ATF change for 325i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

magpie

Club Guest
Hi All Sifus,

I think is almost time for me to change the ATF for my ride. It is clocking 54k now. I ask Ingress to quote me the following. Is it that expensive? should i change mine with them or is there any recommended workshop outside? I am staying in puchong area. Please advice. Thanks

1 bottle of 4L ATF = RM 320 (2 bottles needed) = RM 640
Labour = RM 200

Total = RM840

Is that all that they are going to change? The oil pan not included?

There are other places that I know some of the members here have changed, they bought the parts from Bavarian Auto the stockist and changed it at Sunway.

Hi Mavik,

thats all the the service person tell me. He didnt mentioned anything about oil pan. May I know what is the name of the workshop in Sunway? or if you have the the contact number? then maybe i can contact that workshop. Thanks

magpie said:
Hi Mavik,

thats all the the service person tell me. He didnt mentioned anything about oil pan. May I know what is the name of the workshop in Sunway? or if you have the the contact number? then maybe i can contact that workshop. Thanks
The diesel boys did their change at Jack's place at Sunway (016-6603181), No 23, Jalan PJS 11/7 while I did mine at Aylezo Motorsports (Contact Andre 012-8600785). I changed mine using FUCHS ATS oil.

I paid only RM350 for ATF change (ZF Lifeguard6) at 50k km (labor included). If I were to change the oil pan/filter as well, it's gonna be another RM300 more.

Mavik said:
The diesel boys did their change at Jack's place at Sunway (016-6603181), No 23, Jalan PJS 11/7 while I did mine at Aylezo Motorsports (Contact Andre 012-8600785). I changed mine using FUCHS ATS oil.
Hi Mavik,

Thanks or the info... I shall give Jack a call.

wingzee said:
I paid only RM350 for ATF change (ZF Lifeguard6) at 50k km (labor included). If I were to change the oil pan/filter as well, it's gonna be another RM300 more.
Hi wingzee,

Thanks for the info, may i know which workshop did you change your ATF? Thanks

It is safer to use back zf oil and replace the oil filter which is the pan... there are also some procedure to be followed when changing ATF... there will be one more item to change will be the socket seal..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Poor change of atf will result in gearbox issue... gb is very costly

bmwjackiee36 said:
It is safer to use back zf oil and replace the oil filter which is the pan... there are also some procedure to be followed when changing ATF... there will be one more item to change will be the socket seal..

ZF gearbox better to use zf ATF fluid. Those on GM gearbox not sure if it's ideal change. Any one knows?

After ATF change, you need to reset gearbox adaptation values and also tell it you have new ATF fluid so it can adjust accordingly,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canuck78 said:
ZF gearbox better to use zf ATF fluid. Those on GM gearbox not sure if it's ideal change. Any one knows?

After ATF change, you need to reset gearbox adaptation values and also tell it you have new ATF fluid so it can adjust accordingly,

Is there a way to check if i am having a ZF or GM Gearbox?

magpie said:
WS with auto logic or if you know someone that can plug in car OBD to read.

Stockist that can read your chassis # should be able to tell what gearbox you are using.

But this may not apply across the board, heresay PFL E9x using ZF gearbox, LCI bmw change to GM gearbox.

canuck78 said:
WS with auto logic or if you know someone that can plug in car OBD to read.

Stockist that can read your chassis # should be able to tell what gearbox you are using.

But this may not apply across the board, heresay PFL E9x using ZF gearbox, LCI bmw change to GM gearbox.

Thanks for the information canuck78

magpie said:
Check your VIN number against the database at RealOem.

FYI my 2011 E90 320d uses the ZF gearbox but I opted for an aftermarket oil purely because I track my car so I needed something a little bit better that can withstand the heat (my gearbox went into limp mode a couple of times when it overheated)

Mavik said:
Check your VIN number against the database at RealOem.

FYI my 2011 E90 320d uses the ZF gearbox but I opted for an aftermarket oil purely because I track my car so I needed something a little bit better that can withstand the heat (my gearbox went into limp mode a couple of times when it overheated)
Thanks for the info.I did call Jack and he will help me to check what type of GB i am using.

Now i am in a dilemma. When over to AB yesterday. They were reluctant to quote me the price for the change as they say according to BMW the oil is for life. They say with the new oil the GB may not adapt it and causes problem. So what they are saying is, if i dont have any problem here then dont touch it.....To be frank i dont track my car and hardly go above 150kmph as well. Just most of time caught in KL rush hour traffic.

Did some quick research last night in the internet and i have some equal response on whether to change or not. So anyone here didnt change their ATF at all?

magpie said:
Thanks for the info.I did call Jack and he will help me to check what type of GB i am using.

Now i am in a dilemma. When over to AB yesterday. They were reluctant to quote me the price for the change as they say according to BMW the oil is for life. They say with the new oil the GB may not adapt it and causes problem. So what they are saying is, if i dont have any problem here then dont touch it.....To be frank i dont track my car and hardly go above 150kmph as well. Just most of time caught in KL rush hour traffic.

Did some quick research last night in the internet and i have some equal response on whether to change or not. So anyone here didnt change their ATF at all?
Yup the official answer from AB would be that. Try being friends with the actual service mechanic and get his second opinion. I used to think the same way hence why I only changed my ATF oil at 75,000km which is after BSRI and my warranty period. The moment I saw the oil that came out of the GB oil, the mechanic ask what in the world was I doing not changing the ATF oil. It was completely black and just a little shy of metal shavings in there.

Mine uses the GA6HP19Z gearbox based on the search on RealOem
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/forum/the-bmw-range/-3-series/e90-e91-e92-e93/44267-e90-transmission-oil-change/page2

If you review here in the these documents, ZF themselves recommend that you change the oil every 80,000km to 120,000km.
http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/brands_3/service_information/sitematrix~1/transmission/cars_4/englisch_3/modelluebergreifend_1/ZP_SI_Oelwechselkit_EN.pdf

Mavik said:
Yup the official answer from AB would be that. Try being friends with the actual service mechanic and get his second opinion. I used to think the same way hence why I only changed my ATF oil at 75,000km which is after BSRI and my warranty period. The moment I saw the oil that came out of the GB oil, the mechanic ask what in the world was I doing not changing the ATF oil. It was completely black and just a little shy of metal shavings in there.

Mine uses the GA6HP19Z gearbox based on the search on RealOem
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/forum/the-bmw-range/-3-series/e90-e91-e92-e93/44267-e90-transmission-oil-change/page2

If you review here in the these documents, ZF themselves recommend that you change the oil every 80,000km to 120,000km.
http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/brands_3/service_information/sitematrix~1/transmission/cars_4/englisch_3/modelluebergreifend_1/ZP_SI_Oelwechselkit_EN.pdf
Thanks for the link, by the way do i need to wait for the BSRI to end only i can change the ATF? if yes then it will be like another 2 years to go.

magpie said:
Thanks for the link, by the way do i need to wait for the BSRI to end only i can change the ATF? if yes then it will be like another 2 years to go.
Personally I would have done it before the BSRI ended and I know a few who did but again it depends on your personal preference. Based on what you say, since you don't drive your car a lot or hard, then perhaps just sticking to the BSRI standard is good enough.

Mavik said:
Personally I would have done it before the BSRI ended and I know a few who did but again it depends on your personal preference. Based on what you say, since you don't drive your car a lot or hard, then perhaps just sticking to the BSRI standard is good enough.
let me just ask the SA then. if it doesnt void the BSRI i will change it then. Thanks Mavik!!

Hi all sifus,

Any idea where i find the VIN number huh? i try to look at the windscreen, absorber mounting, the door B pillar and all dont have that VIN number.

Your insurance policy has your VIN number. On the car, it should be engraved on your driver side absorber mounting tower. You only need the last 7 digit to search for your car particular online. Bear in mind that the info you see from the website is not entirely accurate.

To know what gearbox u using, best check the bottom of your gearbox. If it is plastic black color, then it is the ZF box. GM uses metal sump. Our car ground clearence is low.. But u can just stick your hand inside to snap some photos with your handphone to see if it has the plastic pan like in the photos in the following website.. refer next post..

Top Bottom