RON95 test on my E34 M50

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I take everything back. I filled with RON-97, I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the difference.

I have seen the light.

BLaCkHoWLiNG;454568 said:
Ok, here's my colleague's feedback. He's not a motorhead but he's a very 'cent' sensible person...

Car: 2001 Proton Wira 1.5 (automatic)

RON97 : Mileage - 530km for full tank

RON95: Mileage ....... 420km!

Added Comments:
- Car feels like crap, sluggish and unwilling
- At first engine no pinging but when carry passengers, ping / knock like mad...

Verdit:
- went back to Ron97

Tried Ron 95 by

Shell - car very sluggish
BHP - little better pick-up
Petronas - about the same like BHP

next step - back to Ron 97:top:

I frequent my local Mobil because it gave me 380-400km per tank. So, I filled up the tank as usual before price goes up on 8/30. The station change to RON95 label but claimed the fuel are left over RON97.

The redlight comes on today. I only get 313km this tank. :eek:

Going for Caltex 95.

most of us will do a lot of driving this weekend....thats the time to test RON95 with different2 brands. Hope by end of next week, all of us feedback in this thread.

E34M50TUB20.on ron95.slugish.slightly poor mileage return.

Naza Citra 2.0.no diffrence with power.getting +- 20km extra for every Rm 50 fill up compared to pre price hike fillup(ron 97)

Perdana V6.didnt notice any diffrence with power.slightly poor mileage return.

Myvi 1.3 Auto.slightly slugish.no diffrence in mileage return.

all filled up with shell Ron 95.

so worried la dudes ...coz hard to find the previous RON97 anymore in Kelantan la bros......very seldom now....char kue tiauuuu laaaaaaaa

turbology;454773 said:
I frequent my local Mobil because it gave me 380-400km per tank. So, I filled up the tank as usual before price goes up on 8/30. The station change to RON95 label but claimed the fuel are left over RON97.

The redlight comes on today. I only get 313km this tank. :eek:

Going for Caltex 95.

i sure your 'experience is purely emotional and phycological'... kaka :fight::fight::fight:

I have noticed that since I switched to ron 95, I find that I needed to crank the car longer before it starts. Initially I thought it was a problem with the engine itself. I switched back to ron 97 and the problem went away. The car starts up as usual again.

Has anyone elese experienced a similar thing. My engine is a M50TUB20.

The manual says that I can use Ron 91 to 98. Strange that I should have this starting problem

aloha, im newcomer. E34 user. BMW is totally new to me. Im citroeneers. just bought the e34.

Somehow i wanna share somethin with yall relating the topic. If you guys seeking the best brand for best quality, I will suggest 3 brands that are Petronas(primax), Caltex(techron) and BHP(infiniti). Why? because these 3 products gone through quite a process with good refine machine in this country.

Shell refinery complex is an outdated one in Malaysia. Petronas lead in term of technology and processing capacities in Malaysia. You may ask the oil n gas player by yourself. Ask the rite one la, dont ask the kedai kopi one. In the future, Petronas seems investing billions by upgrading and revamping their machines in Melaka refinery to keep holding the championship title.

So dont waste money and time using others than the suggested brands. Use either Primax, Techron or infinity.

my 2 cents sharing .....

Most of the plant set up to process ULG92 and ULG97. They come up with ULG95 by mixing both ULG92 and ULG97 until the octane number become 95. By theory, there will be no problem for the engine designed suitable with ron95. The problem is when your engine deign for ron97 as min requirement and the usage of ron95 will cause a knocking problem.

Theres no point of using ron97 if you engine designed to run well with ron95. It will not effect in any performance but a mere thought that your car get more power byusing a powerful RON. No, thats not a real fact.

But I cant comment much on new BMW engine. Most of new engines designed for performance. More pressure in engines will produce more torque and power. More pressure in engine will need more RON to cater the process. So its logic that modern engine will show more performance when using ron97. Im new with BMW engine. I read from the forum that the BMW engine have some sort of adaptation ability. I dont know how it works but if it so, the theory that ron97 provide more performance and value is logic.

my 2 cents sharing ....

turbosnail;454124 said:
Update on my E34 M50 RON95 test:

Filled her up at the same pump at the same Petronas station:

Amount of RON95: 49.433L
Mileage traveled: 439.1km
Driving condition: Urban
Fuel consumption: 11.26L/100km

Notes:
1. No change in driving habit. Drove as per normal.
2. During the first fill up last week, there was about 10% RON97 left in the fuel tank(as per indicated in fuel indicator).

Hmm...:hmmmm:

Would be interesting to see what's the fuel consumption like after the next fill up since it would be getting purer RON95 in tank(no mix with RON97).

To be continued....

Latest update:

Amount of RON95: 45.550L
Mileage traveled: 401.4km
Fuel consumption: 11.35L/100km

1. A slight increase in fuel consumption.
2. Purer RON95 fill up.
3. No change in driving habit.

To be continued....

Wow, I did not realise that there are so many fuel chemists in this forum ....

Anyway, if your commute is within jammed KL, absoutely no difference. Buy less expensive fuel to give less tax profit to governmment who can't resolve KL traffic problem...

turbosnail;456400 said:
Latest update:

Amount of RON95: 45.550L
Mileage traveled: 401.4km
Fuel consumption: 11.35L/100km

1. A slight increase in fuel consumption.
2. Purer RON95 fill up.

To be continued....

Latest update:

Amount of RON95: 48.327L
Mileage traveled: 419.6km
Fuel consumption: 11.52L/100km

1. A slight increase in fuel consumption again compared to last fill up.
2. Should be 100% RON95 since this is the third fill up.

To be continued....

ag1355;455335 said:
I have noticed that since I switched to ron 95, I find that I needed to crank the car longer before it starts. Initially I thought it was a problem with the engine itself. I switched back to ron 97 and the problem went away. The car starts up as usual again.

Has anyone elese experienced a similar thing. My engine is a M50TUB20.

The manual says that I can use Ron 91 to 98. Strange that I should have this starting problem

yup, i got the same problem too but after some time its ok. once i can start nothin. keep cranking but no fire continues. im using original 12v engine. I believe its about valve adaptation. according to the manual, the car can cater 91-98 but we have to consider that our car drinking ron97 for quite some time.

I think we have to refer to the boy in the bim garage on this matter. I believe its all about computer. Probably, it needs a setting to adapt with the new gasoline. I dont think so the computer cant adapt automatically.

If u have any update, please share.

nerdjack;458597 said:
yup, i got the same problem too but after some time its ok. once i can start nothin. keep cranking but no fire continues. im using original 12v engine. I believe its about valve adaptation. according to the manual, the car can cater 91-98 but we have to consider that our car drinking ron97 for quite some time.

I think we have to refer to the boy in the bim garage on this matter. I believe its all about computer. Probably, it needs a setting to adapt with the new gasoline. I dont think so the computer cant adapt automatically.

If u have any update, please share.

I have m20b20 engine in my E34 as well, i dun have any cranking problem even changing to ron95 from ron97. But I got new fuel filter, new dizzy rotor, new spark plug, changed fuel pump some time ago, maybe when the fuel and ignition system is in good condition, less likely the fuel type we use will contribute to hard crank?

Sometimes when the car is parked on non-level ground, need to crank a few times, but thats irrelevant to the fuel I use...

btw, i thought M20 engine dont have knock sensor, so why would the ecu adapt to the fuel octance accrodingly??

Hi all..
Dunno why fc so high...
If you carefully looked at inside face of your e34 fuel lid, it's mentioned there your car can drink RON91 min. So the engine (the knock sensor) must have been designed to take the fuel. So RON95 should be more than enough bros. Why paying sports engine fuel for your normal engine?

I myself 've been long using RON92 recently. I've even recorded 45litre of consumption from Bangi to Tumpat (>500km) running most at sedate 90~120kmh (normally 130kmh above for my balik kampung). Mine is e34 M50B25TU Auto.

morpheus5039;458630 said:
I have m20b20 engine in my E34 as well, i dun have any cranking problem even changing to ron95 from ron97. But I got new fuel filter, new dizzy rotor, new spark plug, changed fuel pump some time ago, maybe when the fuel and ignition system is in good condition, less likely the fuel type we use will contribute to hard crank?

Sometimes when the car is parked on non-level ground, need to crank a few times, but thats irrelevant to the fuel I use...

btw, i thought M20 engine dont have knock sensor, so why would the ecu adapt to the fuel octance accrodingly??

correction. I dont think so the computer can adapt automatically.

when talk about bmw, I probably cant share the best answer as im new to it but we talk about fuel, I agree with u about effect of changin from ULG97 to ULG95. By theory there should no effect as the manual said that the car can cater a lower octane gasoline as low as ULG91.

I think my cranking probem not due to the fuel matter but I still do not know whats the real matter. Just sharing the problem and sad story with our friend that have the same sickness. Willing to share any good info on y new horse 'BMW'. Im a citroeneers before and still. it seems im enjoying the nice suspension of both BMW and citroen. sorry bla bla bla till out of topic..... hehe

Add a bit..
Frens... E34 is old. 13~21 yrs owl olready. There must be lots of carbon deposits inside the block, pistons and valves. RON IS A MEASURE OF THE ABILITY OF A FUEL TO RESIST KNOCK, OR EARLY FIRING DUE TO COMPRESSION & HEAT. Carbon (arang) itself is flamable. So carbon deposit will help combustion in the block gone beyond control, normally earlier than that of your spark plug. So combines with fuel, it fires itself before your piston reach the top most, where the spark plug is just to fire. When this early fire happens, it would push down the piston that is still suppose to be moving up. This will make you feel jerk from your engine, because it is forced the opposite way while the piston is not yet finished its cycle. This is called KNOCK.

So frens, maybe you could consider a top overhaul, which might cost up to RM1500, or else you have to fork out extra for higher RON fuel with deteriorating effiency every time at petrol station. A computer diagnose with knock sencor faults out would confirm this. So actually, as long as u put in fuel equivalent or higher RON than that of the minimum of what original spec said, u'll get what originally promised.
RON doesn't show flamability or HP. In contrast, by the definition, higher RON might means more difficult to start burning. So how can you get more HP on higher RON fuel?
Why sports car engine need high RON? It's simply because they are of high compression ratio and high rev.

Top Bottom