320d engine noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dcmy

Club Guest
I heard for my friend (previous AB sales advisor), he say that the 320d engine sound will become much more noisy after 2-3 year due to the diesel quality in Malaysia. Is it true? Thanks

Nobody's car is 2-3 years old yet. How can we possibly know for sure?
Malaysia's Euro 2M diesel is not even 2 years old yet today so no car has used it for 2 years. Again how can you know for sure?

It's elementary. Be it petrol or diesel engines, noise will increase with age. Belts, valve tappets, bearings and other wear and tear components. Even now, the diesel clatter is obvious and announces it's arrival the moment the engine is started. However, the real test is inside the cabin and this is the area where the bmw shines. once the car is at normal operating temperature, the 'noise' is simply a faint chatter at idle speeds but totally negligible at 1k+ rpm and above.
Once u depress the accelerator, the noise is substituted by pure unadulterated driving joy.
My friend claims that using bhp petrol reduces the engine noise but hv yet to try this since I m on caltex so far.
U can further reduce cabin noise with after market sound proofing around the wheel arches and inside bonnet if u wish.

kuntakinte;626232 said:
It's elementary. Be it petrol or diesel engines, noise will increase with age. Belts, valve tappets, bearings and other wear and tear components. Even now, the diesel clatter is obvious and announces it's arrival the moment the engine is started. However, the real test is inside the cabin and this is the area where the bmw shines. once the car is at normal operating temperature, the 'noise' is simply a faint chatter at idle speeds but totally negligible at 1k+ rpm and above.
Once u depress the accelerator, the noise is substituted by pure unadulterated driving joy.
My friend claims that using bhp petrol reduces the engine noise but hv yet to try this since I m on caltex so far.
U can further reduce cabin noise with after market sound proofing around the wheel arches and inside bonnet if u wish.

Thanks for the reply, may i know where can i get the after market sound proofing?:top:

for my previous rides, I have tried KK Lau audio in PJ - they use dynamat extreme, which is rather heavy.
You can also try Desmond of KL Auto at Jln Ipoh. He has some light materials by 3M etc but dont get conned by his Autofoam yabba dabba. It's expensive and totally useless as a sound proofing solution. The tighter handling con job of autofoam is also suspect. Stick with old fashion stuff. He has a decibel meter, take a ride with him and he will use it to check where the sound is originating most. Work on those areas.
I have not done it for my 320d yet as I am ok with faint clatter so far.

gameover;626199 said:
Nobody's car is 2-3 years old yet. How can we possibly know for sure?
Malaysia's Euro 2M diesel is not even 2 years old yet today so no car has used it for 2 years. Again how can you know for sure?

haha...yes...didnt thought of it...just heard for my friend...kinda worry...now i am confident with my ride !! thanks!

kuntakinte;626260 said:
for my previous rides, I have tried KK Lau audio in PJ - they use dynamat extreme, which is rather heavy.
You can also try Desmond of KL Auto at Jln Ipoh. He has some light materials by 3M etc but dont get conned by his Autofoam yabba dabba. It's expensive and totally useless as a sound proofing solution. The tighter handling con job of autofoam is also suspect. Stick with old fashion stuff. He has a decibel meter, take a ride with him and he will use it to check where the sound is originating most. Work on those areas.
I have not done it for my 320d yet as I am ok with faint clatter so far.

Thanks for the info! will check with KL Auto soon!

i find the sound of the 320D to be rather sexy, soothing, and comforting.... in that order...

JediM;626347 said:
i find the sound of the 320D to be rather sexy, soothing, and comforting.... in that order...

Is it sound like jazz music ? haha

No... it is a musical style all of it's own... perhaps the insulation in the 320D could be thinner to better enjoy the sounds from the engine... a little more driver feedback for this Ultimate Driving Machine....

The turbine whirl of the 320d engine, one UK motoring journalist said, is very addictive! Actually the problem with the 320d is that the engine's too quiet. It's a quiet performer, almost as quiet as an electric car. It's like a submarine, runs silent , runs deep. Like Mark Zuckerberg working hard at his Fcebook codes into the depths of the night....then bang!..he's a billionaire.You guys did the right thing...the 320d...the prized treasure, your most coveted motoring possesion.....!

docrayboy;626843 said:
The turbine whirl of the 320d engine, one UK motoring journalist said, is very addictive! Actually the problem with the 320d is that the engine's too quiet. It's a quiet performer, almost as quiet as an electric car. It's like a submarine, runs silent , runs deep. Like Mark Zuckerberg working hard at his Fcebook codes into the depths of the night....then bang!..he's a billionaire.You guys did the right thing...the 320d...the prized treasure, your most coveted motoring possesion.....!

That's a good one lol It's a performer that i can attest to but quiet it is definitely not! :p

B33mEr;626850 said:
That's a good one lol It's a performer that i can attest to but quiet it is definitely not! :p

From the inside when its on the move, its quiet in the sense that you dont hear the revs of the engine....which actually is NOT a good thing...but you do get the addictive turbine whirl in lieu which IS a good thing.

All turbos (and superchargers) have that whine. Love it. I'll be joining that rank someday soon.... :)

Took a test drive today (yet again!) and i didnt hear the turbo whine. In fact i hardly hear the turbo whine in all the 320d ive tested so far. So strange....

3er;627491 said:
Took a test drive today (yet again!) and i didnt hear the turbo whine. In fact i hardly hear the turbo whine in all the 320d ive tested so far. So strange....

Its there lah when u really tekan the accelerator.....

You know what doc, I've been listening out for it, and it just isn't there in my vehicle. The effects of the turbocharger are very real, but the whine just isn't discernible. It was there in my GTI, Subaru, and even Landcruiser 80 series turbo-diesel, but but but....

JediM;627571 said:
You know what doc, I've been listening out for it, and it just isn't there in my vehicle. The effects of the turbocharger are very real, but the whine just isn't discernible. It was there in my GTI, Subaru, and even Landcruiser 80 series turbo-diesel, but but but....

Its a soft low pitch whirl....not very obvious......that's the real problem with the 320d - its definitely NOT noisy like everybody always hantam us...we wished there was MORE noise, especially when we hit the high speeds/revs....but its a quiet performer. sometimes boring...until the tail comes out....oppps baby, DTC save me!!!!

Top Bottom