e34_lover's E36 M3 Evo

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
initialM;745838 said:
I thought this E36 ///M3 Evo belong to maxxsp?? Am I missing something here???

Lol, I was never a regular here so my brother created the thread as well as updated it. He never made it clear.....

From now on I will be updating my own thread! :top:

e34_lover;745961 said:
Welcome to come for a ride anytime! Hehehe

Better dont. later he piss on the vader seat coz 3.2 evo manual is damn fast kekeke

Been busy working on my car trying to fix small niggles here and there as well as routine maintenance.

Having some slight idle issues so I removed my intake plenum to get to my idle control valve.

ICV

Dirty ICV

After cleaning

My electrical system has also been giving me some problems with a slight increase in voltage when I accelerate causing lights to go brighter. Removed my alternator to have a look at the voltage regulator.

Found this. As you can see, the brushes have been worn down. Spec is supposed to be minimum of 5mm, mine measures at 4mm. Hope the new regulator will solve the problem.

Will be removing my headers to fix a leak, changing my current KW V2 setup to some new AST's. So much work to come....

Some pics of my AST's with Vorshlag camber plates and Swift springs.

Vorshlag camber plates

Fitted the AST's

Don't have any pics of the front... Must have forgotten to take some

Received a bunch of parts to fix my pedals.

Rubber pedals, new accelerator pedal, throttle cable and new bushings for all of them.

Accelerator pedal out

Didn't really like the M pedals already on the car

What was left of the old bushings. Accelerator pedal felt crap, wasn't smooth.

Because the bushings were worn/missing, the pedal was hitting the metal bracket that it sits in. This is the damage

New bushings

Modified an old clutch pedal bushing so that the new rubbers on the accelerator pedal don't get damaged like they did before

Everything fitted

Accelerator feels tight and smooth now, definitely give these parts a look if your accelerator feels crap.

Brake pedal

New rubber pedal

Old bushing

New ones

Clutch

Bushing removed

AKG delrin bushing

Old vs new bushing

Because the AKG bushings are made to such tight tolerances, they were really hard to fit because they are oversized. Had to remove them a few times with a lot of cursing because the circlips wouldn't go on as it was so tight coupled with lying down on the drivers footwell looking up with limited lighting... Install of only the clutch pedal bushings took about 2 hours. Was the pedal feel worth all the work? I believe so. Clutch feels really good now with absolutely no play at all. No more squeaking! :top:

Whats the damage on those bushings?

On a side note, read on StanceWorks forums a guy in his red E36 wagon did the same upgrade...could not get his pedal assembly back in cuz it was too tight lol

Chrix;756620 said:
Whats the damage on those bushings?

On a side note, read on StanceWorks forums a guy in his red E36 wagon did the same upgrade...could not get his pedal assembly back in cuz it was too tight lol

They cost me $15USD + $6USD for shipping.

Yea, it is pretty tough. I held the bushings on the pedal with a set of tongue and groove pliers to try to squash them a little. That helped me get it on in the end.

Removed my headers to get a leak fixed

Common problem with the flex joint cracking

Will be cleaning up the mating surfaces so I can get a good seal this time. I found that upon removal, there were leaks everywhere due to the nuts not being tightened properly.

how's the car handling with those AST's ?? bet those aren't cheap ..any price lead on that package ?

ICEMAN 13;757313 said:
how's the car handling with those AST's ?? bet those aren't cheap ..any price lead on that package ?

Dont know yet lol, cars still on jackstands for now... :hmpf:

New exhaust gaskets

Decided to go for some torx head exhaust studs so that installation and removal in the future would be easier. The jam-nut method was a little hard at times due to the cramped space I was working in.

New copper exhaust nuts

Header mating surface

I don't really know why there should be any material on the header to cylinder head surface as it is supposed to be a metal on metal seal. Not sure what was put on by the mechanics that have worked on this car.

Heaps of rust on the header to cat connection

Car was running without gaskets when I bought it from the previous owner.

Cylinder head cleaned up

Header mating surface cleaned

The cat connection was rusted badly so I had to sand it down

As you can see, some parts have dimples because of the rust. Decided not to sand it so deep and to leave it that way. New gaskets should seal it up nicely.

New flex joint welded in

Initially, I wanted to get the headers ceramic coated but decided against it. No real reason except for cost and the coating being unnecessary IMO. Bought some high temp manifold paint as well but after wire brushing most of the burnt on dirt, I felt that it would be too troublesome as the paint would probably flake off anyway. I have started to wire brush the headers in the pics but didn't really get any good shots of it

While the headers are out, might as well change the giubo. Had some looseness in the steering and clicking when turning the wheel quickly and knocking when the wheel goes over a bump because of the giubo flexing.

New part is slightly different. Have a feeling it is the same as the E46 M3 part.

Spent a few hours cleaning up the header heatshields and polishing them.

Befores

Afters

Had a feeling my valve cover gasket was leaking

Removed my spark plugs

Found oil on the threads but I am not really sure if its there from a previous repair or if its a new problem. Tips are carbon fouled because the car has been running rich. Culprit would be the header flex joint leaking, header to cylinder head leaking as well as the O2 sensors being old. These leaks cause the O2 sensors to adjust the air fuel mixture because of the excess oxygen. Probably why I am down on power!

New ones were ordered and they weren't cheap....

New valve cover gasket

Not really sure if oil is supposed to be sitting on the gasket surface. Never done a valve cover gasket job before

New spark plug gasket next to the old one

Valve cover bolts washed

Rubber bits removed for stripping

Stripped, ready for some primer

Primer

New rubbers for the valve cover bolts

All done with new rubbers installed. Biggest pain in the butt installing the rubbers. They are such a tight fit....

Top Bottom