WTA: How can we know if the car battery is going to flat ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I read somewhere in this forum, some of the members battery actually lasted up to 7 years?

thule;698169 said:
E60 battery size - DIN100 :4: the biggest size (for sedan car) out there!
Since this size is rather odd, not many shops sell it so do some research first

DIN 100 is the size code ??

Damonzero;698440 said:
I read somewhere in this forum, some of the members battery actually lasted up to 7 years?

yes, next year 8 already.. ori bmw DIN 100 !!!

Anthony5785;698771 said:
It last so long ?? those aunty use go market to buy vege one ?

no la, uncle (that's me !) on the e32... see my signature.

pussy;698847 said:
no la, uncle (that's me !) on the e32... see my signature.

LOL.....soli soli forgive uncle for bad eyesight and poor memory....

Btw, the car u use daily or week end car ? must learn from you on the maintenance skill....impressive that it last so long

Hi all,my meter cluster keep continue bright & dim...is it battery getting low?

Anthony,beside that only...

Jerman,cranking like normal...btw,normal is 1 sound?

Jerman;702666 said:
Cranking will take longer to get the engine started?

Yes it takes longer and you can feel like it not enough strenght to start the engine but such symptom also can related to starter issue.

wang;702781 said:
Anthony,beside that only...

Jerman,cranking like normal...btw,normal is 1 sound?

My car takes 3 time krak krak vroom......heheh good description

Hi guys,

My 2cents worth.

Generally, the BMW original batteries for E60s comes in the following Ah (Ampere Hours) [non AGM based]:
70Ah
80Ah
90Ah
110Ah

AGM based comes in the following sizes:
70Ah
80Ah
90Ah

The above are original battery sizes. The pricing for non-AGM 90Ah (original BMW) is around RM1085.00 from Bavarian. :)

You can use different Ah size. Personally I think it would not be a problem. I myself am using a 100Ah (DIN100) battery (non original one la..) though the default battery for mine should be a 90Ah one.

OK, in terms of registering battery. It is always better to register a new battery. Why this is important is because the car over time learns on the battery charge that needs to be supplied in order to bring it to full charge. Over time, it requires higher current to recharge an older/weaker battery. However, once you install a new battery, the current needs to be reduced and the only way the system will know is if you register it.

Another thing is, your cars are all programmed by default to accept a certain battery type (80Ah, 90Ah, etc). So if you put a higher battery, it is no problem. it will work fine but now I will provide an example. If say your car by default is programmed to accept a 80Ah battery and you install a 100Ah battery. It will work fine but the power module will always charge it till battery reaches capacity of 80Amps and never to 100Amps because the max threshold is for 80Amps in the module. So battery will always be short-charged. If you need to change battery, try to get the default size and ask the workshop to register the battery because it will provide the most optimum mode of charging and discharging.

I hope the above has helped shed some light. Anyways, our cars I think sometimes have a thought of their own! :) Sometimes they defy the oddest situations and perform the best and sometimes even in the best situations (as recommended by BMW) will perform poorly! :)

Cheers..

Thanks for the info bro. Can u kindly explain what do u mean when u say 'register' the battery? Does it mean reset/recode the idrive to accept the new battery? Thanks.

Hi Pratt,

You need to register battery with a diagnostic tool. :) Workshops will use their diagnostic tool to register the new battery. This is not do-able via I-Drive or Speedometer Cluster (as far as I know or have tried)....

pratt;703410 said:
Thanks for the info bro. Can u kindly explain what do u mean when u say 'register' the battery? Does it mean reset/recode the idrive to accept the new battery? Thanks.

Top Bottom