E34 Maintainance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

binks

Club Guest
Hie guyz ...just wanna ask about the maintainance or money u have spend on yr E34 ..?cuz i'm in the planning to buy e34 ... (preferable 525i above) ..what comment u guyz have it?come share yr exprience with me ....

Approx. RM7,910 changing engine parts...using Reconditioned and second-hand spare parts and still more changes in the pipeline.

Otherwise, mechanically the E34 is a reliable.

Its much depend wat kinda of condition car that u buy..........If u lucky enuf to get a very well maintain car.......Then not much u need to spend .......But if the car is not well maintain .......Just prepared at least 5K-10K mainly for wear n tear parts........

I owned a E34 for 11/2 years ....spend 20K on it ......The new buyer now is happy wit the car condition........

Good luck.......btw E34 is a great car......

You forgot to mention that most were spent on upgrading the interior, engine upgrade, etc, etc. A newbie would get shock at the RM20k figure....:eek:

In my case, maintenance have been pretty low after the initial spending on addressing the wear and tear parts. I spent about RM10k after my initial purchase... simple instruction to my mech... semua wear and tear parts kena tukar.:D But of course I am spending more now on upgrading....:cool:

Lionel_Koh said:
Its much depend wat kinda of condition car that u buy..........If u lucky enuf to get a very well maintain car.......Then no much u need to spend .......But if the car is not well maintain .......Just prepared at least 5K-10K mainly for wear n tear parts........

I owned a E34 for 11/2 years ....spend 20K on it ......The new buyer now is happy wit the car condition........

Good luck.......btw E34 is a great car......

hmmm for 6 months owning an auto 525 E34... year 1992
just spent arround RM3k++ for normal engine, brake servicing & aircond repairing..
now happy using it except for the fuel consumption.. hehe

Helloo sorry to interrupt..why dont we discuss this over dinner;)

Yup Lionel's car was bought by my friend who is v. happy with the condition.

5-10 sounds a fair figure for a car is "OK" condition.

servicing the m20 engine is quite cheap (few hundred for dist cap, rotors, plugs etc). if you need new shock then abut 1200 for all for is about right, susp arms, stteering rods etc are not very cheap on the e34 (almost same as the 7 as the susp is v. similar) so figure about 150-250 on each supension arm (the front has 2 each side). backs are usually bushes which are quite cheap.

in summary, to :
redo the supension, about 3k
major engine work - fewk,
brakes, about 4-500 per axle for new pads & rotors.
interior - 2+:? for new dashboard, door cards, console etc.
elec, each windor 15-200,
aircon: 2k if the whole systme is REALLY messed up and you need a LOT of new parsts, normally about 500 if one major compenent, needs changing/rebuilding.

bear in mind our Ringgit does not go too far nowadays :( !!, eg a good paint job is alrady 3k! and that what is "useable" to one person is "totally worn out" to another so if you are demanding, expect to pay and pay.

I spent about 15-17K to "upgrade" my car but that was almost a total rebuidl including, new engine & elect, gearbox, tires, 17 BMW oem rims, lowering springs, bilstein, suspension arms, Alpine stereo, tint, touch up paint, etc etc.
anther 5K (new paint, new leather and one or two more smallish items and it would basically be 95% new.

Hmmm .. 525i and above .. .. not many choices ..

Hv spent in excess of 60K already ..and still growing ..
Bill to prove ..

I'm de guy dat bought Lionel's car.

To date, I've spent ONLY RM70... replace 2 bmw roundel. :D

But later, itch to upgrade sooo many things.... :D :D

But, petrol drink like crazy... 1 week at least RM100 - 150 .... siao....:eek:

andrewk said:

Just spend RM70 ...wowwwww.......glad to hear that.......

RM100-150 is depend how far u travel n wat kind of traffic......

I'm pump avg RM200/week....lagi siao....:D

Lionel_Koh said:

Engine tak power + heavy body ... :p

535i said:
Engine tak power + heavy body ... :p

but his car cc is lower and cheaper road tax unless like yours :p

powerful car + heavy body + higher road tax :D

pussy said:
but his car cc is lower and cheaper road tax unless like yours :p

powerful car + heavy body + higher road tax :D

who said - power comes cheap ... :D

by the time u finish ur E30 318 ... i think u wil be spending circa same amt oso what ..
Got ek-jample maaa - there , the E30 M3 'jadi-jadian' ..

Lionel_Koh said:

Ya la.. but you know me la... so used to onli 50buck a week on fuel... now 3 time more....:eek: :eek:

you WILL spend more don't worry!!kek!! kek!!

WHOOH!! petrol at rm100 to 150 a week? ekkk. I aavg about 14ltr/100km and end up spending about 60 per week as I tend not to drive thru. traffic..

andrewk said:

hmm,,,IMHO if you have spent in excess of 60K and growing then something is not right?

You see a 1/2 cut e34 is only about 10-15K. thus even if you replaced the entire car with ALL low mileage comps from a Japanese BMW, AND add in 3k for paint, 3k for leather retrim, 3k for rims, 3 k for labour and anther 3k for misc. you would still have spent about 30K or less.

even with Lionel former e34 and my current e34, with anther eg 10K, the car would be for all means and pursposed completely new (new rubber, paint, carpet etc. and we would still have spent less than 30K total

so.. either your mechanic is fleecing you or you may be gettin your parts at wrong shop...
...or you put in a new turbo v12!! :)

just MHO>
535i said:
Hmmm .. 525i and above .. .. not many choices ..

Hv spent in excess of 60K already ..and still growing ..
Bill to prove ..

525iBoy said:
hmm,,,IMHO if you have spent in excess of 60K and growing then something is not right?

You see a 1/2 cut e34 is only about 10-15K. thus even if you replaced the entire car with ALL low mileage comps from a Japanese BMW, AND add in 3k for paint, 3k for leather retrim, 3k for rims, 3 k for labour and anther 3k for misc. you would still have spent about 30K or less.

even with Lionel former e34 and my current e34, with anther eg 10K, the car would be for all means and pursposed completely new (new rubber, paint, carpet etc. and we would still have spent less than 30K total

so.. either your mechanic is fleecing you or you may be gettin your parts at wrong shop...
...or you put in a new turbo v12!! :)

just MHO>

U dun know what I hv spent on my car. Why do I need a half-cut for ? How abt - 4 set of rims, 3 sets of sport suspension, 4 sets of engine - and all the works sounds to you .. Perhaps, u might want to ask Lionel abt me and my car before making assumptions.

Yeah - 60k and growing - I just ordered a new set of B8 BILSTEIN.

535i said:
U dun know what I hv spent on my car. Why do I need a half-cut for ? How abt - 4 set of rims, 3 sets of sport suspension, 4 sets of engine - and all the works sounds to you .. Perhaps, u might want to ask Lionel abt me and my car before making assumptions.

Yeah - 60k and growing - I just ordered a new set of B8 BILSTEIN.

Ahah...something IS not right... but not with de car... with the owner. 535i, i think you got a common disease amongst motor enthusiast - needtoupgradetitis :D :D

*cabut*

psst... btw, wanna sell some 2nd hand parts ah? I think I'm falling "sick" too ;) :D

..like I said.. you put in something like a "turbo v12!!", anyways we know where to get stuff from now guys!!

then again 60k is not all on your car right, in the eng language when people say they spent 60k it implies that it was to get one car straight, looks like 535i has spent enough to make FOUR good cars.

how does 60k sound to me? to be honest it sound a "little excessive". for 60K + the pp of an e34 you could have sourced an e39 528 which has superior performance.. but to "each man his own" and to some who like modifying the disease of needtoupgradetitis is truely contagious.

Perhaps my England is not powerful enuf to understand what is being said.

Like I said - ask around first before shooting blanks ...

And yes, I was running on Turbo in my E34 before ...
And yes, I am in the midst of doing a V8 conversion in another E34.

There are serious modders and there are modders ... Hv u come across someone who spent 100K on an E30 ? That my fren - is a serious modders.

Stick around in the forum - and you will know who is who ...

Top Bottom