Driving Habit While Stop On Traffic Lights On Auto Transmission Car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I did read this:- http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/columns/motor-mouth-online/should-you-really-shift-to-neutral-when-stuck-in-traffic

Should you really shift to neutral when stuck in traffic?
By Ferman Lao — 24 Feb 2012 Printer-Friendly Version
Hi, Ferman!
I recently bought a Toyota Vios 1.5 equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission. I have a habit of shifting to neutral during stop-and-go traffic conditions and while waiting for the light to go green.
My question is: will this have a bad effect on my transmission? I feel like leaving the gear set to D during traffic consumes more fuel and might place additional stress on the brakes because it is trying to stop the car constantly. Is this true as well?
I used to drive a Lancer 1.6 equipped with CVT. I never really had a problem with the transmission despite doing the same thing. But I've read that CVT is different from a traditional automatic transmission, which the Vios has. I'm really wondering if this driving habit is good for my car or not.
Thank you very much for reading this letter.
Regards,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,
What you are doing is correct.
Quite a number of drivers, particularly the ones who picked up bad driving habits from other drivers who didn't know any better, often practice improper driving by not shifting to neutral when the car is not moving. While I would like to tell you that there is a good reason (under normal circumstances) for keeping it in D and stepping on the brakes at a stop, I can't. It's mostly born out of laziness and improper training.
As you have correctly surmised, the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.
With automatic transmissions, the engine is energizing or driving the transmission to move in the direction of the gear you've selected--forward or reverse. When you keep it in gear, you are telling your vehicle to move; when you're on the brakes, you're preventing motion. You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel because you're on the brakes to keep the car from inching forward. You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads. By simply shifting to N or neutral there would be no need to apply the brakes with the amount of force required to resist forward motion.
If you notice all of the above result in unnecessary wear, all of which increase the cost of operating and maintaining your vehicle. It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.
While we're on the subject of automatic transmissions, it is also a very bad habit to shift into P or Park when you're at a stoplight. Numerous drivers have adopted the practice as well and, quite frankly, it is also an accident waiting to happen apart from slowing damaging a different part of your transmission, which will eventually lead to the a different sort of automatic transmission failure.
It won't matter if your car has CVT or the conventional multi-speed automatic transmission. Shifting to neutral under most normal conditions is good practice.
Best regards,
Ferman Lao
Tech editor
Do car problems keep you awake at night? Seek solutions from TopGear.com.ph's Motormouth Online. Click here to send your questions.
Tags: automatic transmission, CVT

Driving Habit While Stop On Traffic Lights On Auto Transmission Car

Remain Gear Position On D Or Shift To N

Was wondering to know more on yours driving habit as title mentioned above.

And wants to know from most sifu-sifu here, which is the right way/stye to keep our gear position while stop at traffic lights.

Let us list down what is your stye:

Remained on D position:-

1)covert
2)lazzydogg
3)sharizat
4)sen5241
5)splee
6)anaksarawak
7)robert.74

Shift to N position:-

1) Alex5522
2) tIANcI
3) Alby325i
4) Psykit
5) mokhtar818
6) seewai
7) Petrus
8) Kimi
9) yapkjm
10) huskar
11) JFT63
12) gendong

Alex5522;810123 said:
I did read this:- http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/columns/motor-mouth-online/should-you-really-shift-to-neutral-when-stuck-in-traffic

Should you really shift to neutral when stuck in traffic?
By Ferman Lao — 24 Feb 2012 Printer-Friendly Version
Hi, Ferman!
I recently bought a Toyota Vios 1.5 equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission. I have a habit of shifting to neutral during stop-and-go traffic conditions and while waiting for the light to go green.
My question is: will this have a bad effect on my transmission? I feel like leaving the gear set to D during traffic consumes more fuel and might place additional stress on the brakes because it is trying to stop the car constantly. Is this true as well?
I used to drive a Lancer 1.6 equipped with CVT. I never really had a problem with the transmission despite doing the same thing. But I've read that CVT is different from a traditional automatic transmission, which the Vios has. I'm really wondering if this driving habit is good for my car or not.
Thank you very much for reading this letter.
Regards,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,
What you are doing is correct.
Quite a number of drivers, particularly the ones who picked up bad driving habits from other drivers who didn't know any better, often practice improper driving by not shifting to neutral when the car is not moving. While I would like to tell you that there is a good reason (under normal circumstances) for keeping it in D and stepping on the brakes at a stop, I can't. It's mostly born out of laziness and improper training.
As you have correctly surmised, the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.
With automatic transmissions, the engine is energizing or driving the transmission to move in the direction of the gear you've selected--forward or reverse. When you keep it in gear, you are telling your vehicle to move; when you're on the brakes, you're preventing motion. You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel because you're on the brakes to keep the car from inching forward. You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads. By simply shifting to N or neutral there would be no need to apply the brakes with the amount of force required to resist forward motion.
If you notice all of the above result in unnecessary wear, all of which increase the cost of operating and maintaining your vehicle. It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.
While we're on the subject of automatic transmissions, it is also a very bad habit to shift into P or Park when you're at a stoplight. Numerous drivers have adopted the practice as well and, quite frankly, it is also an accident waiting to happen apart from slowing damaging a different part of your transmission, which will eventually lead to the a different sort of automatic transmission failure.
It won't matter if your car has CVT or the conventional multi-speed automatic transmission. Shifting to neutral under most normal conditions is good practice.
Best regards,
Ferman Lao
Tech editor
Do car problems keep you awake at night? Seek solutions from TopGear.com.ph's Motormouth Online. Click here to send your questions.
Tags: automatic transmission, CVT

Curious.... why would it do damage if you put to P instead of N? anyone care to enlighten me?

I'll be on D and the brakes,unless if it's a long wait. The mechanics of a good quality car should be able to withstand normal driving habits of ordinary users.

your definition of "long wait" is very subjective. the N position is used for reasons clearly given by ferman lao. the fact of the matter is, the ATF temperature will go up if you hold in D with brakes on. yes we can say its already designed for normal driving condition but the ATF design operating temperature range is anything from 88 deg to 105 deg C. so you decide if you want to stay nearer to the lower limit or nearer to the upper limit bearing in mind that the temperature is the one which shortens the gbox life.

having said that, frequent shifting of that lever also creates higher mechanical wear on the auto trans contact switch. no point in listing down the groups as in the end, YOU decide what is good considering all points.

:listen: .... ever wonder why the manufacturer design to hv the "N" in the system? :4: .... definitly not for cosmectics. :4: ...

you will basically need N when doing maintenance work on the gearbox ie filling ATF to the required level as this has to be done with engine on, ATF pump working (on pass-thru mode) but no gears engaged.

other than that, N comes into play when the vehicle needs to be towed with rear wheels moving freely.

P on the other hand is about the same (oil pump on pass-thru mode) but it has a mechanical pawl engagement to lock the output shaft.

tropos_net;810579 said:
you will basically need N when doing maintenance work on the gearbox ie filling ATF to the required level as this has to be done with engine on, ATF pump working (on pass-thru mode) but no gears engaged.

other than that, N comes into play when the vehicle needs to be towed with rear wheels moving freely.

P on the other hand is about the same (oil pump on pass-thru mode) but it has a mechanical pawl engagement to lock the output shaft.
i tried with my e39 before, shut down the engine with at N position. the key couldn't be pulled out. so double parking is not an option. i wonder if other bmws behave the same.

Agreed. Also it is advisable to be in N if one is on a long stand still .. btw where towing our UDM is concern, best try not to. Get a flat-bed but I do get your point though :4....

tropos_net;810579 said:

I really wonder why u guys will said putting D and kick the brake is a good practice at traffic light. This action is similar to manual transmission engage the gear and let half clutch and press gas pedal. At the end clutch burned. Auto transmission is using oil pump to pump auto fluid to make the transmission works. Engage to D and kick the brake not let move is increase the load to the oil pump. And this situation will burn the warn the clutch due to engine is turning and gearbox is stop. Beside this u also warn the brake as well.

Engage to D and not let the car move:
1. Brake warns
2. Auto gear clutch warns
3. Auto gear oil pump warns.

Extra:
Shift to D, if suddenly car behind hit u from behind then what will happened ? Or u accidentally leave the brake ? Answer is u might risking ur life.

In all my years of driving, I always have it on "N" when I'm at traffic lights unless I know the lights are about to go green then I will keep it at "D" with brakes for a while. Other than that, it's always "N" :)

Once i get into my Car i switch on the Auto Hold beside the Hand Break...so even when i make a Full stop in Traffic i can just take off my foot on the Break and the Car still remains on "D" position but wont move, if i want to move i just need to continue by pressing the Gas Pedal...:top:

good point here hehehe...
for me always back to N at traffic light stop...
unless while slowing down due the light is still red then suddenly back to green P all the way...
by going to N during stopping at traffic light will let the torque converter some time to rest and at the same time reduce the ATF pressure...
during N at traffic light need only a light press on the brake pedal just to make sure the car is not moving...
but in D we need to press the brake pedal harder so as to make the car fully stop...
by doing this...ATF pressure will increase so the temp and also will shorten the life of the brake pad (dust at the front wheel )...my 5cents:top:

Top Bottom