is E36 reliable enough?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
armandd...to me just go for it but try to get it direct from owner...
I got my e36 320 manual last month from a MAS pilot...just need to change engine oil...
he provides me the service records,parts changed and some spare parts some more...
he also introduced me to his mechanic who took care of the E36...

goodluck bro...you won't regret...:top:

i've got a 1998 E36 318is coupe UK model.. its a manual and i love it! I bought it three years back in UK.. so far it is no major failure of the Baby, except some normal maintenance..

I have to tell you that it is a very GOOD car for what it is made for.. FYI, I'm a 26 year old with 2 years working experience and will be married soon, similar to your case i think..

well, consider my case and re-evaluate your situation my friend.. :top:

-my 2 cents-

E36 is much more reliable & cheaper to maintain compare to newer model.
Not to mention the Ultimate Driving Machine feeling it provides.

elwine30;475867 said:
well, only thing is the INTERIOR. :(

What bout the interior? My ex E36 do not hv any interior problem. Even the cabin is good for ICE SQ. Damn still miss my E36:top:

man_gunnerz;480500 said:
I got my UDM E36 318i from my late father in law...still pay RM781 per month to finance...just 24 month left to setel that hutang....i untung coz i don't pay d/p to get this car...btw this car still belom tukar nama ...just wait 4 setel that hutang...too complicated la nk story to you all how i can be the owner 4 this UDM....

Nevermind that bro. Hope ur enjoying your ride. Any mods in the pipeline?

There are, broadly speaking, two kinds of bmw owners. The Brand Conscious bought the car for the brand, the image, but know and care little about cars, and would not maintain the car properly because the love is not there. When maintenance bills pill up, or when the warranty runs out, or when enough money is made to trade up to the next model, the car is put up for sale quickly, usually ending up in a car dealer's yard.

Type two, the Car Lovers, have deep feelings for their cars, and would spend any amount of time, care and money on them. The slightest problem is swiftly eliminated by a visit to the workshop, because the car must be perfect for the Car Lover. They would not part with their cars, unless under the most extenuating circumstances, so it's harder to find their cars being put up for sale.

The e36 model is getting on in age. So some major work is inevitable. That said, if you want to be on the safe side, and you have the time and patience, look to buy a car from a Car Lover. You might pay a little bit more, but you'll save yourself a lot of headache.

With the major works done, you can enjoy many more years of ownership pleasure. Search the net, there are many sources on the typical issues of the e36 and how to resolve them. It's no japanese car, that's for sure. But if you persevere, you will understand why so many of us are crazy about the e36 for precisely the same reason.

Good luck.

Lee36328;480530 said:
There are, broadly speaking, two kinds of bmw owners. The Brand Conscious bought the car for the brand, the image, but know and care little about cars, and would not maintain the car properly because the love is not there. When maintenance bills pill up, or when the warranty runs out, or when enough money is made to trade up to the next model, the car is put up for sale quickly, usually ending up in a car dealer's yard.

Type two, the Car Lovers, have deep feelings for their cars, and would spend any amount of time, care and money on them. The slightest problem is swiftly eliminated by a visit to the workshop, because the car must be perfect for the Car Lover. They would not part with their cars, unless under the most extenuating circumstances, so it's harder to find their cars being put up for sale.

The e36 model is getting on in age. So some major work is inevitable. That said, if you want to be on the safe side, and you have the time and patience, look to buy a car from a Car Lover. You might pay a little bit more, but you'll save yourself a lot of headache.

With the major works done, you can enjoy many more years of ownership pleasure. Search the net, there are many sources on the typical issues of the e36 and how to resolve them. It's no japanese car, that's for sure. But if you persevere, you will understand why so many of us are crazy about the e36 for precisely the same reason.

Good luck.

The E36 sifu has spoken:top:

Lee36328;480530 said:

Good luck.
Armand....listen to this wise guru...and listen very carefully...Welcome back bro!!:top::top:

Lee36328;480530 said:

Good luck.

I'm definely type 2! :wink:. Hopefully my ride will change from this...

DSC_6627med2.jpg

to this... soon.. :rolleyes:

12122009194med.jpg

but i will keep the sentra.. there's too much sentimental value in her. :8:

Arman,

Looking at yr sentra, I believe ur car lover. Reminds me of my old Toyota LE 1.3 12V.
Yeah if the sentra fully paid just keep it for rainy days. As E36 already more than a decade, lots of time will be spent on wear & tear repairs. As long you done all the repairs & maintenance E36 will give the pleasure of Ultimate Driving Machine feels.

initialM;480617 said:
Arman,

Looking at yr sentra, I believe ur car lover. Reminds me of my old Toyota LE 1.3 12V.
Yeah if the sentra fully paid just keep it for rainy days. As E36 already more than a decade, lots of time will be spent on wear & tear repairs. As long you done all the repairs & maintenance E36 will give the pleasure of Ultimate Driving Machine feels.

U're right.. The car's been fully paid by 1st owner (my dad) 14 years ago. I bought it from him 4 years ago at RM8k (family discount :bandit:). Already spend nearly RM10k to restore her. Thanks for the suggestion initialM, I plan to do just that. :wink:

armandd;480603 said:

Ermmm! seem like you're already started thinking to get the e36 huh... :top:
So, did you made the decision, yet? Bro, no matter its 318 ka, 325 ka 328 ka,
as long as its a UDM car is good for you to have it. Later, once you get your
UDM, post your ride in this forum and prepare your shield & strong anti virus
then you'll see the poisoning :19: will keep coming to you... kekekek... :wink:

yup, i plan to get a manual 325. still searching for a decent unit with good service history :wink:. still got no luck so far after visiting several car dealer in ipoh and manjung, perak. saw a nice manual 325 at mudah.com but the price was too high, RM45.8k.

theres a manual unit for sale but 328i white at bimmersclub by an enthusiast...

good luck..

sachseelan;480705 said:

good luck..

Agree with sachseelan.. The Great White is for Sale and price is within your budget but its auto now.. was manual. Superb car!

sachseelan;480705 said:

good luck..

it's mr donald's car right? saw it in the classified section the other that but it's auto la.. i prefer 325(m) as the roadtax + insurance is cheaper. correct me if i'm wrong...

Top Bottom