e38 730il v8

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
andrewk;717055 said:
I go to Optimum in Kayu Ara. The other place which some E38 kakis here swears by is WP Auto in KL (Cheras i think). I don't have either numbers with me, but a simple search in BMWCM should get you their number.

Good luck and welcome to the tigalapan geng!

Yes, as andrew says it, there is more than 5 or 10 workshops can do it, the best, give a call to ask to meet them and if you are comfortable, go and see them and have a chat, dun give in till you consulted at least 3, which 2 will be the same. then it's matter of pricing and likeness the boss looks at you.

Even, BG, M Garage, Ultimate, German Auto, and some well known ones are all good...

do a search in the forum.

The Nikasil problem
BMW used Nikasil, an Aluminium, Nickel, and Silicon alloy, to line the cylinders of the M60 engines. The cross-hatched Nikasil linings react with high sulfur content found in lower quality gasoline, such as those in parts of the United States. This reaction causes damage to the very top of the bore, where there is the most contact between the combusting fuel and the cylinder lining. The damage prevents a good seal from forming between the piston and the cylinder wall, causing a loss of compression in the combustion chamber. This "leak down" will cause M60's with worn linings will exhibit a rough idle and, if the problem continues unchecked, the engine will not start.
The only permanent fix for this problem is the replacement of the short block with the equivalent block using Alusil linings, which do not exibit this corrosion problem. After the problem was found, BMW issued an extended 6 year, 100,000 mile (160,000 km) warranty to cover these engines at no cost to the owner.
The composition of the engine can be found by checking the serial number stamped into the engine block:
M60B30:
· 1 725 970 - Nikasil
· 1 741 212 - Nikasil
· 1 745 871 - Alusil
M60B40:
· 1 725 963 - Nikasil
· 1 742 998 - Nikasil
· 1 745 872 - Alusil

alive,

there is nothing much that can go wrong with the edc system. I believe what is happening in your case is the short-circuit of the strut solenoid. almost all the e38s including my own had the wires insulation cracked and the wires touches each other. when this happen, the solenoid valves either fully open or fully closed. In your case it will be fully closed and cause stiff ride. On top of that, the rear accumulator must have buggered and filled with hydraulic fluid (the same as the power steering). so power steering is not getting enough fluid ... therefore.. no power lah

most people including titan suspension will tell you that u cant repair and just use normal shocks. i fully disagree with that and i have re-done, re-seal and revalved a E38 and its is working like new. also not to forget, heat shrinked all the cracked wires.

just need a clever machinist to machine out the retaining clip for the top seal (13mm from the ends)and then replace all the seals. The strut will be 13 mm shorter.. and you get a lowered ride with the same comfort.

alantiong;718078 said:
alive,

there is nothing much that can go wrong with the edc system. I believe what is happening in your case is the short-circuit of the strut solenoid. almost all the e38s including my own had the wires insulation cracked and the wires touches each other. when this happen, the solenoid valves either fully open or fully closed. In your case it will be fully closed and cause stiff ride. On top of that, the rear accumulator must have buggered and filled with hydraulic fluid (the same as the power steering). so power steering is not getting enough fluid ... therefore.. no power lah

most people including titan suspension will tell you that u cant repair and just use normal shocks. i fully disagree with that and i have re-done, re-seal and revalved a E38 and its is working like new. also not to forget, heat shrinked all the cracked wires.

just need a clever machinist to machine out the retaining clip for the top seal (13mm from the ends)and then replace all the seals. The strut will be 13 mm shorter.. and you get a lowered ride with the same comfort.

thanks a lot bro.. can u really help me to take a good look at my dad's car, or perhaps introduced me to your mechanic? i'm in manjung, perak, plus no 'good with edc' mechanic here to repair it.. please do contact me at 0134887704.. coz he cant stand the stiffness compared to my e39.. (he said want to throw the e38 into sungai perak:motz:)

Top Bottom