engine oil mysteriously disappearing....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Similar problem, my mech changed oil to 5w50(Fully Synthetic) and added bardahl 2 additive. Problem solved for almost 2 years but top up needed every 5000 about 1 litre.
Finally UDMs heart gave up, 2 cylinders not firing due to compression leak... 270k km, just changed engine in June for RM.3.5k

you may find some luck with STP stop leak. it is supposed to revive old shrunken seals (inclusive of valve seals). sometimes a few shots of that is needed to see impact. it may offer something but the propoer way is of course, top overhaul. overall if you can get to do 1 ltr per 5000km run oil top up, it should be ok with a high mileage engine.

never run the engine below the min mark....it can throw a rod thru.

I usually get the "check engine oil level" when I touch about 8000km, which the service indicator drops by 2bars. I then go service instead of top-up. So, on the average, service every 8000km-9000km.

When the "check engine oil level" comes on, there is still about 6lits of oil in the engine, unless there's a big leak. when I get the message, I check oil next morning, it's at the min level, top-up 1lit, done deal.

I use Royal purple 10W40.

thanx guys....
real help.
maybe i might try STP.
no harm right?
someone told me to get single grade oil
SAE40
any help?

Kayzhen, check this out. [video=youtube;Nbp5GkGAwLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbp5GkGAwLw&feature=related[/video]

if it's your car, you should send for check-up to determine root cause as loosing oil at tat rate is not a good sign. when u cant even determine the reason for loosing oil, yet want to put in additive, may not work. just some logical approach.

bro....
me my mechanic my frens r all scratching our heads lar
can even find the root
we r trying to eliminate possible causes.
cheapest solution first.

Kayzhen, don't know if this will work, I read it somewhere.
With the engine idling , open the oil filler cap.
Try to cover the hole with your palm. If you feel light suction (vacuum) then oil separator is ok, however if the engine stall or there is a lot of vacuum then the oil separator diagphram i s shot or a hose there is clogged.

kayzhen911;551314 said:
bro....
me my mechanic my frens r all scratching our heads lar
can even find the root
we r trying to eliminate possible causes.
cheapest solution first.

I had this problem with my old engine. the the problem was the oil sump gasket. after the change of the gasket the vanishing stopped.

bro, M54 engine is famous for burning oil, mine have the same problem, don't bother to overhaul / change oil separator, i have done that and i don't see much improvement except $ burned, i remember my friend got his new E60 (1st batch) in 2004, also running a M54 engine, his engine is burning oil too until now.
I have used 5w50 BHP fully syn and 10w50 total fully syn, seems to be the same, last week i just change to 10w40 total semi just to see if it burn less oil.
How do u find bardahl? i use it once, feels like cooking oil when touch/ maybe they sold me a snake oil. Anyway i opt for Total as it cost the same and it is definitely a better oil.

aangavatar;551714 said:
bro, M54 engine is famous for burning oil, mine have the same problem, don't bother to overhaul / change oil separator, i have done that and i don't see much improvement except $ burned, i remember my friend got his new E60 (1st batch) in 2004, also running a M54 engine, his engine is burning oil too until now.
I have used 5w50 BHP fully syn and 10w50 total fully syn, seems to be the same, last week i just change to 10w40 total semi just to see if it burn less oil.
How do u find bardahl? i use it once, feels like cooking oil when touch/ maybe they sold me a snake oil. Anyway i opt for Total as it cost the same and it is definitely a better oil.

M54 engine famous for burning oil? Mine also M54. never need to top up even after 8,000 KM.

Am using Shell Helix fully syn and recently on Penzoil. Both oil also never need to top up.

jarance;551718 said:
M54 engine famous for burning oil? Mine also M54. never need to top up even after 8,000 KM.

Am using Shell Helix fully syn and recently on Penzoil. Both oil also never need to top up.

I have been using Helix Ultra/Bardhal 5w-40 and also Bardhal 10w-40 semi , never burn any oil on my M54. Only once, when 2 of my ignition coil kaput and I drove 30KM to the workshop and found some half a litre of oil has gone missing. Since then no issue !

Been using Bardhal fully syn tho quite a thick oil but am very happy with it so far :top:

Top Bottom