BMW E36 Features You Don’t Know About...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

infinityKL

Club Guest
Hi Guys,I’ve found a thread on the bimmer forums talking about the features that some of us don’t even know they exist in their cars. So, I thought it would be cool to share them with you and see if you already knew about all these or not. So, let’s start:-1. Speed Sensitive Volume (Harmon Kardon Audio System). 2. Speed Sensitive Wipers:- In the rain, the wipers will change their speed according to the car speed. The 3 settings for the wipers speed are:- a. Intermittent:- Wipers go intermittently at speeds above 3 mph (about) and do not work at all when stopped. b. Speed one:- Wipers go slowly at speeds above 3 mph (about) and go intermittently when stopped. c. Speed two:- Wipers go fast at speeds above 3 mph (about) and slowly when stopped.3. Closing All Windows and Sunroof By Holding Key in the Lock Position. (Didn’t work on my BMW E36 1993 318is though. I think it’s a 94+ feature). Take a look at this BMW E36 M3 Review and Info.4. Gas Door Closes with Central Lock.5. Heated Windshield Nozzles (Winter Package).6. Heated Door Locks (Winter Package).7. Tilt Steering Wheel. Anyone got this?8. Cupholder/Central Console is pre-wired for the ashtray light.9. Secret OBC Functions.10. Heated Mirrors.11. The BC Button On The Signal Selector. Just click your signal stick towards the steering wheel column. You can switch the OBC functions this way.12. After you park the car you can switch on the parking lights on one side of the car only. To do this, just switch the car off and push the indicator stalk all the way up or down (it’s quite stiff). The right or the left parking light will turn on.So, what do you think? Did you know about all these features? be HONEST :listen: http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2008/06/17/bmw-e36-features-you-dont-know-about/BMW E36 Blog: The ultimate BMW E36 M3 information source.http://www.bmwe36blog.com/

thanks for the sharing,some of them i just founf out from ur post!

sachseelan;334844 said:
Hi Guys,

I’ve found a thread on the bimmer forums talking about the features that some of us don’t even know they exist in their cars. So, I thought it would be cool to share them with you and see if you already knew about all these or not. So, let’s start:-

1. Speed Sensitive Volume (Harmon Kardon Audio System).
2. Speed Sensitive Wipers:- In the rain, the wipers will change their speed according to the car speed. The 3 settings for the wipers speed are:-
a. Intermittent:- Wipers go intermittently at speeds above 3 mph (about) and do not work at all when stopped.
b. Speed one:- Wipers go slowly at speeds above 3 mph (about) and go intermittently when stopped.
c. Speed two:- Wipers go fast at speeds above 3 mph (about) and slowly when stopped.
3. Closing All Windows and Sunroof By Holding Key in the Lock Position. (Didn’t work on my BMW E36 1993 318is though. I think it’s a 94+ feature). Take a look at this BMW E36 M3 Review and Info.
4. Gas Door Closes with Central Lock.
5. Heated Windshield Nozzles (Winter Package).
6. Heated Door Locks (Winter Package).
7. Tilt Steering Wheel. Anyone got this?
8. Cupholder/Central Console is pre-wired for the ashtray light.
9. Secret OBC Functions.
10. Heated Mirrors.
11. The BC Button On The Signal Selector. Just click your signal stick towards the steering wheel column. You can switch the OBC functions this way.
12. After you park the car you can switch on the parking lights on one side of the car only. To do this, just switch the car off and push the indicator stalk all the way up or down (it’s quite stiff). The right or the left parking light will turn on.

So, what do you think? Did you know about all these features? be HONEST :listen:

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2008/06/17/bmw-e36-features-you-dont-know-about/

BMW E36 Blog: The ultimate BMW E36 M3 information source.

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/

Thanks for sharing.

#1 - don't know as I don't have the Harmon Kardon
#2 - Yes I know it's there. Same with my E34 & E32. Probably it's a standard feature for BMW
#3 - Yes it works with my E32. Again I think it's a standard feature unless we have had some work done on the central locking system.
#4 - Standard feature, central locking will lock the fuel flap
#5 - Don't know if there is a heater but the water jets are always hot as the water in the container is already heated by the hot engine
#6 - Don't know about this. Probably availabe in cold countries only
#7 - Tilt steering yes available on my E36 328i. It works wonderfully.
#8 - Yes it's wired and lighted
#9 - Only works with Digital AC
#10 - Not sure
#11 - Does not work with my E36 but it works on my E32
#12 - This is standard feature of all BMW I think.

#10. Heated Mirrors. - Yes the side mirrors are heated. Just touch the side mirrors.

#12. After you park the car you can switch on the parking lights on one side of the car only. To do this, just switch the car off and push the indicator stalk all the way up or down (it’s quite stiff). The right or the left parking light will turn on. - Didn't know this. Will try.

Thanks.

sachseelan;334844 said:
3. Closing All Windows and Sunroof By Holding Key in the Lock Position. way.

It works the opposite too. Hold the key in the UNLOCK position for more than a second or 2 and all windows (and sunroof if you have it factory fitted) will open simultaneously. Great to release trapped heat when the car has been in the hot sun for a while.

3er;335020 said:
It works the opposite too. Hold the key in the UNLOCK position for more than a second or 2 and all windows (and sunroof if you have it factory fitted) will open simultaneously. Great to release trapped heat when the car has been in the hot sun for a while.

Haven't tried any of this yet. But my windows will automatically shut if they're left opened when I lock the car without holding on to the button.

loafer;335051 said:
Haven't tried any of this yet. But my windows will automatically shut if they're left opened when I lock the car without holding on to the button.

Yeah, this feature comes standard. But some of us would have disconnected the sensor as we would like to leave the window slighty opened during hot days when we arm the alarm :)

my side mirrors is only heated on the passenger one but not the driver one

anyone has heated driver side mirror?

heng1028;335697 said:

It should be heated for both but in this country its permanently hot thanks to our tropical mother nature anyway. So it really doesnt serve much purpose unlike living in colder climate countries.

I tried feature #12 but could not get the parking light to work on my E36. Sure this is the way to do it?

Crymson;336206 said:
I tried feature #12 but could not get the parking light to work on my E36. Sure this is the way to do it?

It does work. Tried it before on my previous E36. Its a standard feature in all E36 (CKD or CBU). You have to push higher/lower than the standard click stop for your signal/indicator.

heng1028;335697 said:

for some reason, im having the exact same problem.... must b some loose connection...

3er;335837 said:
It should be heated for both but in this country its permanently hot thanks to our tropical mother nature anyway. So it really doesnt serve much purpose unlike living in colder climate countries.

agree, but it does serve another function which i quite like: after rain, it doesn't leave the water stain mark. hence a clearer view.. i could tell the diff as only 1 is working on mine...

cheers...

3er;336435 said:
It does work. Tried it before on my previous E36. Its a standard feature in all E36 (CKD or CBU). You have to push higher/lower than the standard click stop for your signal/indicator.

Woohooo... thanks. I manage to get the parking lights to work. :top:

BMW E36 Digital Climate Control . . . Secret Test Functions

The BMW E36 digital climate control unit has a feature that allows different sensor values to be displayed on the control panel. The display mode is called up by pressing the "AUTO" and "REAR DEFOGGER" buttons simultaneously. 12 displays are available and you can toggle through them by pressing the fan rocker switch.

Test number Function

Test 1 Interior Temp Sensor

Test 2 Exterior Temp sensor

Test 3 Left Heater Core Sensor

Test 4 Right Heater Core Sensor

Test 5 Evaporator Temp Sensor

Test 6 Engine Speed Input

Test 7 Road Speed Input

Test 8 "Y" Factor Value . . . Anyone knows what is this?

Test 9 Fresh Air Flap Position in % (99.5% Max.)

Test 10 AUC Sensor Voltage (if equipped)

Test 11 Battery Voltage

Test 12 Software Version

The sensor display functions are exited by pressing "RECIRC" and "AUTO" buttons simultaneously and also by turning the ignition off. The decimal point is not shown therefore 66.5% would show as 665 All temp displays are in degrees centigrade. Negative values are indicated with minus sign...

BMW E36 Blog: cheers...:top:

BMW On Board Computer (OBD) secrets!

Hi Friends,

I’m really excited about this new article and I think you will be excited too. I have found an article which describes the secrets hidden inside BMW E36 on board computer (OBC). It’s really fascinating me that the Germans in 1993 or so were having such things. All I can say is WOW!. OK, enough talking about the Germans, so Mr. OBC here turned to be not as simple as I really thought at first. It has many information that is hidden and can be displayed with tiny effort. I’m almost sure that you’re going to love the article below. I just wanted to say that you should make sure to try the Instrument Panel Tests. It’s really cool to watch your car checking itself.

Note: I did try almost all what’s written in here and it’s working great.

Disclaimer: Use this info at your own risk!! I’m not responsible for your mistakes man!

There are many interesting functions available on the E36 OBC (On Board Computer) that are not documented in the owner’s manual, including changing the language of the display. The procedures described here work on my ‘97 328iC, which has the upgraded OBC - they may work on other models of similar vintage.

Contents:

Programming the Display Order

Accessing Data

Unlock the Display

Test Codes

Setting the Country Code

Instrument Panel Tests

Programming the OBC to Display Contents in a Desired Order:

When you repeatedly press in on the turn signal stalk, the OBC display cycles through the various information types that it has in memory. The default sequence is: CONSUM1, CONSUM2, EXT. TEMP, SPEED, LIMIT, DIST and TIMER. If you want to change the display order, use the following procedure:
Press-in and hold the turn stalk for about 5 seconds. The OBC display will change to Prog 1. Press the button corresponding to the first function you would like to have displayed in the sequence. For example, if you would like the outside temperature to be displayed first, press the TEMP button. The display will then change to Prog2. Continue pressing the OBC buttons in the order you want, up through nine entries. You don’t have to enter all nine - if you would like the display to cycle only between TEMP and RANGE, simply enter those two items as Prog 1 and Prog 2. When finished, press the SET/RES button to store the sequence in memory.

To revert to the default order, simply press SET/RES as soon as Prog 1 is displayed.

Accessing Data in the OBC:

The OBC contains a lot of data, and displays the data in a manner determined by the country code that is stored in it. The technique to access this data is as follows:
Press the 1000 and 10 keys simultaneously. You should see Test-Nr.: appear in the display.
The table below lists the available test codes that are available. Enter a test code number, using the number keys, followed by the SET/RES key. However, to access codes other than 1, 10, 14, 19, and 21,
you have to first unlock the OBC, using the procedure described below.
Read the results.
For test numbers 10 and 11, enter a new value (if desired) and press SET/RES.
Return to the normal display functions by pressing CHECK or any other key.

Unlock the Display:

Most of the test sequences require you to first unlock the display before. Enter test code 19 using the above procedure. The display should read LOCK:ON. Then enter an unlocking code consisting of the sum of the current month plus date (for example, if today is July 11, enter 18). Then press SET/RES, and the OBC is now unlocked.

Test Codes:

Following is a listing of the available tests, along with with my notes as to what I think each test means. Note that the display uses European conventions for decimals (i.e., the number 61,7 is 61.7f or us Americans). You will see that I don’t have good explanations for several of these test codes ...

Test Code No.
Display
Notes
Display Must Be Unlocked First?

All LED display elements are lit
Verify that the display is working properly
No

VBR: n,n l/100km
n,n = instantaneous fuel usage in liters/100 km
Yes

VBR: n,n l/h
n,n = instantaneous fuel usage in liters per hour
Yes

RW-VBR: n,n l/100
n,n = average fuel usage in liter/100 km.
Yes

RW: nnn km
nnn = range in km
Yes

Not used
Yes

TMTL: nn,n l
nn,n = fuel remaining (in liters)
Yes

V: n km/h
n = instantaneous speed in km/h
Yes

UB: nn,nn V
nn,nn = system voltage (should be
around 13,80)
Yes

LAND: n xxx *
Country code — for US drivers
should be set to 2 USA — see description below
No

EINHEIT n: xx *
?? There are two EINHEIT displays: the values for xx in EINHEIT 1 can range between B0 and BF, and for EINHEIT 2 range between 0F and FF (mine is set to B3 and FF, respectively). Press the 1000 or 100 key to switch between EINHEIT 1 and EINHEIT 2.
Yes

VANK nn km/h
nn = average speed
Yes

ANK: nn:nn
nn:nn = ETA (will display
–:– if the OBC’s distance function is not in use)
Yes

ROM: dd.mm.yy
dd.mm.yyyy = Software version date. Mine is 25.06.1991
No

DIAG: nn nn nnn xx
Diagnosis code? Mine is 01 05 255 FA
Yes

PORT: nn nnnnnnnn
Port codes? Press 1000
or 100 key to cycle port numbers. For example, PORT 01 is 10101000
Yes

PROM: nn nn
?? Mine reads 00 12
Yes

HORN: xxxx
DTON or DTOFF?
(Single tone horn versus dual tone)
Yes

LOCK: xx
xx = ON or OFF.
See description above for method.
No

KVBR: nnnn
nnnn = Fuel rate calibration factor. Mine is set to 1000
Yes

RESET?
Reset all defect codes? Also erases all stored values in the OBC (i.e, fuel consumption, avg. speed, timer, etc) and clock.
Yes

Note: #20 The factor is used to correct the OBC Avg Fuel Consumption figure to reality. If your OBC is off a bit, fill it UP totally and then run the tank down and refill. Then calculate your Actual MPG. Now enter test #20 get the old Correction Factor. NEW CF = OLD CF *(Actual MPG/OBC MPG)

Setting the Country Code:

If your OBC suddenly starts displaying every thing in German, and you would like to put it back to English, use test sequence number 10. Once you’re into test number 10, press the 1 key several times, and you’ll see the display cycle through various country options. For example, 0 is for Germany (the display reads LAND:0 D * - I assume D stands for Deutschland). As you cycle through the options, you’ll see choices for the Great Britain, USA, France, Canada, etc. Once the display is on the country you want, press the SET/RES key to store your choice into memory — for US drivers the display should be set to LAND: 2 USA * . Then press the CHECK key, and the display will reflect the units of the country you’ve chosen.

Instrument Panel Tests:

With the engine off, press and hold the trip mileage reset button, and then turn the key to accessory position 2 (OBC and radio come on). The LED display on the instrument panel (which normally is the odometer) will change to tESt01 and then will begin to cycle through several displays. Release the button. The display will continue to cycle through several displays. Here’s the data my car displays:

Display
Display Sequence
Notes

BMW Part No.

Code No.?

K No.?

nnnnn

Last 5 digits of VIN

Software Version

Revision Index Hardware No.

Finally, all LED elements will light, and all gauges will cycle once.
You can press the mileage-reset button again to access more tests. Tests 2 through4 are always unlocked and hence available. Tests 5 through 14 are normally locked — to access these you must first unlock the display-using test 15.Otherwise the display simply shows: ——–.

Display
Test Sequence
Notes

n
Engine type: n = 2 for 4-cylinder engine, 3 for 6-cylinder, and 4 for 8-cylinder

nnnnnn
km traveled since last oil service reset.

nnnn
Age of car, in days

For tests 5 - 13, display must first be unlocked using sequence 15.

n
SI evaluation factor: n = 0 or 1 (over-rev), t= 0 or 1 (engine temp over heat)

Fuel level and coolant temp. Displays hexadec codes relating to gauge position:

Fuel Gauge Hex value:
A (empty) —-> 0d
End of Reserve —-> 37
B ——> 54
C ——–> 90
D ———> c4
E (full) ——> f0

Engine Temp Hex value:
A ——-> ce
B ——–> 6d
C ——–> 5c
D (center) ——> 4f-23
E ——–> 1e
F ———> 18

Current engine RPM

Current road speed in km/h

nnnnnn A
Distance - used to compare odometer mileage in the EPROM vs. the coding plug. If the two values don’t agree (for example, if one of these elements was replaced), the manipulation dot will illuminate. This function will synchronize the two readings to the highest value. Press and hold the reset button for 4 seconds, and the lower mileage reading will be overwritten by the higher, and the manipulation dot is cancelled.

bbbbbb
Status bits - input signal (0=low
or 1= high):
1: seat belt: fastened =0
2: ignition lock: key inserted=0
3: door contact: door open = 0
4: clock button pressed = 0
5: SI reset = 0
6: EGS transmission failure = 0

bbbbbb
Status bits - output signals:
1: Gond output
2: Brake warning lamp
3: Low fuel warning lamp
4: EGA lamp
5: Seat belt lamp
6: manipulation dot

——
Not used

nn
Country code of cluster (USA = 02)

Software reset

L On/Off
Lock Status (on or off). Press and hold the reset button for about five seconds until the display reads "OFF". Now you can access test sequences 5 through 14.

Wait for more from . . . BMW E36 Blog

Best regards,

Tony Sticks.:top:

for more detailed info : http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/03/31/bmw-on-board-computer-obd-secrets/

Top Bottom