E90 LCI Daytime Lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
If you have I drive, you can do it there on the lights menu . If not, on the left stalk are all the menus. It is easy to do. hope this helps. reading the manual will definitely help too:pcguru:

David Yong;507760 said:
I have to agree with Schwepps... why need to ON it ? Is it necessary and what purpose does it serves ? It will only shorten your bulb lifespan. Just turn if OFF and leave it at Auto so that it will automatically ON & OFF if requires. If you ON the DRL feature, then the function of Auto light is no use as it will be ON all the time. You will never enjoy the good function of Auto light. Just my opinion :)

DRL is for the corona ring to be on when driving. Auto is for the headlights to be on when ambiance is dark enough. Different la!

racheltoh;507926 said:
opps BIG favor. can someone take photo n show me which is the DRL knob/switch?

by the way, mine is at AUTO. does it eat up battery more compared if I switch it off?

DRL is not at your main light control on the right side near the door. It's in iDrive or the signal stalk computer control (those without iDrive).

iDrive:
If you have iDrive, then it's in the Lights section of the SETUP. If not, then it's at the signal stalk.

For the stalk:
Use the scroll until you see the picture of a KEY with a TICK on it. Press the BC button then scroll again towards the bottom until you see the picture of the lights with a SUN next to it. Click BC and you can now select ON or OFF.

As far as I know, AUTO will not use up more battery when u switch it off.

Auto is the best option as it switches on the low beam Xenons when the ambient light REQUIRES lights to be on. It switches on my lights even in my car porch when I start up during the day. :top:

Schwepps;508046 said:
Auto is the best option as it switches on the low beam Xenons when the ambient light REQUIRES lights to be on. It switches on my lights even in my car porch when I start up during the day. :top:

.. and of course, your favorite Penchala tunnel.. :p

Talking about the Corona Rings, i am fed-up with mine :rolleyes: after looking at the Wiralution, Vios-olution, Avanza-lution...and the like...their's are DAMN BRIGHT than mine!!!:hmpf: 'Bo lat liao'

Yes, and of course Penchala tunnel. It's cool to see at another BMW in the rearview mirror entering the tunnel and his Xenons flick on. :top:

Bro Spaceman, why is bright better? I think the BMW coronas are very classy in their muted yellow halo. Bright white rings belong to Jap look-at-me wannabe cars. Where style is concerned, less is always more. :wink:

DRL option is available on modern BMWs for simple reasons:

1. It is a safety requirement in some EU countries as it increases the visibility of your car to other motorists.

2. It hardly consumes any current as they are lit by LEDs that consume less than 1.5volts

3. If it encourages and is proven to promote safer motoring, why not use them? Perhaps some of you like to drive with DSC off and disable your ABS systems..........?

kevster30;508076 said:
DRL option is available on modern BMWs for simple reasons... Perhaps some of you like to drive with DSC off and disable your ABS systems..........?

Nope.. my 2007 E90 320i no DRL, only welcome lights.

Yes, our E90 comes with a button to switch off both DSC and DTC, isn't that amazing?! I know Merc C-Class can't, which makes them a super boring car on the track.. :D :D

Some time driving on Malaysian highway u rather be invisible than visible. When u flick your over taking signal, the hogger speed off and want to challenge u. I rather overtake them without them even notice it.. spook them, brush close to them to wake them up for hogging the fast lane.. :p hahaha! :D :D

kevster30;508164 said:
AB,

I forgot that your ride got no I Drive ler....

Hehe... 320d also no mar.. :D Technically, our E90 is 500g lighter.. :p :love: :top:

David Yong;507760 said:
I have to agree with Schwepps... why need to ON it ? Is it necessary and what purpose does it serves ? It will only shorten your bulb lifespan. Just turn if OFF and leave it at Auto so that it will automatically ON & OFF if requires. If you ON the DRL feature, then the function of Auto light is no use as it will be ON all the time. You will never enjoy the good function of Auto light. Just my opinion :)

I activated DRL in iDrive this morning and drove to work. DY, you're right, DRL means BOTH the coronas and Xenon outer lights are on. It just looked like I left my headlights on in bright daylight, and am needlessly subtracting from the 2-3,000 hour service life of my Xenons.

Oh BTW, got one flash from an opposite car and one motorbike who beeped me at the traffic lights, pointing to my front. Two nice guys who only thought I'm a forgetful or novice driver. Remind me, what are we supposed to be flaunting with DRLs again? :rolleyes:

Schwepps;508212 said:
I activated DRL in iDrive this morning and drove to work. DY, you're right, DRL means BOTH the coronas and Xenon outer lights are on. It just looked like I left my headlights on in bright daylight, and am needlessly subtracting from the 2-3,000 hour service life of my Xenons.

Oh BTW, got one flash from an opposite car and one motorbike who beeped me at the traffic lights, pointing to my front. Two nice guys who only thought I'm a forgetful or novice driver. Remind me, what are we supposed to be flaunting with DRLs again? :rolleyes:

i quite sure only the coronas will light up for DRL. if the ambient light is low like early in the mornings, then the outer xenon's will light up too. but when it is bright enough the xenon's will switch off automatically. thats in the auto mode.

if u leave it in the position 0 only the coronas will light up regardless the ambient light condition...

anyone beg to differ?? :top:

Yes, beg to differ. :) With DRL activated:

Light switch at '0' = nothing lights up
Light switch at 'A' = both coronas and outer Xenons light up
Ambient light = bright sunshine

at position 0, with DRL activated, the coronas light up... at least in my car... :eek:

So DRL in both variants vary in definition? Pengsan!

I only know my 2007 variant confirm no DRL, only Welcome Light which only activate when in "Auto".

Even the welcome light is not available in pre-2007 model.. :D :D

Schwepps;508227 said:

Schwepps;508231 said:
Mine is pre-LCI... :)

Yeah my pre-LCI is the same. Hence I don't bother turning on DRLs as it will shorten the life of my Xenons. If only corona rings... then I may do so. I usually keep it in Auto mode, so when it gets darker, the lights will come on.

astroboy;508235 said:
So DRL in both variants vary in definition? Pengsan!

Ya very confusing. I think there are mods than can be done to turn pre-LCI's DRLs to be only the corona rings. I remember reading about some done in the US, by those who modded their corona rings to whiter/brighter LED lights.

Here's the link:Daeos Daytime Angel Eye Operation System for the E90

Schwepps;508227 said:

Could it be its because the coronas are brighter on LCI models (as compared to pre LCI)?

Top Bottom