First Impression - The BMW 520D

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Toffeeman

Club Guest
2 weeks ago, I finally got my hand on the BMW 520D pre-LCI as the offer was too irrestible to refuse as the dealers are busy off loading the pre-LCI models as BMW prepared to launch the new LCI models into the market.After 1,000km on the clock as of yesterday, I certainly think (at least for now) that the 520D is indeed the car for me given my travelling lifestyle. Here is a summary of the 'travelling lifestyle':1. On average I cover slightly more than 100km a day equating to about 30,000km a year2. Driver use3. Sucker for gadgetSo here are the plus points as I can see it after 1000km of drivingA Real Frugal CarI just love the fuel consumption, with mix city and highway driving and stuck in the jam half the time, the average consumption as it stays now is 8.5l/100km. This is definitely a major improvement as compared to my old W211 E200K which chalked up around 12.1l/100km while my E90 325 is shitty at an average of 14.5l/100kmFull Appreciation of What Torque Can DoFor city driving,now I realised that torque is more important than HP. The high torque allows one to zip around and makes full use of the power the car can deliver at low end of the speed level. No doubt, the car pumps out at mid range and high rev, but most of the time this is not essential in practical day use. Gadget ImprovementsI for one like the following gadgets in the car, which is an improvement to my other rides. They are:- Bluetooth audio means that I can stream my Australian and Singapore radio stations to the I-Drive- Improved I-Drive system compared to my old 2007 325- Eco-Pro although I can't stand the shuddering restart- The dim light on the side doors at night. Make the car look cool- The welcome light at each of the door- The Auto Hold function- Dynamic damper system allows one to try different configuration in line with one's driving mood. One day it can be a family car and another day can switch to Sports Mode as one drives along a twisty road off the highway.And just like any ride, there is always room for improvements and some niggling stuffs. They are:Restart of the Eco Pro FunctionCan't it be more discreet? Everytime it restarts, its as if the whole car was in the ice room shivering. Certainly, BMW needs to improve on this. I must say Japs did well in this area.The Niggling Feeling of the Effects of Euro 2 FuelOne can't help but wonder this Euro 2 fuel will cause adverse effects to the engine in the long run. Well until then, let's wait and see. And also hate it when goes to the petrol station and see "Sudah Habis" sign or the fuel nozzle too big to fit in the car petrol tank. On Sudah Habis sign, I was cautioned that it always happen on end of the month. So need to plan the timing of topping up the fuel. On fuel nozzle, I will never go Petron again. Most likely stick to Shell or BHP.Mild Vibration at the Steering Wheel (And the Thin Steering Wheel too)I don't know. I can feel the distinct difference between petrol and diesel rides. Sometimes it can be irritating and puts a dent to an otherwise perfect BMW drive characteristics. And of course I really miss my M-Sport thick steering wheel. But for another RM3K and to be used by driver most of the time, I guess I will live with it for the moment.Summing up, its a great car. BMW has brought diesel technology to the forefront without sacrificng the legendary BMW driving characteristics. Hopefully this car will give me and my family wonderful travelling experience in the next 5 years at least.Average Run FlatsRun flats are never my cup of tea and it does not help with Goodyear Excellence tyres. And worst I was told my other option is only Pirelli Euphori tyres. Once after run out I will switch back to normal tyres in the form of Conti CSC 5 or Michelin PS3. To be supported by Mobility Kit.

Nice write up bro toffeeman. We share the same thoughts. Mine has clocked 5k kms over the past 1 month.

same sentiments as you, miss the m sport steering and hate the dinky 17" RFT. I have switched to normal tyres, upsized to 19". Bought the spare tyre kit for long distance trips but lose the cargo space and also the tyre puncture kit for the short trips. When changing tyres you will notice the bigger gap between the rubbers and fenders, having you itch for lowering springs. Damn BMW....

Have the same feeling on the steering wheel and going to have it checked by the dealer after bimmerfest.

currently seeking for an m sport steering or reupholstering. Unfortunately, need to leave the car for two days as none has a spare for the f10.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice write up bro toffeeman. We share the same thoughts. Mine has clocked 5k kms over the past 1 month.

same sentiments as you, miss the m sport steering and hate the dinky 17" RFT. I have switched to normal tyres, upsized to 19". Bought the spare tyre kit for long distance trips but lose the cargo space and also the tyre puncture kit for the short trips. When changing tyres you will notice the bigger gap between the rubbers and fenders, having you itch for lowering springs. Damn BMW....

Have the same feeling on the steering wheel and going to have it checked by the dealer after bimmerfest.

currently seeking for an m sport steering or reupholstering. Unfortunately, need to leave the car for two days as none has a spare for the f10.

You won't regret the purchase of a diesel, especially if you travel a lot. Don't worry about our fuel quality, all the diesel E60's presently still running strong should convince you enough.

Mine just pass 2 years last month. Done just over 80k and still going strong. But the steering wheel vibration is there. Complained and had the 2 engine mountings replaced better but still the vibration is there. Too bad the warranty is only 2 years. Hopefully nothing major is going .... But so far so good.

Hi guys, it is because of reading comments from the forum that have convinced me to upgrade my ride to the f10 520d from my previous e46 318i. I will be getting my car sometime this week, again from the good deal and discount given because of the LCI model been launched and the dealers want to get rid of old stock. I will provide my experience and feel once i have got hold of the car. Only problem now is with the too many holidays around, the car has been delayed for JPJ transfer of ownership (it's pre-reg) and Puspakom. Cheers.

Thank you for the great posts. It further convinced me that I made the right choice to pick 520d over 520i.

When I first decided to the my first bimmer, I did a lot of research, going through forums and watched every review available in youtube. Since I am quite heavy on the pedal, I was attracted to the high torque of the 520d. However, in my logical mind, the 520i has many advantages such as a better resale value and no problem with running out of fuel at petrol station.

I test drove 520i first. The ride was very good except I need to press a littler harder after stopping. At that point I still undecided on d or i. Once week later, I test drove 520d, I just felt in love with the high torque. It is just great fun to drive.

I followed my heart at the end and placed my booking on the 520d. I told myself "Life is short, I need to experience new thing"

Sad thing is my new baby is also stuck at the JPJ since Monday. It is a pre-reg and requires change of ownership. I was told JPJ is upgrading their computer system. Damn.

I have few questions regarding the items posted earlier

1. Does changing to the M steering wheel will minimize the vibration problem? Where can get it be fixed and how much does it cost?
2. I am also thinking to upgrade to larger rim and use normal tyres with mobility kit. Any workshop recommendations where I can get a nice and affordable rim and tyres? How much can I get for trading in the new 17 RFT tyres and original rims?

One more question: Does anyone of you take up the offer to do paint coating like Gzox?

Thank you again for the sharing. I am happy to be part of the D family.

True. My 530d is almost 10 Years and the torque still superb. We even use diesel - 520d for our company car. Another great car from BMW but a bit noisy as compared to 530d. I wish BMW malaysia put comfort seat and sunroof on the f10. But in term of handling and performance, I still prefer my old 530d. But interior wise, f10 is much better than e60 or any f10 competitor.

Kht;851402 said:
Mine just pass 2 years last month. Done just over 80k and still going strong. But the steering wheel vibration is there. Complained and had the 2 engine mountings replaced better but still the vibration is there. Too bad the warranty is only 2 years. Hopefully nothing major is going .... But so far so good.

My E60 520i is nearing 10 year old and it's time to upgrade. I was contemplating either Audi A6 Hybrid or Premium selection yr 2013 F10 model 520d. No experience with diesel car before. Heard some bad remarks from my mechanic tho. After reading this thread, i felt much at peace. "Torque..." here I come :)

Do stick with BHP diesel if you can, definitely the smoothest feel but Petronas does give slightly better mileage compared to BHP.

My previous car is e60 523i. Just upgrade to f10 520d in october 2013. Luv the sound of e60 but performance n mileage 520d is better.

Im planning to buy the new lci d model but a bit afraid about euro2 diesel in malaysia. Is it okay? Do i need to change the filter frequently?

YOu guys are lucky, I have never managed to get more than 850 km on a full 60l tank.
I did do the M-Power upgrade though. Have to say that for the 9k spent, I am NOT happy. Does not feel much of an improvement over the original car.
With regards to diesels, again I have to say, my previous diesels (C270 CDI, S320 CDI, E60 525d) feel much torquier off the line.
Sort of regret buying this new, when I could have had a 3 yr old 535i

Well, as for me , the power is adequate. It was a smooth ride and power is obtained where it matters most. I have a E90 325, after trying the diesel, sometimes I feel the six potter is a bit of a overrated engine. The power was good in mid range speed but we normally need is the initial stage where a diesel turbo powered engine is at its best.

I'm a dieselhead and loving how my 320d goes around so effortlessly yet giving such great mileage. Best mileage I did was 5.8L/100km.

Sent from my Xperia™ Tablet Z using Tapatalk Pro

4.1L/100km? That's a record lah.....Mine was 4.5L/100km while on my way to Penang. Was pushing around 110-180km/h.

Some update on a new 520d engine which will be arriving later this year quoted from paultan.org

BMW 520d gets new 190 hp 2.0 turbodiesel
First off – a car that’s actually available for purchase in Malaysia. The BMW 520d will get a new 2.0 litre turbodiesel engine from BMW’s new modular engine system. The new engine uses an aluminium crankcase with thermally joined liners for optimisation of internal friction coefficients, integrated balance shafts, and a map-controlled oil pump. Injector pressures have been increased to 2,000 bar.
The new engine outputs 190 hp and 400 Nm of torque, which is an upgrade from the current 520d’s 184 hp and 380 Nm numbers. Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h is 7.9 seconds for the 520d sedan, while consuming just 4.7 litres per 100 km.

More powar!!

Top Bottom