Forum member in focus - today's NST CBT section

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Vanquish

Club Guest
Some of you may have already seen this earlier today. The CBT's Used Executive Car section features a well known member of the forum with his beautiful Phoenix Yellow E39 530i. No prize for guessing who the good Doctor is but overall, the article was rather well written and offers a good insight into the often misunderstood BMW ownership. I had a few friends calling me today wondering if owning a BMW can be a pleasure and be affordable at the same time. The good Doctor prescribes periodic and preventive maintenance to keep your car in optimum shape - can't agree more with him. Cheers,VaN.

Affordable BMW?

ASK around and many will not agree that the two words (Affordable and BMW) should go together.

"Impossible, the parts are more expensive than my house," said one of our readers from Facebook.

Well, Dr Syamsul Ismail begs to differ.

He claims that unless you are buying new, a used BMW can be quite affordable.

Staying in Johor Baru but working in Singapore as a doctor, Syamsul actually drives a Waja to work. He also has a Chevrolet Nabira as an MPV (multi-purpose vehicle) for the family but his baby is actually his BMW 5-Series E39.

"My first BMW was the 325i E46, and the car taught me a lot about cars. The more I learnt, the more I hated the E46," he recalled.

"I did a lot of research and I was confident that the E39 is the best used car one can buy."

He further added that the E39 has good handling, it is rear-wheel driven, has a tough engine, the cost of parts are not too far from his old Perdana V6, has no unnecessary electronic gadgets and "it can do 250km/h on the highway".

He bought his 530i from Naza Auto Mall. It was the last unit there and he considered himself lucky.

He frequents a few mechanics and some of them are actually ex-Auto Bavaria mechanics.

"I change engine oil every 5,000km, the ATF every 10,000km, air filter every 40,000km and water pump, spark plugs and the beltings every 100,000km."

The car had problems before but mostly due to wear and tear. He also took it to the Pasir Gudang track and that made his suspension arms wore out prematurely.

The best part of Syamsul's ownership experience is how affordable his parts are.

Some of the examples are the spark plugs (around RM27 each), absorber mounting (around RM77), a complete set of alternator (RM1,200), OEM ATF at RM30 per litre, cross-drilled front disc brake (RM390 each), brake master cylinder (RM313), tie rod (RM136), ATE brake pads (RM170 per pair, front), rear wheel bearing (RM133), water pump (RM170) and many others.

Syamsul, however, refused to reveal where he buys his parts from, but he claims that one can easily find the shops in Singapore.

"You must ask around and if you ask nicely, BMW owners can be a helpful lot!" he said.

For those interested in getting a E39, Syamsul recommended the one with the M54 engine.

"Whether it's a 2.2L, a 2.5L or the 3.0L, make sure it is the M54 engine because it is bullet proof," he said.

If you are in JB and happen to see a golden 530i E39, don't bother giving a chase because this is one doctor who can really drive.

bmw7833;496706 said:
...For those interested in getting a E39, Syamsul recommended the one with the M54 engine.

"Whether it's a 2.2L, a 2.5L or the 3.0L, make sure it is the M54 engine because it is bullet proof," he said...

WHY..??? :eek:

bmw7833;496708 said:

Based most global consumer reports, I believe that it is one of the most reliable engines made by BMW. The M52 isn't too shabby but the infamous Nikasil issue of the mid 90's certainly it's reputation some damage. Otherwise, they are both excellent engines IMO but I'd swing with the M54 given a choice.

Regards,
VaN.

initialM;496715 said:
Damn cant find the story online. Any help for the link?

Why ? You miss him and wanna see his photo is it ? I'll save the CBT section for you. Come get it from me when you're free this week. :love:

Regards,
VaN.

They should interview me lar instead so I can show all the receipt I've spent for more than 5 years on 3 BMWs. :sleep:

cannot, cos you already vice president of G*Y Club..so need a another person loh...

cabuz...

psst.. dun forget next weekend...

pussy;496736 said:
cannot, cos you already vice president of G*Y Club..so need a another person loh...

cabuz...

psst.. dun forget next weekend...

Dont worry I wont forget to "Robek" you:love:

initialM;496721 said:
They should interview me lar instead so I can show all the receipt I've spent for more than 5 years on 3 BMWs. :sleep:

he buy from singapore ma... so, mesti lar murah...

ah lian;496766 said:

You can add a few more of us to the list too! Poor people like us trying keep our old cars in acceptable conditions! LOL!

Initial - want me to arrange for an interview ? Just say the word ... but please make sure you behave during the interview. Don't give the reporter a :eek: !

Regards,
VaN.

Vanquish;496711 said:
Based most global consumer reports, I believe that it is one of the most reliable engines made by BMW. The M52 isn't too shabby but the infamous Nikasil issue of the mid 90's certainly it's reputation some damage. Otherwise, they are both excellent engines IMO but I'd swing with the M54 given a choice.

Regards,
VaN.

In addition, the M54 engine is using fly-by-wire throttle system. This engine is also used in the first batch of E60 until mid 2005. Tested & Proven :top:

The Doctor has spoken...... his passion for the M54 E39. Thanks to him I too managed to get some parts over there. Yes it can be affordable if you get the right mechanic and good source of parts. But as we all know from experience we had to learn it the hard way first - bad workshops, bad parts. That's why its important to learn from each other.

ah lian;496766 said:

Not really if compare to KL. Then hv to calculate currency & GST. For eg the ATF rm30 per litre??? & he does not say how many litre need to use.:sleep:
All the price he stated is for OEM only

Vanquish;496785 said:
Initial - want me to arrange for an interview ? Just say the word ... but please make sure you behave during the interview. Don't give the reporter a :eek: !

Regards,
VaN.

U know the reporter arr?? Sexy or not???:love:

Top Bottom