X5 Parts and Maintenance Cost

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
BrianJ;735408 said:
Hey thanks 525i, this ebay unit seems like a really good buy at that price! Further they provide lifetime warranty!
But too bad i couldn't wait as 1 of the bags failed suddenly and decided to send it in immediately.

I wonder if they have for the front as well. I wouldn't mind getting the front and change as well before it fails on me.

Thanks again

I'll post later on my expense of the replacement here.

Cheers

Hi Brian J

How much did you end up paying to change the air springs? I just received my Arnott rear air springs to standby. USD199 plus USD60 shipping. A pair. No tax. Lucky.

525i;748236 said:
Hi Brian J

How much did you end up paying to change the air springs? I just received my Arnott rear air springs to standby. USD199 plus USD60 shipping. A pair. No tax. Lucky.

Apologies 525i, I just saw your post, been traveling lately too much. :)

Congrats on the arrival of your Arnott's rear, they are warranted for lifetime right?

Well it costed rm2130.00 for the pair here and less than rm 200.00 for labour.

I know I could have saved alot more from eBay, probably need to order the front units and keep for now.

Well today my a/c compressor decided to retire and at the same time the driver's door handle must have broken the internal leverage as I can't open the driver's door from outside.

Well it's one of those days of the 'Joy' of BM ownership. .. hahaha.

BrianJ;750640 said:
Apologies 525i, I just saw your post, been traveling lately too much. :)

Congrats on the arrival of your Arnott's rear, they are warranted for lifetime right?

Well it costed rm2130.00 for the pair here and less than rm 200.00 for labour.

I know I could have saved alot more from eBay, probably need to order the front units and keep for now.

Well today my a/c compressor decided to retire and at the same time the driver's door handle must have broken the internal leverage as I can't open the driver's door from outside.

Well it's one of those days of the 'Joy' of BM ownership. .. hahaha.

Wow! Over 2k for the rear air springs. I think the front ones will be even more expensive as it comes with the absorbers. Arnott will be able to help you save on this. As for your door not being able to open from outside, welcome to the club. Got mine changed for RM480.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here. Planning to get an X5 E53 in a couple of months. Been driving/maintaining European cars for a while but this will be my first ever Bimmer, I need advices from all the sifus here.

1) What is the best budget if I were to replace all the wear and tear items in order to ensure that a 2003 X5 E53 with mileage about 100k will drive trouble free for the next one to five years?

2) Been doing some readings it seems that the air spring bags will need replacement every 100k. The door handle will eventually fails. What about the radiator, radiator fans, auto transmissions, steering rack and air cond blower? At what mileage do these items normally will fail? What is the cost to replace them?

3) What is the annual road tax for a 3.0 X5?

Cheers :)

First of all my friend, kindly introduce yourself in the Newbie section so that we have an idea who you are, where you are from, what you drive etc...

Depending on the condition of the X5 you buy, you should allocate about 10-20k to standby for wear and tear parts, fluid changes, touch ups, etc.. You don't have to change everything at once but it will be inevitable. Since I bought mine 3 months ago I have spent 15k all in to elevate it to the current condition. This includes 2.8k for new media player, 3k for detailing, 1k for roof lining, mats. So it also depends how fussy you are. Good thing is that the X5 cost is relatively cheap so that you have some leftover money to maintain and upgrade.

All BMWs are going to in some point of their lifetime face the problems you mention in item 2. It's considered the weak points in BMWs ownership. You should go to the E39 Parts and Maintenance Cost section to get an idea of the prices as the X5 and the E39 share many same components.

Road tax for the 3.0 X5 is about RM 1600. Can't remember the exact figure.

Hello there,

I am having issue ,with only front left side air spring it drops after 2 days once level it on the center .
but other rear springs and front Right stays on perfect position.
NO self leveling error on MID, i checked with my mechanic ,all the wiring are fine.

plz suggest me .

Bro Sajib

That's an indication that the front left air spring is having a leak. Not sure why you are not getting an error for the self leveling. Maybe it's not so serious yet. Also you should check the air tubings to see if it leaks there or not. Much cheaper to change the tubing than the air springs.

if it is the air spring leaking and if you can wait, go buy a set from a company called Arnott. The local mechanic will charge you more than 1k for each spring. Arnott will sell you for 700 for both left and right. And they deliver within a week. i got a set of rear springs as spare but will be different from your front ones or I could loan it to you first.

Good luck.

Hi all, i notice seldom got discussion in x5 board, so very difficult to find info. Can anyone help on whether x5 e53 4.4 maintenance and parts in malaysia is more expensive and rare to find? Thinking to change my e60 within this 2 months but afraid hard to find spare parts in malaysia. Tq

Yes, the X5 forum is quite quiet compared to the others. This is because there are far fewer X series compared to the other BMWs. But don't let that deter you from getting one as the Xs are exceptional cars. Yes, maintenance cost is higher but I think that can be negated by sourcing your parts worldwide rather than local. Also you need to find a trusted and reliable mechanic as most of the time when a mechanic sees a X5 coming in, he automatically increase his prices. Sad but true.

Good luck on your search. The price of a E53 4.4 is now ridiculously cheap. That's the bright side.

Thanks 525i for the reply, my mechanic told me the 4.4 parts will be around 20% more than 3.0. That is just fine for me but provided no need to leave car in workshop for few week waiting parts to arrive. x5 4.4 2002 around rm 90,000 and x5 3.0 04 around rm 115,000. I still comparing and deciding..

Even if you buy parts from Ebay, it will take about a week to arrive depending on what type of postage you choose.

If you can go for the 04 or above. That's when they facelifted it. New X drive gear box and angel eyes lights are among the upgrades.

Bomin Auto at Ipoh road, KL can order any parts for you. Take about max 3 days from date of order. Have ordered my parts from them many times.

If you can go for the 04 or above. That's when they facelifted it. New X drive gear box and angel eyes lights are among the upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Bro...my year end 2003 model already facelifted

Did the following recently

Transfer Case Chain - Bought from Cobra Transmission USA RM480 (I was told BA sells for RM1,700)
Labour and transfer case oil RM600.00

Car is back to normal now. Can tekan kuat kuat again.

What was the symptom(s) of a about to fail/failed transfer case chain? Gear not engaging?

The symptom was when you floor the accelerator there was a loud popping sound. If you gently press the accelerator everything was good. The problem is the transfer chain can elongate with time and this causes it to "jump". Hence the popping sound when it hits the transfer case cover. Other than that there was no other symptoms.

Again this is something that is unique to the X. Due to the 4 wheel drive configuration.

I guess that with regular oil change the chain's lifespan could be prolonged. Mine is ok so far....

Another repair work. Sigh!

Rear door lock actuator. Rm350 (Ebay). Labour. RM80.

Symptoms. Door lock not unlocking when using remote or the control switch. Can unlock using inside door handle. Can lock though once open.

Mine was replaced about 4 months ago. I think it is its lifespan. Driver's side rear door. Watch out for the window plastic clips next!

Top Bottom