E90 320 Se Steering Heavy

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

soorian

Club Guest
Sifus, Compare to my E46, my E90 320 Se steering seems to be heavy la ..is there problem with it ? or its normal because of RFT ?

danc;257462 said:
Normal, that was one of the reason I didn't take the 320

" Wifi Complaining la...one of the reason she still using my E46" and i am with E90 :rock:

I can't compare to the E46 as I have never owned one before.

But yes, I do feel that the E90 320i steering is quite heavy especially at low speeds, compared to other cars. When I first got the car, I needed some time to get used to the weight. It was a bit hard to use only one hand to control the steering, especially in those tight 3-point turns where you have to shift between R & D a couple of times with your left hand, and use the right hand/palm to "twist" the steering.

However now that I'm used to it, I must say I love the feel, especially when taking corners :top:

My 2cent... Hope any shifus here might wanna correct me if I am wrong...

Driven the 3series and the 5series and realised the handling is a little stiff on the 3series due to the RFT. However, change over to the 5series, its more 'loosen up' cos of the non-RFT.

Am I right? Anyhow, after awhile of driving the 3 and the 5, I realised the 3 suits me more, can 'fee' more of the road, compare to the 5.

Hi,

Yes, my 320i's steering (with only 16 inchers) is also very heavy, especially at slow speeds. I read in another thread that the original BMW rims are heavy & coupled with RFT's makes it worse, doesn't this heavy steering issue occur in other series? Used to be able to hold my gal's hand with my left hand while driving with my right.....now cannot do that, at least not until I get more used to the car :rolleyes:

Chris

chris1,

I am darn sure if you get used to it, you can do even more than just holding ur gal's hand while making a 3-point turns... HaHaHa...

Joking... No hard feelings!

320 steering heavy ? where got lah ! ! ! You guys all got skinny arms. Better get to the gym and impress your women / wives with 3 point turns.

GHS tsk tsk ! most dissapointed in you. LOL

;)

Haha... Bimmer910 dun kutuk me la...
Now I used to the steering weight oredy, and I'm loving it!

Can easily do 3-point turns with 1 hand, the other is free to do something more useful :p

I started driving before power steering became de rigeur, so I think you're all being a little girlish here, no offence. And my dad taught me to keep both hands on the steering wheel and hold hands only in the cinema... :D

Never driven a E46 before so I can't say whether the steering on the E90 320i is heavier. Compared to other makes, including the Audi A4, the steering on the 320i is heavier but it's not bad. I actually prefer the 320i steering "weight" as it is more communicative.

Never had an issue with the E90's steering weight. When driving other makes (especially Japanese models), I've always thought that they were too light. I always thought the weight of the E36 and E90 steering was just right :)

treat it as a free gym equipment to strengthen your arms. No need to pay gym membership or pay for equipment purchase to get beefier arms ;)

I like TomJB's comments. Make sure the companion is from the opposite gender ya!!!

Schwepps;257569 said:
I started driving before power steering became de rigeur, so I think you're all being a little girlish here, no offence. And my dad taught me to keep both hands on the steering wheel and hold hands only in the cinema... :D

Go to any advance driver's training, you'll be told to hold your steering with BOTH hand!:biggrin:

In fact, I find the E90 325i active steering a tad too light at low speed for my liking, compared to my ex-E39 and my MINI Cooper S. Yes, the MINI's steering is even heavier (stock 17 with normal tyres) than the E39 (18")!:eek:

I can confirm that the steering for E90 is heavier than E46 as I have driven both of it.

David Yong;257724 said:
I can confirm that the steering for E90 is heavier than E46 as I have driven both of it.

I can confirm that too. I like the tighter steering cos it's more communicative. I have a 2007 Camry for a company car, a lot lighter but it's a bane to drive cos it's not direct and communicative.

Thought i would post this here, even though i answerd on the other thread for 320 Accelarator, Cause theyre related :

With active steering (325), steering ratio is higher. Therefore, at lower speed, you require less movement, which perhaps leads to a less noticeable feeling of weight.

Without active steering (320), steering ratio being lower, so @ low speeds, the road feel is heavier.

Steering ratio low : more turning @ the steering = less turning @ the wheels

Comments ??

Bimmer910 is right, 320i doesn't come with active steering. Yes it's heavy, owning the car for 2 months, I am already used to it.

Last week I just drove my Jazz for service, now I won't drive my Jazz anymore. I used to love driving it around but now I find that the handling for Jazz is kinda weird. Although I still love the EPS, which will automatically increase the weight of the steering at higher speed.

stevtan;257827 said:
Bimmer910 is right, 320i doesn't come with active steering. Yes it's heavy, owning the car for 2 months, I am already used to it.

Last week I just drove my Jazz for service, now I won't drive my Jazz anymore. I used to love driving it around but now I find that the handling for Jazz is kinda weird. Although I still love the EPS, which will automatically increase the weight of the steering at higher speed.

It's quite coincidental cos E46F is often seen driving around his wifey's Jazz! It aggravates me cos his mileage is so low even though we bought and took delivery of our last 2 BMWs at about the same time!

Top Bottom