engine oil mysteriously disappearing....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
no oil leak....at least no stain on floor.
thought of changing to single grade oil but afaid of sludginess....
sigh....

Kayzhen, there are many parts to the oil separator. Some hoses could be clogged causing the oil to go to the intake manifold. So you may want to double check, don't rule that out yet.

thats a possibility....
ur very thorough iandaddy....
by the way....
u know where to get the black plastics for the dashboards and door sides?
the wood grained thingy?

You can have the trim laminated with other patterns or you can wrap them with some vinyl like 3M Di-Noc with CF pattern . I DIY with 3M the the trims, not very satisfied with my workmanship will redo that again. It is actually quite nice depends on the colour of the interior. Mine is all black so the contrast is not so good. I have got some extra, can sell you cheap-cheap.

bro....
i can get mine done up too....
around 280.
problem is....
its too black!
bad contrast.
but the ones shown by haywire and paul is very good
maybe is only for E46.
but glossy black is really good la
dunno where to get them tho bro...

btw, iandaddy....
i checked with my mechanic and he says the hoses at the separator will not clog.
how true is it?

bro,as i mentioned before,the drain hose from the ccv to the oil sump may clog up,as has happened to me.....in my case not only did the rubber hose clogged but the lower part of the dip stick tube was totally clogged such that oil was not able to drain back to the sump.....oh y the way....is there any smoke puff from the exhaust at start up?if got then confirm la.......the ttrapped oil at the ccv drain gets sucked up and burnt

kayzhen911;550847 said:
easy for u to say evil....
top overhaul is really expensive. if we can patch a leak, then why not? btw, astro....
my mileage is 100K miles. using bardahl 10W/40 semi

My eight year old M54 engine also consumed about 1 litre of engine oil every 6000+ km. Milage 165,000km. Try using, Castrol Sports Edge 10w/60 or Petronas Syntium 1000 15w/50. Both are fully synthetics. It helps :top:

p/s: If there are no leakages, I was told it is common for BMW engine to consume engine oil. So, no need to worry but just top-up & drive!

moots;552670 said:
bro,as i mentioned before,the drain hose from the ccv to the oil sump may clog up,as has happened to me.....in my case not only did the rubber hose clogged but the lower part of the dip stick tube was totally clogged such that oil was not able to drain back to the sump.....oh y the way....is there any smoke puff from the exhaust at start up?if got then confirm la.......the ttrapped oil at the ccv drain gets sucked up and burnt

So we should change also hose #1 & hose #6 in one go?

hose #1 is the one that yr mech says no change required as only blow by gases pass thru it but drain tube #6 gets clogged up as this is the oil drain hose.remove this and clean.in my case,the dip stick tube itself was also clogged( where the drain hose connects to) .i removed the dip stick tube from the sump and got it cleaned till oil can flow thru again......

Quoted from the above link:

DSC_4393a-e1279827500249.jpg

i have read thru the thread as i am experiencing the same problem here.

any recommendation on what to check first? my ride is a M54 525 and clocked 210k km. Dip stick show min oil after about 6k km. I have checked the oil with engine running and engine off. both result are same. no leak whatsoever.

i think u shud try cheaper alternatives first.
i put in a russian treatment "Resur" and it still showed oil disappearing....
but lately, i constantly checked my dip stick and am pleasantly surprised that after topping up 1 litre, there was no diminishing yet.
am constantly monitoring it tho....
wouldnt wanna jump the gun .
will be travelling long distance to penang this weekend and will check again if the dip stick will dip.

kayzhen911;555954 said:
i think u shud try cheaper alternatives first.
i put in a russian treatment "Resur" and it still showed oil disappearing....
but lately, i constantly checked my dip stick and am pleasantly surprised that after topping up 1 litre, there was no diminishing yet.
am constantly monitoring it tho....
wouldnt wanna jump the gun .
will be travelling long distance to penang this weekend and will check again if the dip stick will dip.

where u bought the Resur? anything that u changed so far?
i am travelling to penang this week also..

Top Bottom