320i 2005 - Engine Shuts Down While Driving !!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
BMW always give us such a suprise. my car sometime cant be start because of the entire battery is flat. but this only happen half or once a year. bring to mechanic they also cant find out any problem.

Bro,

Do you trust your mechanic completely? Is he really fixing the actual cause of your problems, or just changing parts and hoping the problem goes away? Did he show you the actual fault codes from the diagnostic?

Ok, just got back my car today. It was the battery:18:. Had it replaced and check all systems and alternator all Ok. What a relieve. I have been using this car for only about a year, so I have no idea when the removed battery was last changed.

Notice quite an improvement on engine during idle, not much vibration as before.

nizan1979;650876 said:
Ok, just got back my car today. It was the battery:18:. Had it replaced and check all systems and alternator all Ok. What a relieve. I have been using this car for only about a year, so I have no idea when the removed battery was last changed.

Notice quite an improvement on engine during idle, not much vibration as before.

great! I would go kick your mechanic and ask for refund for all the "repairs" he did...

I have read this somewhere before, the problem could be the faulty IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) or battery. The car is supposed to be smart so that when it sense that the battery is low , to conserve energy it starts shutting down non-critical functions like radio, then perhaps air-con then may DSC /ABS and eventually the gearbox management unit and shut down the car completely to prevent more damage. It could be as simple as the not so intelligent IBS and/or Battery.

Ryou;650877 said:
great! I would go kick your mechanic and ask for refund for all the "repairs" he did...

I swear will not go to that shop anymore. Workmanship is very lousy and the shop lacks lighting, all the mechanics are working in the dark.

nizan1979;650876 said:

Salam Nizan,

How much does the battery cost you ? Original battery or equivalent specs? I think mine is due for replacement .

nizan1979;620194 said:
.. ABS warning light came up, then the DSC/DTC warning light, then RFT warning light and finally gearbox warning light (red color with exclamation mark), then suddenly engine shut down to complete stop...

nizan1979;624081 said:
Below are the items replaced related to this problem:

1. Replaced Starter Motor
2. Replaced Hoses for Ventilation Valve
3. Replaced Ventilation Valve
4. Replaced Crank Shaft Sensor
5. Replaced Brake Switch
6. Repaired Ignition Key Housing
7. Repaired Ignition Key ECU
8. Diagnosed & Reset CAS System

What has these items in the list got to do with the fault? ABS? DSC? RFT? Transmission? Some doesn't make sense..

FIRZ67;664906 said:
Salam Nizan,

How much does the battery cost you ? Original battery or equivalent specs? I think mine is due for replacement .

Replaced with MF (DIN66) battery. Costed me RM325...

astroboy;664921 said:
What has these items in the list got to do with the fault? ABS? DSC? RFT? Transmission? Some doesn't make sense..

Thats the thing, I am also not sure why, probably it was just the battery almost end of life and shuts down all systems. Furthermore, as I was stuck in the middle of the road at that time (when the car shut down in the middle of the road, on the fast/right lane), and I was really mad and keep pressing the start button (and the brake switch) probably more than a hundred times, maybe it just fried the starter motor and ignition systems.

Hi,it was 2 days ago,during first raya some more,otw to relative house in genting sanyen area.my car's engine shut down during cruise @60-80kmh..

After the engine shut down, nothing on the obc was function,no light at all,even hazard lamps cant be switch on.symptoms before the engine shut down was there is look like not enough power on the battery (obc blinked n high beam switch on n off before the engine shut off)

E46 2002,change battery a week before raya.
Already have problem with dsc n abs ( warning sign out already)

After 1-2hrs,Check the battery and realized that there is a circle steel plate on the battery,touching the battery (+) point..
Causing the car to shut down..

salam Nizam..what about the cost rm8.3k damaged b4, can it refund?..do it mean a car was shut down previously just a Battery cause?? what extreme they are..

Top Bottom