunction, no pressure at all and the car just stop. And after that, he turned off the engine and try to restart, the car wouldnt start anymore. Car is towed back to workshop and gotta wait till tmr morning to rectify the problem. This is the first time the car break down halfway without any hint or signs, it has been running flawlessly all this years. Any idea what causes it? Gearbox? Fuel pump? Appreciate ur help. Thanks in advance. Regards

i was there... dead in federal highway.. huh

if im correct, there's no response from throttle but engine still running..

Problem: there a little rubber gromet (like washer) the size of 5 cent coin.. which holds the cable somewhere on top of accelerator.. $1o only to replace.. common problem..

actually my mech came to rescue me, just use a safety cable to secure temporary to reach wrkshop.. wow car drives like normal cant tell the diff..

could be other reasons too, cable putus etc...

gd luck..

Thanks for sharing sachseelan. Appreciate it alot. And yea, its like no response on throttle even flooring the pedal, totally no reaction whatsoever. Kinda scary though as it has not signs at all before this. Hope its nothing too serious.

Btw, is ur car engine able to start before ur mech came?

Regards

wah like that also can aaaa...without notice..can suddenly stop....so scared la...coz i m also driving 318i....plz inform me wats the real pblem...after u settel it just want to know..so next time if happen already preapare......( hope not kena to me la )........

aliza5599;416005 said:
wah like that also can aaaa...without notice..can suddenly stop....so scared la...coz i m also driving 318i....plz inform me wats the real pblem...after u settel it just want to know..so next time if happen already preapare......( hope not kena to me la )........

not to worry....318i is one of the lowest maintenance car...less problem and if it did really give you a problem it wont cost you the bomb.....as i am also driving E36 318i....M40 engine summore....so far after owning it for 4 years the only problem were the fuel pump, switches and absorber....but hey, those are the ware & tare parts which any car will faced along the years. :top:

EuJax;415983 said:
Thanks for sharing sachseelan. Appreciate it alot. And yea, its like no response on throttle even flooring the pedal, totally no reaction whatsoever. Kinda scary though as it has not signs at all before this. Hope its nothing too serious.

Btw, is ur car engine able to start before ur mech came?

Regards

BOLEH.. :top:

Hi all,

So they say its the fuel pump thats causing the problem. Need to replace a new set. Cost quite a bit. Will update you guys once the car is done up.

Regards

318 stopped

be careful, dont get conned. maybe the throttle cable only.

if change fuel pump, make sure you get the old unit (with the float, etc..) as these will be useful later when your fuel gauge go haywire.

EuJax;416202 said:
Hi all,

So they say its the fuel pump thats causing the problem. Need to replace a new set. Cost quite a bit. Will update you guys once the car is done up.

Regards

Thanks for the tip...will keep the old unit. Its pretty costly at RM 1k plus for the fuel pump.

Regards

EuJax;416294 said:
Thanks for the tip...will keep the old unit. Its pretty costly at RM 1k plus for the fuel pump.

Regards
sounds expensive. happened to me twice before, on my e36 318 m40 it was the fuel pump which was less than 1K n on my 190e that was the throttle cable which my mech temporary fixed with a lady's hair clip :wink:

hi zamrulez...where did you replace ur fuel pump? Less than 1k sounds like a lot of difference from what i was quoted, but my car is in an authorise BMW workshop so probably bit more. If urs are done in AB as well i would check with them on the prices again.

190e is a nice car :)

Regards

changed my fuel pump end last year at rm600 exclude installation fee.....add rm50 for installation....i guess your price is too high....mine is M40 engine, early E36 model

Hi Eujax,

I'm using e30 m40 engine and the fuel pump did kaput before and i change with a new one for Rm280 only (exclude workmanship)

I don't know about e36 with m40 engine. I used wira 1.8l fuel pump. I believed it pump almost equal amount of fuel to the engine cause the engine capacity is the same. And i been using it from 20/10/2005 till today and NO PROBLEM at all. Hope it help.

Strider;416439 said:
Hi Eujax,

I'm using e30 m40 engine and the fuel pump did kaput before and i change with a new one for Rm280 only (exclude workmanship)

I don't know about e36 with m40 engine. I used wira 1.8l fuel pump. I believed it pump almost equal amount of fuel to the engine cause the engine capacity is the same. And i been using it from 20/10/2005 till today and NO PROBLEM at all. Hope it help.

i've heard about this wira pump into e30 before....i guess it's true then.....lucky u:top:

Hi Eujax,

Had the same problem last year and root of the problem was the fuel pump. Replaced it at RM550 (pump + labour). Problem solved and FC improved slightly. Guess, old pump was due but i did managed to restart the car awhile later (after stalling) and drove to my mechanic to get the pump changed.

Wlvrn;416528 said:
i've heard about this wira pump into e30 before....i guess it's true then.....lucky u:top:

I fitted the wira pump when mine kaput before Strider's... Now running Walbro performance fuel pump...

This is the photo taken when I replaced the failed stock fuel pump with the Wira pump in may 2005.
PICT4964.jpg

Yeah, Fabian is the sifu that shared his knowledge with me and i also wanted to share it with everybody. Definitely the credit goes to Fabian.

Strider;416700 said:
Yeah, Fabian is the sifu that shared his knowledge with me and i also wanted to share it with everybody. Definitely the credit goes to Fabian.

me no sifu, it was the mechanic who first modified it on his E30... Then he mod for my E30... Then I DIYed with the Walbro pump...

I would say can mod for other in tank fuel pump.. Of cos not plug and play... Need to tinker a bit here and there to make it work...

Top Bottom