2006 E90 325i Burn by Fire

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Yup, there was this lawyer who helped the lady owner of the satria to claim back a new car. Should search for him to help you.

Last time burning a Satria NEO u get GTI, now u get Perdana if not mistaken. And the latest SAGA too I heard got burnt.. dunno what they give now.. :rolleyes:

astroboy;340787 said:
Last time burning a Satria NEO u get GTI, now u get Perdana if not mistaken. And the latest SAGA too I heard got burnt.. dunno what they give now.. :rolleyes:

an autographed perdana by Najib?

At the risk of this becoming an "explosive" topic, let's do try to get back on track so things don't get "blown" out of proportion... :D

Can ah? :)

Just came across this update.. Looks like the burn rate on E90's are more common that we realize. Same case, always burns while being parked. Strange indeed. Also the 3 cases, involve totaly different engines. So possibly an electrical design fault or fuel delivery design. Based on burn damage, it all originates from the engine bay. Who knows.

E93 M3 cabrio - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286866
attachment.php

E93 335i cabrio - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285308&highlight=fire
attachment.php

I am very very sorry about the loss if the car. There are many people like Shwepps and Astro who have offered you some very useful advice. At the end of the day, someone has to be held accountable for this very serious issue. All suggestions have merit. And while it may seem like jumping the proverbial gun, to see a lawyer, it might be a good idea to consult one anyway, to investigate various avenues of redress. It might also be useful and efficient to actually pay someone to do the worrying for you; and a lawyer would give you slightly more accurate explanations in a legal sense.

totoro;472218 said:
CKD bmw sigh !!! i heard its not up to quality

Its affects both CKD and CBU. The E93s in the pics are LHD US cars. Since its all the same symptom (burns while being parked for a while), I suspect its a defect. Problem is even 2008 M3 is affected, meaning BMW hasn't found the root cause and rectified it as of 2008.

The fiber fender totally gone, the aluminum hood melted... interesting.. Cabin in the 2nd Coupe still looks "occupiable".. :eek: That's 2 different cars..

the first photo, aluminium hood melted, but rubber tyre still intact? how?

haywire;472298 said:
the first photo, aluminium hood melted, but rubber tyre still intact? how?

Even front plastic kidney grills are intact. Evidence fire started right under the hood and burned upwards. There is a theory that lit ciggy butts are sucked into the intake, and starts burning the paper intake element, which eventually spreads out through the entire engine bay out. The first pic, the fire seem localized near the air filter element area and spread outwards. Just a theory tho. But still kinda strange it happens when the car is parked and engine off in all cases. Has to be some reason for this.

Spontaneous car fires are quite common, and being a luxury car doesn't exempt one from catching fire. Most car fires are caused by electrical overload igniting any one of the several flammable liquids on board. Besides the obvious risk that fuel poses, batteries are also very flammable because of the hydrogen gas inside. Filter elements are also flammable, but the theory of ciggy butts sucked into the intake is unlikely. A more likely cause of element fire is blowback from the engine.

Using aftermarket products can be a major electrical hazard. Aftermarket means anything not designed/specified/made by the vehicle manufacturer. Most aftermarkets are not fused or grounded, and short circuits can happen quite easily. For eg, I would avoid using any aftermarket appliance that uses the cigarette lighter for power.

My bet is that the cars in the photos had aftermarket performance enhancers or appliances or ICE amplifiers and such electronic goodies installed. And that installation was poorly done and a resulting short circuit risk was always there. Finding the cheapest install is not necessarily a good idea.

Hope it never happens to any of us!

E46Fanatic;472404 said:
Even front plastic kidney grills are intact. Evidence fire started right under the hood and burned upwards. There is a theory that lit ciggy butts are sucked into the intake, and starts burning the paper intake element, which eventually spreads out through the entire engine bay out. The first pic, the fire seem localized near the air filter element area and spread outwards. Just a theory tho. But still kinda strange it happens when the car is parked and engine off in all cases. Has to be some reason for this.

your assumption makes me think of the 3rd party Intake Air Scoop which extends to the middle part of kidney grills that sucks in the cig butt into the paper filter element..

Top Bottom