Xenon light not bright

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Lancelot Adolph

Club Guest
Hi Forummers:My 525i is not as bright as it should be (worst than normal halogen lamp brightness); consulted my workshop, they ask me to change the entire head light which costs 1k+Any suggestion or alternatives?

both lights or just only a single light.

check your ballast for loose connection.

If it is only one side, suggest that you swap the left bulb to right bulb and vice versa. see whether it will brighter on the other side. it is does, change the xenon bulb.

Are you sure it is the bulb. Xenon bulb either work or dont work.

Suggest that you remove the bulb from the headlight and check the light intensity.

Note: be careful not to touch any live part of the cable and the xenon bulb. Do it when
the light are OFF. Place the bulb on a insulated material. Turn on the light and see how bright it is. If it bright, then the lenses reflector is dirty.

Sorry.. no idea on the cost of the xenon bulb.

Lancelot Adolph;340311 said:
Hi Jarance,

Both lights are not bright.

Any idea how much it costs to change the Xenon Bulb?
Bro, check yr battery voltage, sometime may cause by low voltage

Checked the battery, it's good... really running out of ideas;

The workshop says I have to replace the entire head lamp units... which costs near to 2k per pair.

Have you try swapping your ballast with another car?

In addition, have you check whether the mirror reflector is coated with dust. They tends to get dirty over time.

if battery voltage is OK then it should be the ballast liau as it is not able to step up the voltage to the required level to achieve the brightness required...the xenon/HID bulb normally either works or dont works and the intensity depends on the HV output from the ballast...

i'm not sure if the e60 has the ballast repair kit or you have to change the entire light cluster...but to be sure it is the problem ask ur mechanic to swap another light cluster to confirm his diagnostic...

Top Bottom