6-cycl VS 4-cycl

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by fabianyee@Aug 17 2005, 05:50 PM
4 pot vs 6 pot... that would depend on what one look for in a car and what's ur driving style...
I think I have to add to Fab's already valid comments.

Some of you talk about the 4 pot being more balanced than a 6 pot etc etc. I am not sure if you say this based on your real driving or your READING experience.

Pardon me for being a bit ignorant but can I say that most normal driving folks like me, will never push a car so much till u feel it being unbalanced - EVEN ON THE TRACK during our trackdays.....

Balanced? what is that? In a road car, if you brake and the rear snaps out like my No.19, then whoooaaahhh, something's BROKEN in the car and not cos of the heavier ( marginally ) lump up front. Or maybe the driver needs some re-education.....

I can say this now - at my low driving skills and speed, the M20 is stable. ( balanced...if u have to use this word ) A MCS we followed was seen more unstable but driver in control!..........

If u drive like a loony, any car will snap and bite....so pls dun quote me okay if u crash ur M20,M40,M42

Summarising :
If your name is Han Stuck or the likes, who are the top 5% of drivers - then they are entitled to say "Das auto ist teufelich UNBALLANCED" but surely he will say that for some breakneck speeds.

I am at the low 5% and that's where an easier car to drive matters esp on real roads & speed limits....torque talks and you know which one I will choose, at least in the driving side of things....I still wish for more cylinders mind u....a V & a eight.... :wink:

Last words - a car has a higher limit than you, dun doubt that for once!

Originally posted by flash@Aug 18 2005, 10:37 AM
For those traffic jam conditions like driving in KL during peak hours :angry: .... 4-pot or less.

It would be ideal if we can engines that can turn off certain cylinders during periods of low-peak demand.
For those traffic jam conditions like driving in KL during peak hours :angry: .... 4-pot or less.

how you know???

It would be ideal if we can engines that can turn off certain cylinders during periods of low-peak demand.

how you wish!!! :rofl:

Hahaha...cool it guys. You fellas are killing me. Ok, here's the deal. Each one only can choose one weapon.

a) Good ole 'pek yau' rusty Parang
B) One bottle Sulfuric Acid
c) ONe Bicycle Chain
d) Baseball Bat
e) Fork & Knife
f) Tennis Racquet
:nyehehe:

Originally posted by Daredevil@Aug 18 2005, 12:34 PM
Hahaha...cool it guys. You fellas are killing me. Ok, here's the deal. Each one only can choose one weapon.

c) ONe Bicycle Chain
d) Baseball Bat
e) Fork & Knife
f) Tennis Racquet
no bombs allowed? .... sigh

6 pot for sure if in an E30. No proble with weight if you ask me as the M50 is only 50kgs more than the M42.
lets take an E30 for example.

If the BMw can design with a m20 (6pot) than i guess there is no argumant of balance issue. M50 plus Trans is really quite similar to the M20 plus trans.
If want to talk about balance especially when you push to the limit then first thing you should do is to relocate the battery to the rear.

I have the 6 pot in my E30 & now that the suspension is tuned i do not see any problem with balance. Of course i have aluminum arms & battery is at the rear.

Like Jules said, balance is never an issue unless you are in the WTCC or formula 1. :D

Balance?

Tried corner balancing your car yet? With you, the driver in it? Do you drive with nothing in the boot? Recalibrate the shocks/springs everytime you have a passenger or lose/gain weight? What fuel load are you running now, NOW when you are pushing it? What's your tire wear now?

So many factors... but the most important is when you put your foot down, how fast you go forward...

Necc,

precisely cos 99% of us dun bother so when ppl here claim the 4 pot got better balance over the 6pot....ya-rite!

pls dun ask the balance for my no.19, cos I drive it by the scruff its neck...Alvin & BM5 are my witnesses. some more my battery is at SIDE.....so how? :)

I think this balance issue is akin to one of my favorite saying, "small tissue but is the biggest issue". :D

A car that is moving is a dynamic object. There are other variables. What if the car is balance with one driver, but subsequently you have passengers in the rear? Or you decide to load some stuff in the rear compartment? Or as necc pointed, the fuel load! I am saying this in context of the car as a daily driving car as none of our cars are qualified to be term as track cars and that being said, none of us go the track that often anyways.

Originally posted by flash@Aug 18 2005, 10:37 AM

There was one. (Little known fact). The MB S600 V12. It shut down one bank of (6) cylinders when it detected stop and go traffic in the city.

My opinion - both well designed 4 potters and 6 potters are good engines and serve their purpose well.

I simply like the 6 cylinder more because of it's smooth and different behaviour at higher revs.. its sounds and feels more 'solid'. 4 pots at high revs are rough...

So if given a choice.. I'd go for 6 potters but nothing against 4 potters.. in fact I suspect my next car will be a sensible 4 cylinder saloon !!!

Originally posted by Daredevil@Aug 18 2005, 12:34 PM

c) ONe Bicycle Chain
d) Baseball Bat
e) Fork & Knife
f) Tennis Racquet
aiya DD.. you forgot my two flower pots in the boot..

c) ONe Bicycle Chain
d) Baseball Bat
e) Fork & Knife
f) Tennis Racquet
g) flower pots :p

throw these flower pots to the 6pots :D

okay. enuf talking kok...

my humble opinion.. the 6pots are nice to drive, very driver feel and control over so much power..

the 4pot, well from a 6pot to a 4pot owner.. very good, responsive over 3000rpm and a real screamer..

balance ? not bad.. on highways can full trottle away on the sweeping curves..

my input..

:p anyone ever experienced TVR's 4.0 inline 6??? 400bhp of thumping muscle!! not to forget the RB26DETT..but that's turbo'd so no fair..
my fav still the McLaren's V12,nothing comes close..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom