6-cycl VS 4-cycl

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by fabianyee@Aug 18 2005, 08:16 PM
isn't the TVR a V8???? Pushrod technology?
:) ever heard of the TVR Sagaris? SpeedSix? well,these cars are powered by TVR's own in-house developed inline 6.
AFAIK its an aluminium inline6 with DOHC 24v..406bhp@7000rpm and 473nm@5000rpm.all done in-house by a cottage industry level outfit.
impressive ain't it?

Put it this way, in summary

4 pots = appreciation of the brand

6 pots = appreciation of the technology + what the real BMW motoring is about.

Handling? Nah, bores down to the driver at the end of the day. Frankly, I think this 50:50 balance is a lot of marketing bull......50:50 sure? With full tank? Half tank? or empty tank? Typical German male at 100KGs or Asian counterpart at 60KGs?

BMW has always catered to two different groups of customers hence the entry level 4 potters for appreciation of the brand (frankly, it has become more of a branded good than a real Good good in recent years. You hear women (no offence. Men alike too) saying I love a BMW but but but do they actually drive it? You may end up owning one but driving one and really driving one is another story all together.

One might say that the E30 M3 is a 4 potter...but then again...what happenned to the E36, E46 and the soon to be V8 E90? Mana ada 4 potter. No offence to 4 pot owners, just my opinion on what the brand has become.

You really need to upgrade to a 6 potter sometime to appreciate BMW motoring. Btw, I too am driving a 4 potter nowadays. The 6 potter will come again real soon :).

So far, i've concluded for myself that i should learn to control and maximise my 4 potter first b4 jumpin to 6pots. What's "real motoring" if i can't handle simple motoring.

this debate is a no-ender even in the international forums..
In the R3V forum, it's between the E30 325i and the E30 318is...

As for the later incarnations of BMW, the overall weight increased and the 4 pots definitely is punitive for the bigger and heavier chassis...

At the end of the day, it's what the driver wants out of the car and engine.... both has its merits and demerits...

As for me and the M42, it's good enuf for daily mundane drive and for occasional spirited runs and track days... a bit down on the low end torque, that's the only thing against it...

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@Aug 19 2005, 02:33 AM
Bigger engine = more torque.... I love torque.

I like your twin cam Fabs. :)
:blush: and i like yours too... :blush:

IIMHO to a large extent people end up with 4 pot or 6 pot due to MONEY issues.... 4 pot vs 6 pot debate becomes almost irrelevant at the end of the day.... MONEY TALKS.

BUt this is where the word 'balance' is applied ..... its in the context of - what do you get for your money?

Say in the case of M40/42 vs M20B20 scenario, it would be = a pretty competent engine which matches the 6 pot in most ways and still wins in terms of overall running costs. This does not hold true when the 4 pots are compared to the higher range e.g. M20B25 but certainly true when pitted against the lower range M20B20-M20B23. Conclusion - maybe better off buying the 4 pot unless you have moolah for the M20B25.

I cant speak for the the M50s and its 4 pot cousins of the same era since I dont run one myself - IMHO I dun think the 4 pots have much of a chance given the heavier body they have to carry. But for all intents and purposes they are still very good engines providing more than enough power and doing most jobs reasonably well.

Originally posted by wirelessjunkie@Aug 19 2005, 07:54 AM
Wah...love triangle
Melodrama in the making.... :rofl: :rofl: starring Fab, WJ and Zog. :yahoo:

Originally posted by Jipster@Aug 19 2005, 08:37 AM
Say in the case of M40/42 vs M20B20 scenario, it would be = a pretty competent engine which matches the 6 pot in most ways and still wins in terms of overall running costs.This does not hold true when the 4 pots are compared to the higher range e.g. M20B25 but certainly true when pitted against the lower range M20B20-M20B23.
Jipster,

All I can seriously recommend to you know is to loose your auto box on your M20B20 then you will re-consider your postings here.

Just an additional tip - please read Total BMW Issue 56, July 2005, on the mod they did for the B20 with a throttle body swap & chip, and less m40s will have the chance to hassle you...145bhp claimed. Article claims ur car chocked...for insurance power limiting reasons.

But yes, loose ur auto box first - before u think of any other mod, plugs, lites...! u dunno what ur missing, man!

the 4-pot valvetronics are not that bad too. I think BMW knows the debate between 4-pot and 6-pot and tries to bridge the gap between the two with the introduction of the valvetronics. Plus, it provides good power and good fuel consumption too especially in the "harga minyak naik" era.

Fab, WJ, Zog, go find a room la.. geli eeeeee

A little off but good piece of info...

Once upon a time, BMW was primarily known for its spunky bulletproof 4 potters, notably the single cam M10 they produced over 23 years from 1962-1985. In fact, BMW's corporate HQ in Munich is housed in what to be called the Four-Cylinder Building due to its design.

As they gained content and grew larger, heavier and more expensive 6 cylinder engines became common. BMW then nixed 4 potters altogether in 1999, owing to buyer squeamishness about paying so much moolah for
4 pot cars. By then, BMW was already famous for its silky smooth 6 potters.

6 potter motivation is becoming increasingly suspect, especially in the US market where competition comes mainly from V8s so maybe we'll soon see more V8-powered UDMs running around. It's all one big evolution process.

If $$$ is not the issue, if you were to buy a brand new BMW today, would you buy:

1) E90 320i
2) E90 325i

I think that answers your question on which is more desired. Current BMW 4 pots were never meant to be on par with the 6 pot offering. Just the "economical" choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom