F10 520d vs 523i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
docrayboy;683778 said:
The 520d has damn good sound insulation-even better than the 320d which is already a quiet car from the inside. The smooth in line 6 of the 523i is over rated and is not a plus factor, I reckon, with its engine that is lacking in grunt and is on the way into the has-been bin.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. We sure have a lot of diesel fans here!

However, I tend to agree with Skp021 on the smooth in line six compared to 4 pot diesel. I also like the vroom sound of the engine vs the taxi like diesel engine sound. Anyway, i will go test out the 520d first before making any judgement.

18 days after I took delivery of my oil burner and 4500 km later still think I made the right choice. Seems more and more eager to go than ever.

colebruno;684083 said:
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. We sure have a lot of diesel fans here!

However, I tend to agree with Skp021 on the smooth in line six compared to 4 pot diesel. I also like the vroom sound of the engine vs the taxi like diesel engine sound. Anyway, i will go test out the 520d first before making any judgement.

Try each car 3 times then make your decision, bro. Its smoother marginally, but it drinks petrol exponentially and has no torque catastrophically....

Yesterday I was driving up the bangsar hill from bv to bsc. Uphill - best way to fully appreciate 380nm. An audi a4 had to rev high to keep up. While the 520d had such great pace with such low revs thanks to the high torque and 8 gears.

Because of the high torque and 8 speeds the engine barely needs to rev up and you rarely hear it.

And it's not like the engine is rough up to redline. It sounds smooth and doesn't struggle. Just sounds different like two humans have different voice.

paultantk;685417 said:
Yesterday I was driving up the bangsar hill from bv to bsc. Uphill - best way to fully appreciate 380nm. An audi a4 had to rev high to keep up. While the 520d had such great pace with such low revs thanks to the high torque and 8 gears.

Because of the high torque and 8 speeds the engine barely needs to rev up and you rarely hear it.

And it's not like the engine is rough up to redline. It sounds smooth and doesn't struggle. Just sounds different like two humans have different voice.

Actually any car with direct injection sounds a bit like a diesel too... so i don't really understand what's big deal about it... anyway, while u are inside the car, you can't really hear much of the so call “noise"... and with 8 speed automatic i think it really makes the car drives smooth... like paultan said, it is just like 2 different voice...

:24:The problem with the diesel engine is when u stop the 520d in front of a 5 star hotel main enternce, many will feel funny why this BMW sound like a taxi.......

Ever since I driving my 520d, guess what, I already lost my freedom to go out tt silently at night. Cause once I started the engine, my kids will come look for me.

Eclipse;685738 said:
:24:The problem with the diesel engine is when u stop the 520d in front of a 5 star hotel main enternce, many will feel funny why this BMW sound like a taxi.......

Ever since I driving my 520d, guess what, I already lost my freedom to go out tt silently at night. Cause once I started the engine, my kids will come look for me.

Reeally...?? I remember when i was 15-17 years old, i pushed my mom car from garage to sneak out.. But requires few partner in crime..

Eclipse;685738 said:

Totally agreed wz eclipse.. The engine sound is the only sad point for 520d..
"ta.ta.ta.ta" really sound like taxi:(

Htw;685800 said:
Totally agreed wz eclipse.. The engine sound is the only sad point for 520d..
"ta.ta.ta.ta" really sound like taxi:(

I agree that when u talk about the noise on when u are standing outside the car or when the car is inside the garage sure it will be a tad louder... but isn't it the same for the petrol version... you will hear the engine sound unless it is a electric car... it is just the matter of getting use to it... the main point is it drives and goes like a UDM should...

Its a paradigm shift...petrol to diesel, standard phones to smart phones, BN to ?Pakatan
This is the future....
Move on and get used to it.....

I do not see a point in arguing which is better.
Different people have different priorities and preferences.
So, Be it a 523I or a 520D, Both are great cars and good in their own respect.
No point saying the sound of diesel this and that or the Petrol drink petrol like no body business....
Just enjoy the ride and peace out.

Diesel has been a main factors in Europe for many years now.
Future? could be running on H20 and produce massive power . 0 mpg and quieter than Hybrid...
for now, just enjoy the F10 at this present time.

Just buy petrol and diesel like me, no more headache. Heeheeheeee

Eclipse;685738 said:

Althought I lost my freedom for curi-curi TT, but I gain a lot of fun driving the 520d while I travel north and sounth every week. The diesel engine sound so sweet when u try to overtake cars, and u can feel the 'power'. After change to a diesel car, noway for me to change back to small CC NA car. I will choose the 520d over the 523i anyday even the 520d selling at 523i price. :rock:

docrayboy;685822 said:
Its a paradigm shift...petrol to diesel, standard phones to smart phones, BN to ?Pakatan
This is the future....
Move on and get used to it.....

Hehehe... I like this quote by doc :) :top:

ck318ci;685826 said:
I do not see a point in arguing which is better.
Different people have different priorities and preferences.
So, Be it a 523I or a 520D, Both are great cars and good in their own respect.
No point saying the sound of diesel this and that or the Petrol drink petrol like no body business....
Just enjoy the ride and peace out.

Diesel has been a main factors in Europe for many years now.
Future? could be running on H20 and produce massive power . 0 mpg and quieter than Hybrid...
for now, just enjoy the F10 at this present time.

Yup exactly and abosolutely correct. Everybody has its own preferences. Yup the fuel saving and torque of diesel engine is amazing. Having tested drive 320d and 530d I still prefer 6 cyclinder NA engine. And my personal view BMW NA petrol engine is more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Another thing I cant afford those newer BMW. Mine are just old junk cuntchill. Just experience the Joy and Sheer Driving Pleasure of Ultimate Driving Machine.

Just went to AB Sg. Besi to test-drive both the 523i and 520d for the second time today after booking a 520d last month. However I must say that the test-drive today was done without any prejudice. I sort of "reset" my mind before stepping into the showroom. This time, I spent a little more time on listening to the engine noise of 520d as well. Here's a short note of what I found out this round:

523i
No doubt the 6-potter is smooth as silk. But my butt dyno tells me that it lacks the "omph" factor in the torque department. It doesn't give me any surprise, just performs as the way it should.

520d
The instant I step on the accelerator, I already feel that the torque is immensely good. The "pick-up" is so good that it gives me the feel of driving a lighter and smaller car, like a 3-series. The gear change is hardly noticeable, just like 523i. While driving, I can barely hear the engine noise except when I press hard on the accelerator. I fact, I won't even call it "noise". I don't know, maybe it's just the turbo sound? About the clatter sound heard when one is outside of the cabin, frankly, the insulation is so good that it dampens the clatter sound by a great deal. I even open the hood to listen to the clatter sound. It is not like the normal clatter sound associated with other diesel-powered cars. At least it's not like my workhorse Nissan Navara. It sounds a tad softer.

In summary, today's test drive reaffirms my decision to book a 520d.

(The above is solely my personally opinion)

Took my 523i in Port Klang last Wednesday, it was the first time i drove the car and experienced the sound at 5000rpm... I thought mannnn this is a real JOY... When overtaking, I just drop a gear with the paddle shift (mine equipped with sports automatic transmission with paddle shift), rpm went straight to 5000 and the soundtrack plays all over again... SWEEET..!!

But cannot lawan 520d punya torque lah... but it suit my purpose lah... Both are real joy to own.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/04/15/are-you-going-to-miss-the-big-six-engines/

Yup all u need now is a quad exos.... Supersprint, 3D or Arqray. Take your pick! Pump up the volume! 523i acoustics is really music to the ears.....

Top Bottom