Build Your Own E30

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Equalizer

Club Guest
Guys - this is one of those arbitrary "HAVE FUN!!" threads. In the space of less than 8000 words, what would you do if you had an E30 that has been sitting idle??(1) sell it and take whatever pocket change you can get for it.(2) throw some money at it - new engine, new paint, new cabin, new wheels etc.If your answer is (1), you are probably in my wife's camp ..... If however you choose (2), what would be your choice of engine and gearbox etc and how much money would you throw at it??Start with a blank sheet of paper ..... and let the games begin!! :yahoo:

have to write essay one ah.... ?????
for me, it's how much passion u have for the car.....

I think even I would be able to exceed 8,000 words. OK, why not, I have more time now.

depends on what your needs are n how much money you have to play with. if you've got a limited budget, then you could either save up more n go the whole shebang or start collecting pieces until you're ready to put it together..
if you've got more money then sense to throw at it - then you could do the same route as loneranger or alvin..haha..

i would go for the original BMW standard. :)

But besides original bmw, there are others too... my wish list would include

1) original e30 318i specs (bottlecaps)
2) ACS S3
3) Alpina C2.7
4) E30 M3 Evo stock
5) E30 station wagon with mtech II bodykit and BBS Rim
6) E30 325iS stock (2 door)
7) E30 318iS stock
8) E30 325i Cab with Mtech II bodykit

As you can see above, I need MORE THAN 1 E30 to play with... so how ?? hahaha...

I need 8 E30(s)... :lol:

like wkwoo said, 8K words is not a problem. hehehehhee

elwine..u seriously are a true blue e30 enthusiast man...not many like you around that love the look of stock cars...hehe...but then again most of the models u mention have some sort of kit anywayz..hehe..

hartge h27s

-hartge 2.7 engine with valve cover of course!
-hartge steering wheel H35
-hartge bodykit h35
-hartge h35 rear wing
-hartge meter 260kmph!!!
-hartge -ahem*dogleg gearbox
-hartge -ahem*sidemirrors folding in
-hartge sports seats
-hartge wheels - damn hard to find

hmmm, this setup sound familiar.........

Did someone mentioned my name? All I can say is i luv driving my E30 now. Damn shiok when cruising along & then just floor it to hear the engine & all the throttles working together. Thats why i went with an exhaust system that is as quiet as possible.

Dude
tell me your budget & then we can sit down quietly somewhere! he heh ehhe

Hahaha!!! Thanks to everyone - you guys are real gems!! :D I am looking forward to all the thousands of words .....

Fabian sifu - the fact that I am keeping a 20 year-old car and now planning to put even more money into it is a show of passion, huh?? Let's see how much passion I can be capable of ..... depending on how much you guys can racun me-eh??? Hahaha!!

Alvin - I really dun have a budget in mind but when I first bought my car back in 1997, I had paid RM30k for it and spent another RM18k to do it up. Most of that money went into a half-cut with 2.7eta engine and autobox, paint job and complete cabin works including carpet ..... of course, in those days I think there was no BMW Club yet and hence I did not even realise I was buying an eta engine!!

Right now, the car is immobile - it would not start and I really dun have the time to fiddle with it ..... I spend too much time away but that's gonna change real soon - I have a new job and hopefully that will mean I get to spend more time in KL and hence I am now itching to get my e30 up and running again :rolleyes:

I like the 2.8 engine in the e36 - I dunno the code number but it is the 1995-1998 model, like WKWoo's ..... I am unsure whether this can be made to fit into an e30 but I guess if you, Alvin, managed to shoehorn that monster 3.0L engine of yours in, what's a 2.8L eh??? WKWoo will remember me because I was really keen on his car until my wife stopped me - she knew I would just buy that car and leave it unused too!!

Bottomline I guess is this - because we are starting with a blank sheet of paper, we should try to look for "the most bang for the buck", huh?? So this thread is that blank sheet of paper for all you sifus ..... so keep 'em coming, guys!!

Teh tarik on me when I get to meet you all - and that will be soon!!

Originally posted by Equalizer@May 25 2005, 10:47 PM
Hahaha!!! Thanks to everyone - you guys are real gems!! :D I am looking forward to all the thousands of words .....

Fabian sifu - the fact that I am keeping a 20 year-old car and now planning to put even more money into it is a show of passion, huh?? Let's see how much passion I can be capable of ..... depending on how much you guys can racun me-eh??? Hahaha!!

Alvin - I really dun have a budget in mind but when I first bought my car back in 1997, I had paid RM30k for it and spent another RM18k to do it up. Most of that money went into a half-cut with 2.7eta engine and autobox, paint job and complete cabin works including carpet ..... of course, in those days I think there was no BMW Club yet and hence I did not even realise I was buying an eta engine!!

Right now, the car is immobile - it would not start and I really dun have the time to fiddle with it ..... I spend too much time away but that's gonna change real soon - I have a new job and hopefully that will mean I get to spend more time in KL and hence I am now itching to get my e30 up and running again :rolleyes:

I like the 2.8 engine in the e36 - I dunno the code number but it is the 1995-1998 model, like WKWoo's ..... I am unsure whether this can be made to fit into an e30 but I guess if you, Alvin, managed to shoehorn that monster 3.0L engine of yours in, what's a 2.8L eh??? WKWoo will remember me because I was really keen on his car until my wife stopped me - she knew I would just buy that car and leave it unused too!!

Bottomline I guess is this - because we are starting with a blank sheet of paper, we should try to look for "the most bang for the buck", huh?? So this thread is that blank sheet of paper for all you sifus ..... so keep 'em coming, guys!!

Teh tarik on me when I get to meet you all - and that will be soon!!
since you already have the eta block, its easier to do up the 2.7i route

with tweaking here and there and mods, you can achieve 210bhp and about 197 lb ft of torque, for the power to weight ratio this is gonna be a mean machine, but if you going the transplant route, there's the M50 2.5/2.8, the S50/S52......M30 3.5/3.8....S38 ...the engine list can go on

suspension....another thesis here

interior.....another thesis here

body work......you guess it right

having said all of that, its basically boils down to what you wanna achieve from your car, because it comes you and your family using it rather then others, sure you'll get uhhh-ahhh-oohhh looks and admiration, but i'm more a practical person, so i take step by step, after all upgrading is basically what the E30 is all about, you look forward to make it better, look better, feel better.......

to be continued.......

Originally posted by teejay@May 25 2005, 11:53 PM
since you already have the eta block, its easier to do up the 2.7i route
Teejay - I like what you are saying about the 2.7L route ..... I have heard that the block works well with a change of head - is this what you have in mind as well? What about the engine management system?? It would be great if I can keep the block. Do tell me more .....

I would like to create something that is driveable - the current engine gives very good torque (as long as it starts!!) and I kinda like it ..... it won't be a family car but merely a lowcost source of thrill for me - I am reaching middle age and it is THAT point in my life ..... :blush: I will be the only one in the family who will drive it.

Bodykits are not my cup of tea - sorry, guys!! I like understated but efficient and driveable power ..... right now I am riding on BBS 15" basketweaves and I will keep these.

Do tell me more about the 2.7??? Thanks, pal ..... ;)

I do feel that owning an E30 is all about passion. Maintaining it is just like having your own personal project that is timeless of course. We replace the old parts at the same time upgrade where we can and do some mods as and when the $$ permits. No one E30 is alike don't you think so? I'd rather do it gradually as it gives a different kind of sensation all together. On the mods, we all have our own idea as we all have our own driving preference. some like it zippy and some like it zapp and it goes on and on... Its all up to our own liking i guess...

anyway my preference will be :-

1. Engine - b27 is fine enough for mie :D
2. Replace all rubber mount & bushing
3. Weld the flooring and firewall
4. Wiring system
5. A pair of 17 wheels would look great
6. Interior - leather seats and carpet
7. ICE - would be sweet
8. Exterior - Mtec2 bodykit & a good paintjob
9. Other mods as and when needed

How about that? :)

Originally posted by teejay@May 25 2005, 03:03 AM
hartge h27s

-hartge 2.7 engine with valve cover of course!
-hartge steering wheel H35
-hartge bodykit h35
-hartge h35 rear wing
-hartge meter 260kmph!!!
-hartge -ahem*dogleg gearbox
-hartge -ahem*sidemirrors folding in
-hartge sports seats
-hartge wheels - damn hard to find

hmmm, this setup sound familiar.........
u r the man!

Top Bottom