Aircond produces funny smell in the morning

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bo_Greene

Banned
Hi guys,Has anyone ever faced this problem before? My aircond is producing a funny 'masam' smell when I first on my aircond in the morning. The smell however, vanishes once the aircond has run for 5-10 min and doesn't occur again until I park my car over night. Need some advise on this issue. Thanx.

maybe moisture at your filter...but i'm not sure. No harm to check the filter i believed.

the smell of bmw in the morning...haha...i got it too..but gotten used to it...

morning breath of the car.....

try taking out your filter to check. if its all black, then u might want to replace it with a new one.

What about the overal aircond smell.. last time (ponders back ) it use to smell like LV + donno what smell from aircond... then after a while get used to it ... but a friend came in the car and said that maybe aircond need to service as it is the smell of A/C

goshhh.....im having the same issue
its smell "masam" when aircond started...but gone after a while.
i just clean my k&n drop in filter last week...so thinkin that the smell was not come from the air filter...
anyone have facing same issue here...pls advise.

This is 'standard' on all E90's I think. Something to do with the design that traps water. BMW recommends that u run the heater for around 5 - 10 mins to dry out the coils and the smell will disappear for a while. If it reoccurs, repeat again. Nothing much we can do about it and BMW will does not consider this a design defect... Had my AC cleaned for the SC twice already. Tahan la for a while then the smell comes back. Now I do the heating routine. If not under warranty, the cost to do the cleaning and disinfecting is around 200 bucks.

Sometimes it's due to refrigerant gas leaking or it cud even be the filter needs cleaning....

Go to youtube and look for "Air-con Smelling Bad" posted by leonloke and check it out. :)

ahmz;660379 said:
This is 'standard' on all E90's I think. Something to do with the design that traps water. BMW recommends that u run the heater for around 5 - 10 mins to dry out the coils and the smell will disappear for a while. If it reoccurs, repeat again. Nothing much we can do about it and BMW will does not consider this a design defect... Had my AC cleaned for the SC twice already. Tahan la for a while then the smell comes back. Now I do the heating routine. If not under warranty, the cost to do the cleaning and disinfecting is around 200 bucks.

e90 were quite new...also got this issue...
is it somethings to do with coil....? mine had by pass the heater system.anything related to this..?

Bro ,
Just to share... i think yr cooling coil leak. The method to check either there is a leak or not is switch the key to position 2 and blower started to blow. then put yr nose close to aircond outlet. if smell masam sure there is leak somewhere under the dashboard. or u check aircond water drip underside yr car. If seems oily then stnby yr pocket....

btw..wana ask..isit normal if water drips underneath driver's left foot rest while taking hard corner after long journey....coz mine is...

from my experience it is the start of the cooling coil leaking....
then after that when turned on there will be some sound or hissing sound....
then after that.... HOT AIR ....

Top Bottom