E34 m20/m50

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

-azfar-

Club Guest
Since there isn't any thread specifically on M20/M50 engines, so i opened this thread for people to discuss relating to these engines. hopefully all questions asked will be answered by sifus around :wink:p/s - i forgot to include M60 on the title-_-"

just to be sure, lets say i'm currently on M50B20 and wants to replace it with B25. what are the things that i need to change together to make the engine fully functional? as far as i know are gearbox and ecu settings. what other things did i miss? if i'm not wrong even brakes needs to be replaced for a bigger ones. thanks :smile:

as far as i know, if u hv m50b20 u can transplant the whole m50b25 engine kosong using the same wiring, etc and it works fine. cost less than 3k ;) 2.0L roadtax summore!

that's good to hear. but on the other thread, j was telling me that i need to change my gearbox and touching up the ECU settings as it won't give the true power of the B25 if i don't change them. but i was enquiring on change the block from 2.0 to 2.5 at that time and i guess transplanting the whole engine would be a diff case. haha. wow paying for 2.0L roadtax is really good stuff! can save around 500 bucks yearly man. thanks for the info bro :)

no prob. this info come frm a mechanic of whom u can go direct and get the thing done.

alright bro rizal thanks a lot. anyway are there any ways i could physically check whether my engine is VANOS or non-VANOS? if i'm not wrong the E34 which my mum has is the `93 model but not so sure whether it's VANOS or not.

No worries man. Came across the pictures when I was doing my 'homework' on the E34 and had the same question as you, i.e. how to tell the difference.

there are so many things more i wanna know about the E34. haha. slowly learning them when i have time :smile: and thanks to you i just discovered that my E34 isn't VANOS. all these while i thought it was VANOS. haha.

today i just drove my mum's E34. i was quite shocked that @ 5th Gear 3k RPM, my speed was only 100KMH. is there anything wrong with it? i was driving alone and i doubt there's anything heavy in the car. it's 5 speed manual M50B20 btw.

I get 3400rpm at 110km/h in my m20b20 manual. tat is normal because 2litre is underpower and the final drive is lower than other variant.

tkk, u r definitely using 525 axle! azfar and morpheus, i thnk both of u are on original 520 axles.

mine is the same as tkk. 100kmh abt 2.5k rpm, 110kmh abt 2.7k rpm, 120kmh 3k+ rpm, 240kmh 5k+ rpm (ooppsss!)

tkk;520961 said:
mine is also 2.0cc auto but 100kph is 2500rpm only!!!

U r using 1jz? the auto gearbox gear ratio different from original gearbox ma...and dunno whether u got swap differential not...

if all stock then is weird la...

morpheus5039 - oh okay. i thought there was something wrong with the car. and no doubt 2.0L is too underpowered for it's weight. i can feel the engine is struggling to make the car move. it's like revving up very fast but the speed is just moving up very slow. haha

rizal_E34 - alright thanks bro rizal. damn 240kmh only at 5K RPM? that's really something man. ever pushed more? :biggrin:

hahaha. change the meter la bro :p at least you can see the true potential of your 1jz. haha. before you transplant, how do you find your ride?

Hi rizal_E34,

for 525i auto axles 3000rpm suppose to run 140kph and 520i auto axles is 3000rpm=120kph

Hi morpheus5039,

What todo.. everyone going for 1jz for e34... and i also covert loh... may look for e39/e46 for next upgrade soon

Top Bottom